- - - - -

Champion Mechs Are Not A Seperate Variant In Skills.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:40 AM

So I got most of my point in the title.
When you decide to buy 3 variants to unlock the elite/master tiers champ mechs don't count as a separate variant but Hero mechs do.
Case in point I love the Kintaro 18 and have the 18 and 18C, they only count as one variant the 18, while a Golden Boy is an 18C with one additional laser hardpoint, it does count as a separate variant.
I guess the logic is you can build an 18 into an 18C but not into a Golden Boy.

There is an upside, if you don't care about elite or master and really like a variant with a champ or love the champ variant and want 2, the basic tier will already be unlocked for it to the point you have the first one. Same applies if you already have 3 and are unlocked to master tier.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 22 March 2015 - 06:42 AM.

#2 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

Well...champions are normal mechs that gets "upgraded", hence they are still that variant?

#3 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

View Postdragnier1, on 22 March 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

Well...champions are normal mechs that gets "upgraded", hence they are still that variant?

Is something easily missed, I figured I would share with the newbies. Nothing like filling a mech bay and dropping millions of Cbills to realize you moved your elite tier goal backwards.

#4 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

This happened to me. I boutht the Shadowhawk 2H with cadet funds, then I decided to spring fot the 2H (C) thinking it was another varient.

At least I bought the 2H on sale and had only upgraded to endo steel so I didn't lose too much money!

#5 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

Champion mechs aren't new variants. Hero mechs are new variants. It's really as simple as that.

All a Champion mech is, is a standard variant with a tacked-on 30% XP bonus and a pre-modified stock loadout. It retains all the quirks, all the hardpoints, and all the other aspects of the normal mech of the same variant, simply replacing some of the modular kit with (often dubious) upgraded equipment.

A Hero mech, on the other hand, is a mech either based on an established lore character or created by PGI for MWO. It allows users to break the customization system by offering a new variant with alternate (often quite different) hardpoints than any of the other variants allow. In addition, it comes with a fixed, unique paint job and a 30% c-bill bonus.

Ultimately, the interaction between each mech and the XP skill trees has to do with variant ID. Since Champions are still standard variants, they share their XP pool and their XP skill trees with the standard variant that corresponds to the specific Champion (the Raven 3L and Raven 3L (C) are both Raven 3Ls, so they share the Raven 3L skill tree and unlocks). Heroes, being unique variants, have their own skill tree and unlocks (the AS7-BH is a unique variant designated Atlas Boar's Head, and offers different hardpoints and quirks than any other AS7 variant).

#6 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 22 March 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

Champion mechs aren't new variants. Hero mechs are new variants. It's really as simple as that.

All a Champion mech is, is a standard variant with a tacked-on 30% XP bonus and a pre-modified stock loadout. It retains all the quirks, all the hardpoints, and all the other aspects of the normal mech of the same variant, simply replacing some of the modular kit with (often dubious) upgraded equipment.

A Hero mech, on the other hand, is a mech either based on an established lore character or created by PGI for MWO. It allows users to break the customization system by offering a new variant with alternate (often quite different) hardpoints than any of the other variants allow. In addition, it comes with a fixed, unique paint job and a 30% c-bill bonus.

Ultimately, the interaction between each mech and the XP skill trees has to do with variant ID. Since Champions are still standard variants, they share their XP pool and their XP skill trees with the standard variant that corresponds to the specific Champion (the Raven 3L and Raven 3L (C) are both Raven 3Ls, so they share the Raven 3L skill tree and unlocks). Heroes, being unique variants, have their own skill tree and unlocks (the AS7-BH is a unique variant designated Atlas Boar's Head, and offers different hardpoints and quirks than any other AS7 variant).

well said thanks.

#7 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:36 AM

Also, this includes all the special versions of regular variants besides champions.

Loyalty King Crab KGC-000(L) shares exp with the regular KGC-000. Same for all the Loyalty mechs.
Invasion pack Timber Wolf TBR-PRIME(I) shares exp with the regular TBR-PRIME. Same for all the special variants in packs.
Sarah's Jenner JR7-D(S) shares exp with JR7-D.

#8 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostTractor Joe, on 22 March 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

Is something easily missed, I figured I would share with the newbies. Nothing like filling a mech bay and dropping millions of Cbills to realize you moved your elite tier goal backwards.

I myself only realize it with the champion centurion i won from an event some time back.

#9 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

Yup something that's easily missed and unfortunately the Champions only give out an experience bonus which becomes useless once you get the mech to mastery unless you want to shell out money to convert it to GXP

There are a few special Champions that give a %30 cbill bonus which are the Loyalty mechs, Invasion primes and resistance primes which would be the ones with either (I) or ( r) which shows were purchased package mechs

These show as "Champions" in game despite actually giving a %30 cbill bonus instead of an XP bonus so something to keep in mind especially if you get active premium time that stacks for a total of an %80 bonus

Edited by Chocowolf, 25 March 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#10 Rakono

Rookie

• The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

unfortunately I just made this mistake today. Posted Image

Purchasing my second KC thinking that I could work on the Basic Skills while saving up for my third KC. Only to realize that I screwed myself. Quite honestly, there should be a popup or something making you aware of this before you spend the C-bills.

Now I have to save up another 20mil C-bills to get the other two KCs!!!!

#11 Ammo

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 21 posts
  • LocationStuck on something...

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:27 PM

I just spent 5.5 mil on a Catapult that was the same as the hero version I had. Wow this is irritating. A pop up explaining this is the least they could do.

#12 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:43 AM

This comes up A LOT actually.
I blame the poor user interface and general lack of info

#13 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

Yea, I bought a Stormcrow Prime (C) only to find out it was the same as my Stormcrow Prime.

Support will allow you a "opps". But I decided to keep it.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users