- - - - -

New Player Mech Choices

Question Help Me

46 replies to this topic

#1 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:53 PM

Alright, I joined just today, but after a few hours of using the tutorials and about 15 real matches, I have bought my first 'Mech, a CN9-AL Centurion (aka SandRock).
What I want to know is, that in order to upgrade all the teirs of basic etc, of three of the same chassis, but what i do not understand is when you are in the skill tree, how is it that you can get so much of the GXP in order to buy extra equipment for your BattleMech, like long-range zoom function, things of that nature (which I think also helps with the pilot tree also).
But above all, since I have chosen a Medium 'Mech to go with (until I can get more C-Bills) to advance to the Heavy Class, but is there any real Medium 'Mechs out there that are able to carry at least two LRM 10s + Artemis (Artemis not really needed, but would like it) and/or an AMS/ECM system?
Also a Medium with Jump Jets would be nice, it helps a lot more for me, since I always seem to get the Viridian Bog map.:(

Another thing I have trouble is that I know how to buy UAVs and artillery/airstrikes, but how in the World do you use them in the battlefield?

Edited by Leif Tanner, 23 March 2015 - 10:57 PM.

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:42 PM

Welcome!

So you will be able to make progress in Basics for your Cent-AL and you will need three total to unlock Elite. So you could use the CN9-A and CN9-D, for example, as the other two.

You get GXP through earning XP at a small percent. You can also convert Mech XP to GXP.

One mech that can run two LRM 10s is the HBK-4J, a medium with nice quirks.

Consumables have two slots that you can reassign the keys for. I forget what the default are, but I have used 'R' and 'F' for mine. I have also reassigned my Targeting key to 'L-Alt' so I can use my thumb without taking my fingers off the keyboard as a move.

Edited by Praetor Knight, 23 March 2015 - 11:53 PM.

#3 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:44 PM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 23 March 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

Alright, I joined just today, but after a few hours of using the tutorials and about 15 real matches, I have bought my first 'Mech, a CN9-AL Centurion (aka SandRock).
What I want to know is, that in order to upgrade all the teirs of basic etc, of three of the same chassis, but what i do not understand is when you are in the skill tree, how is it that you can get so much of the GXP in order to buy extra equipment for your BattleMech, like long-range zoom function, things of that nature (which I think also helps with the pilot tree also).
But above all, since I have chosen a Medium 'Mech to go with (until I can get more C-Bills) to advance to the Heavy Class, but is there any real Medium 'Mechs out there that are able to carry at least two LRM 10s + Artemis (Artemis not really needed, but would like it) and/or an AMS/ECM system?
Also a Medium with Jump Jets would be nice, it helps a lot more for me, since I always seem to get the Viridian Bog map. :(

Another thing I have trouble is that I know how to buy UAVs and artillery/airstrikes, but how in the World do you use them in the battlefield?

Some centurions can fit 2 LRM10s, i had a griffin with jump jets and 2 missile racks, it is kind of like a centurion that can jump so you may go shopping for one of those if you like that kind of thing.

By the way GXP takes longer to get, i don't buy many zoom or other modules (buy zoom for shooting distant objects, it's good) But until you find what you really like doing you don't need them. Save that GXP up for later.

As for UAV there is a button on my keyboard to make those work. First i had to sneak up carefully on the other team without being seen.
When close enough to them (preferably behind them so they don't see the UAV) i would press the button, it may have been a button labeled "home" but check your control settings, i think they changed the button for it.
Anyway, if i was close to them the UAV would go in the air and hover above them and the little map would show me who was where, without having to see them. At this point i would hide behind a rock.
Airstrike/artystrike is much like aiming at a spot on the ground you want it to hit and pressing the button, again, i don't know the button. But you don't have to sneak close, you can aim it from 2 miles away, the read smoke from the ground shows where it will hit.
Hope that helps.

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by HimseIf, 23 March 2015 - 11:51 PM.

#4 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:47 PM

The Pilot Tree contains "modules", which have to first be unlocked with GXP and then bought with C-Bills. Modules are weightless, but are limited by the number of module slots a mech has. GXP accumulates fairly slowly, but since modules are the only thing to really spend it on CBills will more likely be your limiting factor. I would put off thinking about them until you have a mastered (or at least elited) chassis.

