21 replies to this topic

#1 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

Looking for advice on which raven to get to master out my 3L and Huginn (which I got on sale last week and am terribad with so far. But getting better...? I hope)

I tend to not like lights very much. I often play too aggressively, which (sometimes) works out fine in bigger mechs, but gets me killed quickly in lights. So am leaning towards the 4x, for the JJ's to get to sniping spots and jump snipe? The 2x looks interesting with the heat quirks, though it will tempt me to charge and push.

Thanks in advance :)

#2 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:49 PM

Both is normallyed similar to the 3L except on has jump jets.
The 4X used to be fun to popart with before all the nerfs.

#3 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

4X was my ac20 boat. Can be used like a laser huginn, the 2X can be nice but is under rated. Makes nice little missile boat though. Recommend the 4X to everyone.

#4 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 24 March 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

Looking for advice on which raven to get to master out my 3L and Huginn (which I got on sale last week and am terribad with so far. But getting better...? I hope)

2X with dual LL and dual ML works wonders, almost to the level of Huginn and maybe even better than 3L at times. The key to 2X's success is the Huge duration quirks, making it's LL and ML do all the damage near instantaneously. The key to it is to keep moving and then sniping here and there while moving. Plus it's basically a mini WVR-6K or STK-4N.

Otherwise 4X ain't bad, though mostly just good with either a half-way striker (2 ML 2 MG 1 ASRM6) or AC20/Gauss boat. Will be suggesting 2X over 4X though due to quirks, though it sorta plays like a 3L.

#5 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:18 PM

View Postluxebo, on 24 March 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

2X with dual LL and dual ML works wonders, almost to the level of Huginn and maybe even better than 3L at times. The key to 2X's success is the Huge duration quirks, making it's LL and ML do all the damage near instantaneously. The key to it is to keep moving and then sniping here and there while moving. Plus it's basically a mini WVR-6K or STK-4N.

Otherwise 4X ain't bad, though mostly just good with either a half-way striker (2 ML 2 MG 1 ASRM6) or AC20/Gauss boat. Will be suggesting 2X over 4X though due to quirks, though it sorta plays like a 3L.

I'll second what's been said. If you have the Huginn, getting the 4X isn't that much different. just with an extra 2 energy hardpoints, but minus a missile hardpoint (I think). Currently the 2X runs a little better.

#6 Mordoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 557 posts
  • LocationMWOsna

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:12 AM

View Postluxebo, on 24 March 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

THIS!
My favourite raven...

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:54 AM

2X, XL245, 3LL. Wrecks.

#8 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:09 AM

Honestly, I do try to play properly in the Huginn but I simply can't; some demon sits on my shoulder and after a couple of minutes spotting, scouting, careful manoeuvring etc he whispers "go!" in my ear and that's it, full speed ahead, fingers firmly pressed on the triggers cackling like a loon, shredding everything in sight until my inevitable end...you know that bit in Waterworld with the guy on the 4 x .50 cals? Well, it's a bit like that.

The only way I had ANY joy with the 4x was to pretend it was slow 3L with jjs, it just seems to sit in the middle of all the others; sold it as soon as I got mastery on the Ravens as I couldn't really find a role for it in my mechlab.

I've not played the 2x but, in general, it seems to be better than the 4x in most ways, so, if knew what I know now, I would take the 2x over the 4x.

#9 A Vieira

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:12 AM

Getting my 2 cents in, I was faced with same choice, since I already had 3L and Huginn (from sale). Ended up getting the 4X and have not regreted it one second. Strapped a XL260, 2 LPLs and a jumpjet to it and have been getting more results than the 3L and Huginn. 132 Kph (134 if you have a XL265) and 511m on the LPL (with range module) is pretty good.
The high mounted hardpoints, good range and small fire time on the pulses really allows you not being too much of a target. (It does have +30% Energy Range and -30% Energy Weapon Duration) One time had a shootout with a 3L at around 500m and I won easily since I could shoot and go to cover faster.

