46 replies to this topic

#41 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 March 2015 - 11:09 AM, said:

Note: No medium mechs have ECM capability by with MWO's current design. In the future? Possibly.

I know it is not a proper medium, but Cicada? Just because it plays like a light and dies like a light does not make it a light for 3/3/3/3 quiaff? ;)

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 25 March 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

They're the worst weapon in the game and it's unfair to recommend them to new players.

and yes they're worse than flamers. flamers may not do any damage and it may be impossible to actually overheat an enemy with them because their heat caps at 90% but at least you can put a flamer in your head and breathe fire like a dragon.

HAHAHAHAHA! Ah, you always know how to make me chuckle, I'll give you that. I want to like the flamer. I really do. I just can't really bring myself to do that though with the way they are right now. Also, for trying to say something is objectively worse than something else, your reasoning for why the flamer is better than LRMs is pretty questionable considering that I imagine truly competitive players favoring functionality of inflicting damage, however haphazardly, over the cosmetic advantage of looking "like a dragon."

#42 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostTim East, on 26 March 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

I know it is not a proper medium, but Cicada? Just because it plays like a light and dies like a light does not make it a light for 3/3/3/3 quiaff? ;)

Query affirmative.

But, it does not make it a medium mech chassis with a variant that can carry 2 LRM-10s + Artemis AND AMS and/or ECM.
So there are no medium mechs that fit his requirement that offer ECM.

Edit: (+ Artemis and Artemis? Pfft, you can tell I just woke up.)

Edited by Koniving, 26 March 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#43 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:58 AM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 25 March 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

that video is from 2013. no one disputes that, at one point, LRMs were insanely, unreasonably strong. they were like 2x faster than they are today and i think they did more damage. However today they are garbage. And honestly it's better that way.

last time people were complaining that LRMs were overpowered was March 2014, LRM speed was increased from 120 meters per second to 175 meters per second compared to 160 now (reduction announced within a week of the speed increase due to the number of complaints), so 15 meters per second or less than 10% is the difference between overpowered and underpowered

#44 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

View PostTim East, on 26 March 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

HAHAHAHAHA! Ah, you always know how to make me chuckle, I'll give you that. I want to like the flamer. I really do. I just can't really bring myself to do that though with the way they are right now. Also, for trying to say something is objectively worse than something else, your reasoning for why the flamer is better than LRMs is pretty questionable considering that I imagine truly competitive players favoring functionality of inflicting damage, however haphazardly, over the cosmetic advantage of looking "like a dragon."

thats because its a joke. duh. flamers suck balls.

#45 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:57 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 27 March 2015 - 12:58 AM, said:

last time people were complaining that LRMs were overpowered was March 2014, LRM speed was increased from 120 meters per second to 175 meters per second compared to 160 now (reduction announced within a week of the speed increase due to the number of complaints), so 15 meters per second or less than 10% is the difference between overpowered and underpowered

those were good times. I was getting crazy games with a SHD-2D2 with multiple LRM-5s. great stuff.

interesting how passionate some people's opinions are about those things tho, especially to new players. give everything a try. If you are starting out and spend a good amount of time in public queue to make some cbills (and you will probably need cbills if you are new), an LRM boat can be a fun mech to throw into the mix in between your TBR laser barfing (or whatever the kids are doing these days).

If I'm taking LRMS, I almost always run them as the primary weapon (BLR-1S LRM 50), with a couple medium lasers thrown in. Though, I just bought a couple Ice Ferrets and I'm messing around with a single LRM in the arm just for fun. I"m disappointed that a lot of the New Player Help threads are being derailed into a "legitimacy of LRMs in competitive gameplay" discussion." No idea why that is happening or who is behind it.

To answer one of the original questions, if you're looking for a current IS medium that can jump, I'd pick a Shadowhawk (Griffin was also mentioned but I'll take the Shadowhawk as most variants have at least one high mounted ballistic slot so you can learn to use autocannons).

Edited by Takashi Uchida, 28 March 2015 - 05:02 PM.

#46 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 28 March 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

To answer one of the original questions, if you're looking for a current IS medium that can jump, I'd pick a Shadowhawk (Griffin was also mentioned but I'll take the Shadowhawk as most variants have at least one high mounted ballistic slot so you can learn to use autocannons).

A few players, me included, feel a little cramped in the cockpit of a SDH though. Especially in the 2H or 5M, which can mount multiple ballistics in that shoulder, as the firing effects can be very distracting if not blinding, depending on ones sensivity. The Griffin has less of a tunnel-vision and the missile launcher is far enough from the cockpit to not be overly distacting. Otherwise, I do agree that the Shadowhawk is a great 'Mech. I just really don't like sitting in its cockpit.

#47 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:49 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 28 March 2015 - 05:31 PM, said:

as the firing effects [of the ballistic mount] can be very distracting if not blinding, depending on ones sensivity. The Griffin has less of a tunnel-vision and the missile launcher is far enough from the cockpit to not be overly distacting.

You're right, that could be a deal breaker for some. The muzzle flash of the ballistics can feel like it takes up a third of your already cramped view. I personally don't find it too bad unless for some reason I have AC2s or machine guns in that mount (probably not the best weapons for the mech, but hey it's fun to try).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users