Pug Queue - Let The Trash Out

3 replies to this topic

Poll: Dust Off The Trash (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Is This A Decent Option to Allow More Variety On The Battlefield?

1. Yes (4 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

when you think about it, there is an overwhelming amount of heavily under-utilized and/or un-utilized mechs in MWO - i would guess that upwards of 90% of individual mechs which are in MWO are rarely seen or completely extinct in the PUG queue

and there's a very good reason we never see them - they just plain out and out suck. their weapon mounts are horrible, they'r gimped in some way, it doesn't fit your playstyle, etc. most times there's 1 overwhelming favorite model within the chassis that everyone plays and every other model of that chassis is only ever piloted when it's being basic'd - but as soon as it's basic'd you strip the weapons and modules off and then it sits collecting layers of dust in your mech bay, never to be piloted again

wouldn't nice to see some variety in the PUG queue? have a damn good reason to dust off the garbage mechs just taking up mech bay space?

PGI knows how much each individual mech model is played - i'm sure they can make a list of mechs in order from most played to least played. and to clarify, i don't mean a general chassis like all the Commandos counting as 1 model, i mean individual models like COM-1D or the Death's Knell

well, what if every thursday PGI internally makes a list of every mech that was played in the previous 7 days and pick either 20 of the least played mechs in MWO, (or alternatively 5 of the least played light mechs, 5 med, 5 heavy, and 5 assault mechs). and as an incentive for you to play those mechs over the same old same old, PGI gives +15% CB and +15% XP to each of those mechs for the next 7 days.

so every week a new list comes out, and theoretically that new list will come out with 20 new mechs because hopefully people will have started playing last week's list of mechs and they should no longer be on the bottom 20. now if it so happened that a mech re-appears in that list 2 weeks in a row, then the 2nd week it should get +20% CB and +20% XP to give further incentive. 3rd week +25% CB/XP, and so on - if it's THAT bad that nobody plays it even with a bonus then at some point people will cave when the bonus gets big enough and it will finally disappear from the list for at least 1 week

if PGI chooses they could also put those 20 mechs on sale for 30% off that week to encourage people to buy them - i'm suggesting both a CB and XP bonus because if you already own the mech you'l prefer the CB, and if you don't own it an XP bonus might encourage you to buy it and level it

Clan mechs might have to be handled differently due to them being able to change their pods - instead of (for example) the Nova-Prime or Nova-B being on the list, maybe all the Novas would be included as 1 model - if Novas are being played less than the bottom 5 IS med mech models (which would be doubtful, but who knows)

i think lights will really benefit from this since they usually have the smallest queue % and a bonus is just what they need to boost their #'s - they are the most likely weight class which individual models might end up sticking on the 'bottom 20' for multiple weeks

Edited by JagdFlanker, 24 March 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#2 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

As a long time player, I have to say that this point right now represents the greatest variety of mechs in matches I've ever seen. Mech quirks are what did it as far as IS mechs, and quirks are just hitting for Clan mechs. Sure, there still are a few underutilized mechs and weapons in the game but overall it's much more diverse (in pug/group matches at least, CW will always lend itself to smaller diversity of mechs) than it has ever been.

I wouldn't mind mechs getting individual CBill bonuses, though I think a general bonus for running the weight class that is the smallest percentage of the queue would be nice. Similar to WoW giving bonus cash to Tanks / Healers in order to increase their numbers.

#3 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

While this idea appears to have merit to me, I also agree with Voivode that there's been more variety since PGi started undoing the nightmares of the Quirkgeddon passes & introducing iterative quirks.

So while something like this might be a neat feature to add some day, I don't see this as a priority for the near future.

#4 Vegalas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts
  • LocationAt the screen. On my seat too.

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

I mostly agree what has been written above but this thread gave me an idea. What if the faction contracts could have bonuses for certain mechs including discounts from mech purchases? This would add a neat twist to being part of a certain faction. I think that the bonuses should be a little more marginal than what has been stated by the OP. If the bonuses would be combined with premium and other c-bill bonuses a lot of money would be made by certain players namely those who have already put significant amount of money into the game. Otherwise a new large mech sale would be nice. I have been looking forward to invest in some certain mechs myself. B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users