#10 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 31 March 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

2X, XL245, 3LL. Wrecks.

I must admit that I never considered putting 15 Tons of weapons on the 2X.
It is cheap !

#11 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostShinVector, on 31 March 2015 - 05:23 PM, said:

I must admit that I never considered putting 15 Tons of weapons on the 2X.
It is cheap !

Post-quirks I messed with the 2LL/2ML build and it was OK, but got chatting with some good players running it and they were all running 3LL. It's nasty.

It's hilarious to me that this is back at the old RVN-2X/4X engine cap that seemed so constraining.

Edited by Terciel1976, 31 March 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#12 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:30 PM

The 3LL RVN 2X is legit.

#13 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 31 March 2015 - 05:30 PM, said:

The 3LL RVN 2X is legit.

Surprised I had not seen any Assault pilot QQ a river in forums about it yet.
LOL..

Edited by ShinVector, 31 March 2015 - 05:35 PM.

#14 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

View PostShinVector, on 31 March 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

Surprised I had not seen any Assault pilot QQ a river in forums about it yet.
LOL..

Well, it's kindof an unusual light, not so much about killing big mechs in the back, but about poking efficiently. And it's not fast, so you can't dance too much. Unique play style, but surprisingly effective.

#15 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:54 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 31 March 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

Well, it's kindof an unusual light, not so much about killing big mechs in the back, but about poking efficiently. And it's not fast, so you can't dance too much. Unique play style, but surprisingly effective.

Slightly less range but it is a superior hit-run versus something like the Wolverine 6K.
That -30% duration laser duration man... DERP !!
Probably made some heavies in HPG go... WTF!! How'd that Raven kill me so, fast.

#16 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:21 PM

I personally like my Raven 4X. I find it's hard points well rounded for me, and it can be very deadly.

However, the buffs of the 2X I find make it a good heavy hitting in and out mech. I have mine with a LPLs, 2 Med lasers and an SRM4.

Each are good choices. I think it will come down to what you like and how you like to play. JJs and MGs, or more energy based weaponry?

#17 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

Yeah the 3 LL RVN-2X is legit but requires a smaller engine. Without speed tweak it sorta is harder to play, similar to the 2 LPL RVN-2X before they changed the quirks.

But 4 LL RVN-2X... Jesus it might be as slow as the AC20 4X jumper but it has sooo much damage output. Hot and slow but it hits hard.

#18 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 24 March 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

I tend to not like lights very much. I often play too aggressively, which (sometimes) works out fine in bigger mechs, but gets me killed quickly in lights. So am leaning towards the 4x, for the JJ's to get to sniping spots and jump snipe? The 2x looks interesting with the heat quirks, though it will tempt me to charge and push.

Thanks in advance :)

I would say 4x, but I would avoid building it into a sniper. It has a fairly similar role compared to the Huggin. Even if you feel like your skill with the Huggin sucks right now, it gets better trust me. Huggin is a powerhouse mech when you get used to it.

I would purchase the 4x, make some upgrades, and max the engine, maybe convert to pulse lasers for good measure:

Huggin's Little Sister

#19 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 31 March 2015 - 05:25 PM, said:

It's hilarious to me that this is back at the old RVN-2X/4X engine cap that seemed so constraining.

It did? I guess I'm crazy, because I dumped engine power to make my counter-gausskat AC2 shaker build on the 4x. But then, I never operated under the theory that it was a Jenner.

#20 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostHimseIf, on 24 March 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

4X was my ac20 boat. Can be used like a laser huginn, the 2X can be nice but is under rated. Makes nice little missile boat though. Recommend the 4X to everyone.

Agreed, you dont know how fun MWO can be until you cram an AC20, XL195, 4SHS, ENDO, FERRO, and 4 tons of ammo into a raven.
Seriously had some of the best moments in this mech, no one ever expects it!

Also it has +30% range for the AC20 so that is pretty substantial (351M AC20).

Edited by DONTOR, 01 April 2015 - 08:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users