Posted Image

Welcome to the field.

#42 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:58 PM

3025. That doesn't apply here; that's when BT was awesome.

#43 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:12 PM

One thing I've noticed in your average pug v pug match is that LRMs on the clan side are making an heavy appearance.

...inb4 DCMS informs me that LRMs suck, I know this.

The counter to this is two-fold and simple:

a) You should have at least 2 ECM-equipped mechs in a company, and be wary of enemy UAVs (very important!!)

B) You should either HIDE BEHIND VERY HIGH COVER, or PUSH WITH ALL FORCE TOWARDS THE LRM BOATS.

Most likely, your team will not be in complete cohesion when the lrms begin to strike you or your mates. Therefore, it will nearly always be necessary for players (especially at the front) to TAKE COVER and REGROUP. After that, the hard push begins towards the missile boats. If you've got any cheeky and skilled light pilots, they can often shake up an LRM boat enough with harassment that they will be hard-pressed to continue shooting missiles. Hell, they CAN'T in most cases since the FS9 or whatever light would just open up his back hard.

Again, VERY good posts from everyone here. Topics like this are what the community needs- if this information was organized better it could even be linked to on the website or in-game far in the future!

As the esteemed GI JOE once said, "knowledge is half the battle!"

Of course, the other half is blue lasers.

#44 quantaca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:30 AM

Nice thread so far, PGI really needs to do something with the new player experience, giving more usefull tips and tutorials in game, maybe even by just flatout building better trail mechs and giving them all there basic skills, now the're putting the least experienced players in hot and/or undergunned, underarmored, unresponsive mechs some even with an XL engine which make them die even faster.

Now enough of the rant and back on topic.
Id also like to add take note of the optimal and maximum range (2× indicated optimal range for lasers and ballistic except gauss 3x optimal, and missiles only have a indicated max range) of your weapons, and use the range indicator next to your targeting reticule to know if they're in range, after some time you'll learn to judge distances and actually be able to do dmg, seriously i cant count the times i've been been shot with medium and even small lasers at over 1000m.

On the other hand dont be afraid to use those lasers at those less optimal ranges, yes med lasers don't do a lot of dmg at 500 meters but those few dmg points can make a difference, at least if you're not in danger of overheating (then just don't it will most likely get you killed) or other potential targets are closer (but then why are you shooting that far away target in the first place). An exeption to this could be someone calling for focusfire on a high priority target or trying to help out a teammate under fire (like that firestarter pilot with a deathwish) by scaring that other mech into cover

#45 Khan Felix Pryde

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts
  • LocationWinning, somewhere, but definitely winning

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:00 AM

Mother may I on an IS forum? Ok here is my pug advice. Always be firing when your team is firing, and always be moving when your team is moving. It may seem simple, but you will find that builds and consumables and all that other stuff will all be worthless if you ignore these simple rules.

Never stop moving to shoot, better you miss partially and stop behind cover than let me get a trade. I will shoot off anything I so feel like on your mech, and it will be whatever component you love most.

If your team is fighting, you should be fighting. While you are OFP there are 11 dudes fighting my 12, and losing with out you. I like to be the first one to get my paint scratched.

Now put those 2 concepts together, and you will soon be that guy who smiles as he takes partial damage while torso twisting and firing, because if that damage was not directed at you it would have been directed at that noob behind you just standing there asking to be cored. That guy who used to be you.

Edited by Khan Felix Pryde, 08 May 2016 - 11:03 PM.

#46 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:06 AM

View PostKhan Felix Pryde, on 13 April 2015 - 12:00 AM, said:

Mother may I on an IS forum? Ok here is my pug advice. Always be firing when your team is firing, and always be moving when your team is moving. It may seem simple, but you will find that builds and consumables and all that other stuff will all be worthless if you ignore these simple.

Never stop moving to shoot, better you miss partially and stop behind cover than let me get a trade. I will shoot off anything I so feel like on your mech, and it will be whatever component you love most.

If your team is fighting, you should be fighting. While you are OFP there are 11 dudes fighting my 12, and losing with out you. I like to be the first one to get my paint scratched.

Now put those 2 concepts together, and you will soon be that guy who smiles as he takes partial damage while torso twisting and firing, because if that damage was not directed at you it would have been directed at that noob behind you just standing there asking to be cored. That guy who used to be you.

Solid post. Of course, this thread was originally intended to help the newer IS pilots me and Leeroy were dropping with kill clanners. No skin off my bones if you want to help too! :P

#47 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:12 AM

View PostSandersson Jankins, on 22 March 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

Simply bar players that do not own at least 2 mechs from playing CW. I dropped with several players who were in 4 trials, playing CW for the first time. Of course, they'd usually charge out alone and die, racking up 50-100 damage over 4 mechs.
Loads of brand new players to CW will be HORRIFIED and completely turned off to the game if they are allowed to participate in it so early. Of course, if CW was far better, nobody would be barred from it. However, it is in-progress, and I can't come up with any other solution for now.
I suggest to BANN TRIAL MECHS from CW !
Posted Image
This not only will solve the problem of n00bs participating in CW without any knowlege of the game ... It also makes it more difficult for MERCENARIES to switch from IS factions to Clans ( which is a feature which isnt liked by many old style Classic BattleTech players )

Edited by Brother MEX, 13 April 2015 - 12:14 AM.