The two strongest medium LRM chassis right now are the Hunchback 4J and the Trebuchet 7M. That said LRM's aren't a particularly viable weapon system as they spread damage far too much, and also IMO become kind of a skill crutch for newer players which prevents them from really learning the game.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab
This is a great tool for figuring out which mechs can do what. You can also view mech quirks in the battlemech section which is an important part of building Inner Sphere mechs now.

A number of mediums have Jump Jets, though only the Cicada at the moment has ECM... and it plays closer to a fat light than an actual medium.

UAV's, Arty, and other consumables are set to a hotkey. I don't remember the defaults, but you can set them in the options menu.

UAV's are deployed directly above your head, while air and artillery are placed under your crosshairs. Artillery will behave as an area bombardment originating at the center of placement, while airstrikes will deploy in a straight line beggining at your crosshairs with an azimuth based off of your location relative to placement.

#5 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:17 AM

On the keybindings for consumables, you have 2 consumable slots. I think the keys are Home and End, or perhaps Insert and Delete. One of them is connected to consumable slot 1 (the top one in mechlab) while the other is set to slot 2 (the bottom one in mechlab). This is a change from earlier when each consumable had it's own mappable key.

All mechs except one (Inner Sphere anyway) are capable of mounting an AMS. It's usually a hardpoint in either the right torso or left torso. The Centurion's is in the right torso.

#6 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:37 AM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 23 March 2015 - 11:42 PM, said:

Welcome!

So you will be able to make progress in Basics for your Cent-AL and you will need three total to unlock Elite. So you could use the CN9-A and CN9-D, for example, as the other two.

You get GXP through earning XP at a small percent. You can also convert Mech XP to GXP.

One mech that can run two LRM 10s is the HBK-4J, a medium with nice quirks.

Consumables have two slots that you can reassign the keys for. I forget what the default are, but I have used 'R' and 'F' for mine. I have also reassigned my Targeting key to 'L-Alt' so I can use my thumb without taking my fingers off the keyboard as a move.

I have no idea how you would go about exchainginng xp to gxp

#7 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:52 AM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 24 March 2015 - 12:37 AM, said:

For example, when you have XP on a mech, if you have bought MC you can convert it to GXP.

Here is a youtube video showing how that looks: https://youtu.be/dqbY5GVcE08?t=12m34s

And if you do try this in the future, wait for when there is a special event so that you can get more GXP for converting.

Edit: Here is an example of a special event:http://mwomercs.com/...-xp-conversion/

Edited by Praetor Knight, 24 March 2015 - 12:53 AM.

#8 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:59 AM

Welcome to the game! You have chosen the Centurion-AL as your first mech, a good variant of a good chassis IMO, excellent choice. You'd also like yourself a mech that would be able to use 2 LRM10's well. Luckily enough the Centurion AL can already do this, and do it well IMO, I've ran it with 2 LRM10's myself. Of course that means you will need to upgrade your mech, one of the most fun prospects of the game, but also the one that requires a lot of C-bills. Here's a little roadmap:

Somebody already mentioned the fantastic Smurfy site, check out this link that will show you your stock AL: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ab#i=28&l=stock

There are 2 upgrades that will help you to save a lot of weight, which will enable you to add stuff you want to this mech, like that second LRM10 launcher you'd like. There's also one that will add weight but will really help your mech out. These things are:

An upgrade of your Heatsinks to Double Heatsinks.
Upgrading your Standard Structure to an Endo Steel Structure
upgrading your 200 rated Standard Engine to an XL (extra light) 275 rated engine

Doing these things is expensive but you will still get some bonus money from your leftover first 25 matches.

I'd recommend going for the engine upgrade first. In Smurfy look at the right sidebar, showing weapon systems curently. Click on the tab on top that looks like some kind of card holder (3rd one of 4). Now you'll see things like Heatsinks but also any engines your mech might be allowed to equip. All the way down is the XL275, this is the largest engine this mech might equip. Not all mechs need the biggest engine but this one could really use it. It's very costly at almost 4,5M C-bills but it is a very handy engine for all of the other Centurions you'll want to buy in the future and it will fit nicely in a good number of other mechs as well. NEVER sell XL-engines. This engine will make you move faster in terms of speed but also limb/torso movement. Speed is often life in this game. It will take up 3 slots in both side torsi though, and when one of these is destroyed your mech will be destroyed. That's a vulnerability but the hitboxes of the Centurion are ok for this.

