Video

1 reply to this topic

#1 HungriCroc

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

Hey everyone,

I've uploaded another new video concerning the mech the Banshee that is currently on trial (unless I am mistaken and it no longer is...), but yes, hoping to receive some feedback like always on the content itself and how again, I can be a better mechwarrior pilot in general.

Again, I wish to illiterate that while I am not the best player out there I certainly do my best and I am simply bringing my first thoughts and impressions of the mech when I commentate and play live.

Thank you so much for continuous support and I look forward to hearing back.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:34 AM

I provided more feedback to your Mist Lynx video, so I'll keep this one short and sweet. (edit: okay, I lied, turned out longer than I expected. :P )

Generally you think of Assault mechs as the Hellbringer and the Timberwolf and the Direwolf because they have a lot of weapons. Well, that's nowhere near accurate, actually. Assault mechs are mechs that weigh 80 tons or more. The Hellbringer weighs 65 and the Timberwolf weighs 75 - they are both Heavy mechs and both are actually among the most agile Heavy mechs in the game. The fact that they are strong doesn't means that they are assaults. Assaults are (generally) very slow mechs with a LOT of armour. Since they're so slow, they're hard to use, so you might lose that armour very quickly if you're not careful, unlike other mechs which are maneuverable enough to get you out of harm's way before you take too much damage. The Direwolf, however, is actually an assault mech. It's pretty much the slowest, heaviest, most armoured, biggest guns mech in the game. It's also super hard to pilot because enemies will always try to kill a big target like a Direwolf first.

You like ER Large Lasers instead of Large Pulse Lasers because you think it's easier to deal damage to moving targets with the former. This is actually backwards. Pulse Lasers deal their damage in a shorter amount of time, so every lingering moment that you make contact with them deals a greater percentage of the total damage you were capable of dealing. Regular lasers, on the other hand, especially ER Larges, have the longest beam duration, which means you need to stay on target with them for a much longer period of time to deal the same amount of damage. Pulses actually do more damage total, as well. They're ideal for hitting small and fast moving targets, whereas regular lasers are better against slower targets or if you have steady aim.

That trial Banshee is equipped with six Large Pulse Lasers, but you only ever used four of them! :D
Group 1 (left click) is two lasers, Group 2 (right click) is two more, and Group 3 (number 3 or whatever you have bound it to) is two more. You never fired Group 3 even once, so that's why it ran so much cooler than you expected. If you fired all six at the same time, you'd have a bad time. It's really hot.

That said, this build is actually very good when used properly. You can reset your weapon groups with the arrow keys and using Right Ctrl to toggle on/off each weapon to assign groups. With the trial mech I'd recommend

Group 1: the first three lasers
Group 2: the last three lasers
Group 3: all six lasers set to chainfire (so they fire one at a time)

This should make it so when you left click you fire all the ones on the left and when you right click you fire all the ones on the right. Now be careful! If you left click and right click at the same time, it fires all six and that's a LOT of heat. It'll probably shut you down. So you need to learn to have trigger discipline and not panic and "fire everything!!!" whenever you get into a tight situation. All of that said, I'd recommend you give the default weapon groups a try again now that you know that there's a third weapon group. While my recommended set up is "better", it's also harder to use. You might have more luck with the default, so feel free to try both ways and see which works better for you.

The reason I recommend firing three at a time is because it's the most you can fire simultaneously before it's too much for for the mech to handle. If you fire four simultaneously, you get "ghost heat", which is where you're overloading the systems and generating more heat than normal. It's a mechanic set in place to prevent people from firing too many weapons at once and dealing absurd amounts of damage to a very specific component on a mech.

Be aware that the trial Banshee has an XL engine. XL engines weigh less, so you can put a larger (faster) engine in the mech for the same tonnage as a STD engine, but they have one huge drawback: they occupy three critical slots in each of your side torsos. Any engine is destroyed when you lose three criticals slots in combat, so if you lose even one side torso, you're done - you blow up. Anybody on the enemy team that looks at your loadout in their target info and realises you have an XL engine will aim for your side torso to kill you faster because it doesn't have as much armour as the center torso. You need to torso twist to protect your damaged side - show them your big fat arms, since they're just meatshields on the Banshee; they're only good for soaking up damage (but they're good at it).

It's worth noting that Clan mechs have slightly different XL technology. They only occupy two criticals in each side torso, so any Clan mech can lose one side torso and still survive because they only die when you lose three slots.

Edited by Tarogato, 07 April 2015 - 02:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users