#48 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

CW is much more fun than the other game modes. Barring Trial mechs from CW means that team-oriented newbies such as myself would have to suffer the less fun game modes for longer.

I'd rather have people in CW and learning to work as a team from the get go. A newbie who knows how to follow orders can be more valuable than an arrogant lone wolf with a hundred mechs.

#49 Kreecher

• Pip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:00 AM

Interesting read. I was about to jump in to CW feet first. That would have ruined my rep before I even had one. lol. I think i'll wait until I have a group to play with and a better knowledge of the game. Back to grinding it out with PUGs.

#50 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:00 AM

View PostKreecher, on 22 April 2015 - 06:00 AM, said:

Interesting read. I was about to jump in to CW feet first. That would have ruined my rep before I even had one. lol. I think i'll wait until I have a group to play with and a better knowledge of the game. Back to grinding it out with PUGs.

Don't be afraid, jump in when you feel ready for it. Start learning there if you want. CW is different from solo queue and a lot of people get into habits from solo queue that work against them in CW. You can be master skill unlocking 3 variants at the same time if you have the c-bills for it. Trial mech xp is still xp. Once you buy the mech that xp can be immediately used.

Edited by Romeo Deluxe, 25 April 2015 - 02:01 AM.

#51 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:06 AM

It seems that the specific time-period in which myself and Leeroy are dropping is barren of organized units and the habitat of the humble PUG. We've been playing together mostly in the morning/early afternoon EST, mostly with 'Strayans and Euros.

I strongly feel that PGI should do one or two EASY things to improve CW. No new features or anything too resource-intensive.

Simply bar players that do not own at least 2 mechs from playing CW. I dropped with several players who were in 4 trials, playing CW for the first time. Of course, they'd usually charge out alone and die, racking up 50-100 damage over 4 mechs.

That simply CANNOT be fun for that person. And the worst part? They've really got no idea why its happening. First instinct is to think "wow, those clan mechs are OP, they killed me in 5 seconds!" when really they were being repeatedly alpha'd by 6 guys at once. Will people complain? Yeah, at least a few. People will complain about anything. But when the complaint translates to "I should be able to get my ass repeatedly rammed if I want to!"

..and ideally, that person SHOULD have the freedom to be dominated time and again if that is what they wish. However, when this detriments 11 other people on the team EVERY game, restriction is justified.

Okay, the second thing. For goodness' sake, make some DOCUMENTATION for CW. Hell, for ANYTHING. I've gotten roughly 10-12 brand new players into the game, for the purpose of playing CW together. Only 1-2 of us besides myself have any battletech knowledge, and I'm the only one that is a huge nerd about it. When these people were first getting mechs for CW, they had no way of telling clan mechs apart from IS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't even a way to sort mechs in the shop by clan/IS, is there? If there is, this specific anecdote is moot, but the general principle remains. Even simple links to the forums would be nice. Although anyone reading this obviously at least cares a bit about the forums, many players (maybe the majority) will NEVER set foot here unless specifically prompted to by the game itself. PGI doesn't even have to write up guides; the community has done it for them, and well. PGI just needs to present them.

Loads of brand new players to CW will be HORRIFIED and completely turned off to the game if they are allowed to participate in it so early. Of course, if CW was far better, nobody would be barred from it. However, it is in-progress, and I can't come up with any other solution for now.

As always, until any changes are made, we are responsible for teaching new players and making their experience in the game as fun as possible. PGI cannot take blame fully. We have guilt upon us if we simply ignore the new players, or even worse, deride them.

This definitely makes too much sense to come true.

Most problems summarised in one post.
Well done and on the point.

And by the way, I am not really a noob with about 500 hrs playtime but appreciate every little help to get better.
So I took the advices from OP by heart and started a new match (had 11 points in a row until then).
Enemys where only [11th]. Hmmm, never heard of the befor but they will be toast!!!

First conservative mech lasts a couple of seconds (ouch).
Second mech made it a couple of minutes (grrrr).
Third mech brought me slightly above 500 dmg until he also went to metal-heaven.
Now I only tried to save my 80 score for the challenge point with my last mech.
Ended up with a score of 77 (grrrrrrrrr!!!).
Maybe I misunderstood something from your lesson and try one more time.

Have fun

Markus

Edited by Mumuharra, 25 April 2015 - 03:10 AM.

#52 Ranger Dave

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:04 PM

Awesome advice! Hopefully some folks may find there way here during the current post steam pug-ocalypse.

Definitely reinforce;
Going through a gate, if your not shooting the gate-gen, move your assault right up, dont hang at the back of the mob.
When the call comes to push, keep moving and shooting. Don't stress of over the mass of incoming fire, the assaults take the brunt for you. If you decide at the last minute to hide behind the gate, you wasted the first push.