Now look at the 200 rated engine you have now. It actually only weighs 11,5 tons, while that XL weighs in at 14 tons, a 2,5 ton difference. But wait, on mouse over you'll see it say something about heatsinks. Only 8 heatsinks fit in this mech internally, which means that in order to get to the required minimum of 10 heatsinks 2 would need to be installed outside of the engine, at 1 ton each. When you look at the XL 275 it already has 10 inside the engine (and actually room to slot in another heatsink at no cost in space but it would take up weight, engines can hold 1 heatsink for every full 25 points of rating). So getting the XL275 would net you 2 heatsinks, so you could remove 2 of the heatsinks outside of the engine, that's the 2 tons negated. Strangely enough this mech actually already has almost half a ton of free tonnage at the start, just drop 2 point of head armour and you've freed up that last half ton. Your mech would now look like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9c06cba106e5e99

You now have a spare 200 Standard. While some Standard engines are very handy for other mechs this isn't one of them IMO. Selling it would net you almost 0,5M C-bills. A good start for the next upgrade, Double Heat Sinks which come in at a heavy 1,5M C-bills. DHS are almost mandatory on just about every mech build (with very few exceptions) so they are often referred to as the DHS-taks. Get that 1,5M and make the upgrade. Check the cooling efficiency stat in the upper left in Smurfy when you make the upgrade. Wow, it just improved, even though ALL of the external heatsinks have just been removed from your mech! You suddenly have 6 tons of free space + better cooling, that's a big help right there. You can now install that second LRM10 launcher and another ton of ammo to keep those babies going, like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a8afe392c60e8e6

That leaves Endo Steel. For 1K C-bills/ton of your mech you'll have a weight saving of 5% of your mech weight, so that would be 2,5 tons of weight freed for 500K. It will also take up 14 slots of free space in your mech, so this upgrade is not recommended for mechs that need that space for other stuff. I'll add that the Ferro Fibrous armor upgrade works similarly in terms of slot costs but it gaves you a poorer weight saving. NEVER take Ferro instead of Endo, only take that upgrade when you've still got space left (This goes mostly for Light mechs that don't have the tonnage to take space intensive heavy weaponry). In addition you might want to drop that small laser, it's rather pityful on its own together with weapons with different range profiles. That would give you 3 free tons in total:

What you will do with that 3 ton is all up to personal preference. Maybe you want extra ammo for those LRM's, and it could be likely you'd want to change your energy weapons. Or some more DHS for the lasers you have. Maybe an AMS system with some ammo to help against enemy missiles? Maybe you want 4 Medium lasers, or 4 Medium Pulse Lasers, maybe drop the 2 ML and take another Large Laser? It's all up to you!

Now these are just my recommendations. Maybe you would like to make the upgrades in a different sequence, just do what feels right for you. And if you need some more help we'll be right here. :)

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:01 AM

Also a Medium with Jump Jets would be nice, it helps a lot more for me, since I always seem to get the Viridian Bog map. :(

for dual LRM10s the HBK J is probably the best Mech but it does not have Jumpjets. Medium Mechs with Jumpjets and the capability for 2 LRM10 are:
Trebuchet (LDG, 5J and 7M)
Shadow Hawks (2K, 2H, 2D)
Griffin (all except the Sparky).

the Centurians CN9-A, AH, AL and D can all carry 2 LRM10 but cannot fit Jumpjets.

GXP comes slowly, and only unlocks the modules, you still have to pay cbills to purchase them.
If you have Mech XP and basics finished on a Mech you can go to the pilot lab, Mech tree and provided you have some MC to the left of the screen about half way up will be a convert XP button, it usualy costs 1 MC to convert 25 XP to GXP, on average about every 3 months there is a "double XP weekend" event where you earn twice as much XP and can convert it at half price so 1 MC for 50 XP.

at current the only Medium Mech capable of fitting an ECM is the Cicaca CDA-3M, it cannot fit Jumpjets or Missiles.

to use a UAV, Artillary or airstrike you will have to look up the key bindings in the game menu, loke the other posters I remapped those keys a long time ago. to remap keys you double click where it lists the used key, it requires a very fast double click.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 24 March 2015 - 03:33 AM.

