- - - - -

New Player With A Couple Questions.

3 replies to this topic

#1 420Prophet420

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:45 PM

Hello everyone,

Still downloading the game as I type this. I only play one other MMO at this time (WoT) and can't wait to try out MWO. Going into that other game I ignored the forums and game mechanics for a long time before realizing I needed to actually learn how to play.

So having to work from behind the curve in that game to get decent. I figured it would be a good thing to visit the forums here before making that same mistake.

1) Is there a stat system attached to this game? (The other game I play has a system [known as WNX] and a mod that displays it in game [known as XVM])

2) Does this game have/allow any kind of modifications to the client (mods)?

That's pretty much all I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll be back within a few days with more questions.

Edited by 420Prophet420, 24 March 2015 - 11:46 PM.

#2 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:40 AM

Welcome to the game! The main tip I can give you at this moment is that for your first 25 matches you will earn bonus C-bills, after this your winnings will drop drastically! During these 25 matches try out a good number of the trial mechs, try and determine which mechs you like, and what playstyle fits you. Armed with this information return to this forum and let us help you pick a first mech. Your first mech is very important as this will be the one you spend a lot of time with, grinding out C-bills to upgrade it and subsequently earn enough to get other mechs. Picking a wrong mech can truly worsen the grind.

As for your questions:

1) There is a stat system attached to this game. You can find it here: https://mwomercs.com/profile/stats ?

Note the tabs for different stats. That said, stats mean little in this game, except maybe for your W/L record. This is a team based game, only by working as a team will you attain victory reliably. If you try to rambo you WILL die. You cannot display these stats in game so they are solely there for personal e-peen.

2) This game does not allow any kind of modifications to the client. You may use macro's though, these are sometimes used for firing certain weapon(groups). And some people just like a certain cadence to their weapon fire. Nothing broken, nothing for people to whine about.

#3 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

View Post420Prophet420, on 24 March 2015 - 11:45 PM, said:

Hello everyone,

Still downloading the game as I type this. I only play one other MMO at this time (WoT) and can't wait to try out MWO. Going into that other game I ignored the forums and game mechanics for a long time before realizing I needed to actually learn how to play.

So having to work from behind the curve in that game to get decent. I figured it would be a good thing to visit the forums here before making that same mistake.

1) Is there a stat system attached to this game? (The other game I play has a system [known as WNX] and a mod that displays it in game [known as XVM])

2) Does this game have/allow any kind of modifications to the client (mods)?

That's pretty much all I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll be back within a few days with more questions.

1 - Stats are tracked in your Pilot Profile on the site here.

2 - You can do some limited modification to the user.cfg to do things like change your field of view (highly recommended), remove film grain and motion blur (highly recommended), etc. You can also use macros, since it's essentially impossible for PGI to prevent that. As for other mods, generally it's a rule for multiplayer-only games that you can't mod your game. IIRC it's flat-out against the terms of service to do so, and if you get caught you might find your account banned.

Other than that, browse the New Player Help for various topics - a lot of new players are asking the same questions you probably will, and many that you might not even have thought of. Also, the builds and guides section can be helpful.

#4 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:44 PM

There are some data you need to know. Weapon damage, rate of fire, cooldown in between each shot, maximum effective range against maximum range, heat mechanics and ghost heat, engine speed and torso twist speed, and others.

Take a look at this website's details for about a month or so :
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

I'll give you Spike Brave's video tutorial link since i can't remember the others :
http://www.youtube.c...tNUCKmcC0Q7pKJQ

Just a little guide - treat the torso twist as the same as the gun turret on your tank in WOT. Next, imagine your tank turret has arms that can move both horizontally and vertically (need to remove armlock in options to make this possible).

Edited by dragnier1, 25 March 2015 - 11:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users