Between waves, don't reinforce unless someone asks. Going in one at a time is asking to lose horribly.
Ask an experienced player where they want the next wave to group up and wait there. These are usually close to the gate but in cover from sniping. If enemies poke out, focus fire them but don't chase.
Once everyone is at the regroup point, then push (see above)

These two simple things make a PUG drop far more effective.

#53 MattNovaCat

• PipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostRangerDave, on 09 January 2016 - 11:04 PM, said:

Awesome advice! Hopefully some folks may find there way here during the current post steam pug-ocalypse.

Definitely reinforce;
Going through a gate, if your not shooting the gate-gen, move your assault right up, dont hang at the back of the mob.
When the call comes to push, keep moving and shooting. Don't stress of over the mass of incoming fire, the assaults take the brunt for you. If you decide at the last minute to hide behind the gate, you wasted the first push.

Between waves, don't reinforce unless someone asks. Going in one at a time is asking to lose horribly.
Ask an experienced player where they want the next wave to group up and wait there. These are usually close to the gate but in cover from sniping. If enemies poke out, focus fire them but don't chase.
Once everyone is at the regroup point, then push (see above)

These two simple things make a PUG drop far more effective.

What he said...I learned that very fast. Nothing is more irritating than your lance-mates milling about just inside the gate or backing away from enemy fire and blocking you from advancing. Or backing into weapons' fire meant for the enemy.

Reinforcing just gets you dead one by one. Wait until you have weight of fire.

#54 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

View PostMattNovaCat, on 10 January 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

Reinforcing just gets you dead one by one. Wait until you have weight of fire.

Absolutely true.

The corollary to that is don't try to survive and wait for reinforcements. Your teams next wave will just be 11 + 1 damaged mech and then, at best, all you've done is assured that you'll drop alone when everyone else has ran out of mechs.

#55 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:38 AM

OK, so I've only dropped like 25 times before reading this topic, could be worse Posted Image

I feel that the single most important thing to do in CW is to focus fire. Even if your enemy has DPS advantage, but your fire is better focused while theirs is spread out across your whole HP pool, you will be dropping them faster than they're dropping you, and you'll probably win. From this rule immediately follows another one: follow your team's movement and stick together. Simply because if you're behind the corner or across the hill from your team, you probably can't shoot what they're shooting.

Edited by DavidStarr, 17 February 2016 - 05:38 AM.

#56 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 17 February 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

OK, so I've only dropped like 25 times before reading this topic, could be worse Posted Image

I feel that the single most important thing to do in CW is to focus fire. Even if your enemy has DPS advantage, but your fire is better focused while theirs is spread out across your whole HP pool, you will be dropping them faster than they're dropping you, and you'll probably win. From this rule immediately follows another one: follow your team's movement and stick together. Simply because if you're behind the corner or across the hill from your team, you probably can't shoot what they're shooting.

An equally important extension to this is, that, by staying with your team-mates you are also able to share the incoming damage and that is just as critical as focus fire.

#57 Spectere

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPac North West

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:47 AM

When I started dropping in CW, I found that looking up your faction's Teamspeak hub in the forums was a good way to find semi organized people. Lot of good people who will give you good advice. Just keep your head down and listen.

This is a good place to start. http://mwomercs.com/...munity-warfare/

Edited by Spectere, 27 February 2016 - 02:48 AM.

#58 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

New player, old player, doesn't matter. If you haven't read this before then you really should. If you have read it before, read it again.

#59 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:16 AM

Okay, the second thing. For goodness' sake, make some DOCUMENTATION for CW. Hell, for ANYTHING. I've gotten roughly 10-12 brand new players into the game, for the purpose of playing CW together. Only 1-2 of us besides myself have any battletech knowledge, and I'm the only one that is a huge nerd about it. When these people were first getting mechs for CW, they had no way of telling clan mechs apart from IS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't even a way to sort mechs in the shop by clan/IS, is there? If there is, this specific anecdote is moot, but the general principle remains. Even simple links to the forums would be nice. Although anyone reading this obviously at least cares a bit about the forums, many players (maybe the majority) will NEVER set foot here unless specifically prompted to by the game itself. PGI doesn't even have to write up guides; the community has done it for them, and well. PGI just needs to present them.

As a founder (that never played once BETA was finished) - I can 100% agree with this.

It is nearly impossible to get some decent/basic "noob" information for CW. Like super basic-101 level stuff.

I've joined a legion so I've managed to get quite a bit of info from them and also other items of info around the traps but there is still no "super basic" explanation. It all assumes you have a basic understanding of how it all works.

To be reasonably competitive you just cannot go into it blind. I'm taking my time in building a decent drop decent so I can be of some use rather than just using trail mechs and getting stomped (not to mention earning somewhat pointless XP for that C variant).

HOWEVER if I was no so committed to playing and learning this game and didn't look/dig resources and just received a pounding quickly... I'd probably give up which a lot of people do who are unwilling to invest a lot of time cause they love the game.

PGI should absolutely address that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users