#10 MFZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:42 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 24 March 2015 - 12:17 AM, said:

This is a change from earlier when each consumable had it's own mappable key.

It is an addition.
You still have your consumable type related bindings.

#11 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:07 AM

Though XL engines are great to save tonnage, I always find it strange to reccomend them to beginners when the 'Mechs can do STDs about as well for significantly less money. Aside from the thing that until they he's gotten the hang of twisting, the Centurion will have some trouble getting out of the first few round alive or dealing significant damage. People always try to aim for your right torso to disarm you and if that's with an XL engine, your 'Mech goes with it. An STD gives a newcomer less to worry about and once they've got the hang of it, they can still decide to invest such a significant amount of hard-earned C-bills into an upgrade (or keep it to be able to Zombie (a 'Mech with both side torsos lost that can still fire with head or CT-mounted weapons is often referred to as this)). Keep in mind that a high-rated XL is also about the investment for a new Medium 'Mech to play around with (sans upgrades mind you), which some newcomers might find more enjoyment in rather than having to stick to one singular 'Mech for a long time.

For example: Using the roadmap build from Snaga, we can use the same weapons loadout with an STD250 after applying Endo Steel and Ferro Fibrorus upgrades (of course that means it won't have the same kind of maximum firepower as an XL version, but it will get the job done).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9d57eb00640abea

You might have noticed that the left arm doesn't have the full armor. It is unfortunately a price you have to pay with large STD engines, but the armor quirk for the left arm makes up for most of these shortcomings.

And if you wanna get a little more personal with your enemy, you could also replayce the LRM10 launchers with SRM6 launchers replace your Medium Lasers for Pulse versions, and you'd still have 2 tons to play with to up your arsenal and/or improve your heat efficiency. Alternatively, you could also install the Artemis upgrade (launchers weight on 1 ton extra and take more space, but have tighter missile spread and LRMs get a number of tracking bonuses), but that would cause the two builds to not be interchangeable without additional costs as long as you keep the weapon in reserve.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...34a725574c1ba57

This one for example replaces the two CT Medium Lasers with Pulse versions, adds a Medium Laser to the right arm and adds another Heat sink. Firing everything togetter will cause your heat efficiency to suffer, but firing the Large laser or the two SRMs on their own will generate less heat over time than your Heat Sinks can dissipate (known as "Heat Neutrality"), so using some trigger discipline can keep you from shutting down.

Of course if you are willing to take the investment risk of buying an XL engine, I'll be the last to stop you. I just personally find that the Centuring can operate very well even without an XL engine and it gives a newcomer the security that losing either side torso is not an immediate loss of your 'Mech.

#12 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:55 AM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 24 March 2015 - 12:37 AM, said:

don't do it the exchange rate is abysmal.

#13 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:30 AM

simple...

NEVER use GXP to level your Mech... just stack it until you have enough for a module....

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:09 AM

Everyone answered already with good answers.

So I'm just gonna give you a quick mech list of medium mechs, starting with Centurions since you already have one.

Edit! Added Jumpjet notification to the list.

Mechs capable of your request.
Centurions:
CN9-AL - 2 missile + AMS.
CN9-D - 2 missile + AMS
CN9-A - up to 3 missile + AMS
CN9-AH - up to 3 missile + AMS (not yet 'released' for cbills)

Hunchbacks:
HBK-4SP - 2 missile + AMS
HBK-4J - 2 missile + AMS

Trebuchet: All of them. Jumpjets on all but TBT-3C and TBT-7K

Griffin: All of them (Except the hero Sparky). JJs on all.

Cicada: None. (X-5 prototype / hero comes close, but no AMS. The only mech that cannot equip an AMS in MWO so far).

Blackjack: None. (No missiles, BJ-2 not yet in game.)

Enforcer: None. (No missiles.)

Vindicator: Hero mech only (Saint Ives Blue), only one with 2 missile hardpoints. JJs on all.

Kintaro: All. No JJs.

Then again -- you can do all kinds of crazy missile builds with a Kintaro and enough free weight.
Posted ImageMost I ever fit on was 3 LRM-20s, 1 LRM-15 and 1 LRM-10. Was it a good idea? No, but who cares. Missiles!

Shadowhawks: Only these ones. Others have the missile hardpoints but cannot mount LRM-10s + Artemis in them.
SDK-2D2
SDK-2H
SDK-2K
Jumpjets on all. Limit of 3 makes this mech, eh... it's a bad jumper.

