4 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:39 AM

Now that the Zeus has dropped, I've dropped a couple times with my Steiner-themed mechs. Lore-wise, this means my deck is running a Commando, a Zeus, an Atlas, and a Blackjack (because it's the only thing that fits).

Some thoughts: Steiner mechs lack JJs - this is a problem, although having the fastest mech in the game (Commando), is kind of cool.

Here's how I built my deck out, although I'm open to suggestions:

COMMANDO
COM-2D
ECM, NARC, MPL, 149kph
Modules: Arty, UAV, MPL Range, Improved NARC

This one is WELL off the meta and I know that. I debated running my Death Knell, since it's one of my favorites, but I wanted the options of a true support mech that could both provide ECM and the ability to crush the enemy's ECMs (both with counter and NARC). This thing doesn't pour on the damage, but with the ability to NARC enemies, it might allow teammates with LRMs the ability to actually target and hit the enemy. Obviously this build is kind of dependent on teammates that have LRMs...

If not? I'd probably put the Knell in here.

BLACKJACK
BJ-1
2AC2s, 4MLS, AMS, 93kph
Modules: Arty, UAV, AC2 range, ML Range, ML Cooldown

Again, not a metabuild, and of course you can drop an AC20 in this thing and make it a brawler, but it's so fragile, I find this build is a lot more annoying. Again, you don't really do a lot of damage with it, but you can annoy a mech into leaving their perch or focusing their fire on you and ignoring a MUCH more dangerous teammate. Of all the mechs I drop with, this slot, with it's one mech, is the one I'm least sure about. I have an Arrow and a 1X, but this seems like it's the best for CW against the Clans. I'm open to suggestions on this.

Alternatively, you can drop some ammo and put in a Beagle, or the aforementioned AC20, etc.

ZEUS
ZEU-9S
3ERLL, 3MLs, AMS, 72kph
Modules: Arty, UAV, ERLL Range, ML Range, Seismic, Radar Derp

My new baby, the Zeus is like an upsized Tbolt and that's how I play it. This is one that I'm pretty happy with: tanky, packs a punch at range, runs relatively cool, has a shield arm. I might run my 2AC5 one, but I like this one better and it's more versatile. Hitting someone with a pinpoint 27 points of damage at huge range is pretty nice.

ATLAS RS
AS7-RS
4LL, 1 AC20, AMS, 59kph
Modules: Arty, UAV, LL Range, AC20 range, AC20 cooldown

I should probably be running my DDC here, but that "DC" stands for "Draconis Combine," and I wanted this to be a more Steiner-specific deck. Still, I really like my DDC so might flop that (or one of my Crabs) into this 100 ton slot. But for a stand-in, this build works. It runs hot, but if you're good at fire control, it's not bad and those LLs start to hurt at range. And the AC20 is a nasty shock for anyone who wants to get in close.

Still...I might go back to my 4LPL 0000 KGC at this slot, or some other mech. The Atlas is a fragile big and easy to hit from across the map. Especially when it isn't running ECM, it's even more so.

Lay into me, folks - and no - the goal is to run a Steiner-specific drop, NOT to run the latest meta 9SS or 4Ns.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 24 March 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#2 StUffz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 485 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:05 PM

You could remove the Atlas to fit add a Thunderbolt and to make Tonnage free to replace the Blackjack with the Griffon, which fits more into a Steiner Dropdeck.

#3 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:05 PM

Highlander, Zeus, Griffin, Commando (250)

#4 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

DC doesn't stand for Draconis Combine, as I understand it. If Steiner had the -D, they could perfectly well have the -D-DC.

The Kurita Atlas you're looking for is the AS7-K.

The -DC designator is added to the -D variant to note the upgrade to carry the Command Console. So think Dual Controls (not necessarily Dual Cockpit, which is something else). Also, a great place for those Lyran field commanders to hang out and direct the fighting. :)

Alternate option: Atlas S was A FedComm-developed variant from around the current timeline. 4SRM launchers and an AC20 does a lot of work.

1) Add -D-DC (or -S?) to dropdeck
2) Feel your Steiner pride
3) Rek face
4) ?
5) Profit

:) Enjoy!

#5 Drogra

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSLC, Utah

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

I drop with my BJ-1X in CW a lot, and I constantly pull 1000+ with it, with a couple of games breaking 1500+. 6x ML, 2x MPL, 295 XL, use its speed to harass and annoy, only stick a fight when you have an advantage. (I play it as a lighter Stormcrow. Its faster, but has shorter range, and is more fragile).

I've taken an Arrow in with 2x ERLL, but I never could get it to work. You could try taking a couple ERLL along with a single AC2 and 3-4 tons ammo in a BJ-1 or BJ-1DC for longer sustain if you want to have a long range direct fire support BJ.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users