Wolverine:
WVN-6R
WVN-7K
JJ on both listed models.

-------

The following Clan mechs can meet the criteria depending on if you build them right:
Ice Ferret. No JJ.
Stormcrow. No JJ.
(There's only 3 medium chassis for Clans at this moment.)
Shadow Cat (Not yet available in any way, but listed hardpoints mean it can be configured to have at least 2 LRM-10s + artemis and an AMS slapped on with appropriate slots free). JJs!

Note: No medium mechs have ECM capability by with MWO's current design. In the future? Possibly.

Edited by Koniving, 25 March 2015 - 11:16 AM.

#15 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:27 AM

I don´t want to be a spoilsport, but as a beginner I would not recommend to go with a LRM toting Mech at all. You will acquire bad habits that will ultimately slow down your development into a decent player.

I´ve seen new players go down that way. Some never fully recovered.

The easy looking way does not lead anywhere.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 25 March 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#16 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 25 March 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

I don´t want to be a spoilsport, but as a beginner I would not recommend to go with a LRM toting Mech at all. You will acquire bad habits that will ultimately slow down your development into a decent player.

I´ve seen new players go down that way. Some never fully recovered.

The easy looking way does not lead anywhere.

I started with a Catapult (well technically my first 'Mech was a Founders Atlas D but I still don't know what to do with that one), which taught me I didn't know Jack about 'Mech building. The 'Mech after that was a YLW which was fun but I couldn't really find one that felt just right to play in. I tried variants of the original (AC20) and Kais (Gauss) versions, but I ultimately settled for an LB for quite some time. I want back to the AC20 after the quirk-pass but I might return to the LB for good.

Things improved after I got the Stalker 5S. The XL engine found its way into the Catapult and I did major improvements with the 'Mechs performance and weapons loadout (currently 2 LRM20s and 2 SRM6s) and the 5S is still the best mixed-range supporter I've ever played. And yes, It's got 2 LRM10s. Plus 2 LLs. Plus 4 MLs. Plus 2 SSRMs. Plus dual AMS. Plus BAP. With an STD300 of course.

What this long-winded nonsense really boils down to is LRMs have their place. You don't use them exclusively and as you learn when they are useful and they aren't makes you a better player in both using and avoiding them. If Clan ECM wasn't so big thanks to HBRs round every corner, they'd even have kind of a Spanish inquisition effect. If nobody takes any precautions at all and stand around on open field, are they really useless any more?

#17 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 25 March 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

What this long-winded nonsense really boils down to is LRMs have their place.

As a noob trap. The skill ceiling of LRMs is at around 1000 Elo. Out of a maximum of 3000. Literally nobody good uses them seriously.

#18 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostModo44, on 25 March 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

As a noob trap. The skill ceiling of LRMs is at around 1000 Elo. Out of a maximum of 3000. Literally nobody good uses them seriously.

And that is a flaw in itself. If nobody uses them, nobody actually takes precautions against them. If someone takes that to their advantage properly (as it would be expected if they are playing within that Elo), you're out in the open and get swamped by missiles. If you are always prepared for LRMs, you see them as a viable threat, thus claiming LRMs to be useless is a contradiction to your bahavior.

#19 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 25 March 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

And that is a flaw in itself. If nobody uses them, nobody actually takes precautions against them.

Because you can swarm an LRM team even without ECM when using direct fire weapons. Even ad-hoc 12-mans can do it, and definitely competitive teams. It has been tried, and denied, over and over.

#20 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostModo44, on 25 March 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

Because you can swarm an LRM team even without ECM when using direct fire weapons. Even ad-hoc 12-mans can do it, and definitely competitive teams. It has been tried, and denied, over and over.

And we're back to original problem. You seem to not really consider the LRM 'Mechs in question bringing other weapons and using LRMs as additive firepower. And we're back with my original points. If I were to field my Stalker 5S, I've got about 600m of decent direct fire damage with the LLs alone. It won't win any awards in a sniping competition, but it also doesn't suffer from crippling overspecialization. And before you bring up the 6 LL 4N, the 4 LL meta from before the quirk passes had it's moments but had its troubles in disciplines that didn't involve ridgehumping and i had fun exploiting them. The 4N just goes to prove how broken the quirk system can be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users