62 replies to this topic

#41 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:02 AM

Reason #287 why collisions in MWO were a Good Thing ™.

#42 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:45 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 March 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

Reminded of the penny arcade manual.
I think something like this would be cute in its own right.

Here it is: http://mwomercs.com/pennyarcade

#43 ninjaphobos

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 96 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

View PostBanditman, on 26 March 2015 - 06:02 AM, said:

Quoted for Truth

#44 Mad Skull

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts

This is a big thing that I see way to much. But a lot comes into play. I died so many times because I was unable to get back into cover because of someone riding right behind you. And yes someone brought up about someone might be walking behind you and hit the rev and then that guy can't stop in time. Exactly but why follow right behind him then?

#45 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:04 AM

One of the biggest factors contributing to blue on blue fire and getting tangled up in teammates is the fact that the maps are way too small for 12v12.

#46 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

View PostRyokens leap, on 26 March 2015 - 07:04 AM, said:

One of the biggest factors contributing to blue on blue fire and getting tangled up in teammates is the fact that the maps are way too small for 12v12.

Big maps make the slow fat assaults cry. So that's not gonna change.

Note how small the CW maps which were claimed to be HYOOOOOGE are smaller than Tourmaline.

Edited by Kjudoon, 26 March 2015 - 07:07 AM.

#47 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostBanditman, on 26 March 2015 - 06:02 AM, said:

Bump. Like I stated in another thread that was the same topic, I'd be taking my Dragon all the time. You want to run up my rear, fine. When I knock you down when I back over you, you become my shield against all the enemy firing at my position, instead of the opposite. That will teach players to be aware and not get right behind a mech.

#48 ninjaphobos

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 96 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 26 March 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

Bump. Like I stated in another thread that was the same topic, I'd be taking my Dragon all the time. You want to run up my rear, fine. When I knock you down when I back over you, you become my shield against all the enemy firing at my position, instead of the opposite. That will teach players to be aware and not get right behind a mech.

Rather than knock-downs, I would rather see slow-downs (think 5 seconds "damage over time" speed loss and increase from zero to initial speed) with massive cockpit shake (think stumbling around after getting your head rattled) and a damage spread over colliding components and chances for crit hit. This benefits a number of ways:
1) NO DRAGON BOWLING. Both mechs go to 0 kph temporarily.
2) Lights better keep your distance or you're going to 0 kph in front of (or behind) a mech with much higher firepower and that will speed back up to its initial speed (read: same rate of speed increase so a mech traveling 60 kph like an assault reaches "top speed" and, therefore, top maneuverability about twice as fast as a mech traveling 120 kph.
3) It damages both mechs, but lights have less armor/internals.
4) Enables DFA (crit hit on the head).
5) You don't have to bring back the "placeholder" knock-down animation or anything like it. Cockpit shake is already in the game and an effect can easily be derived from it for a mech-to-mech collision.

Discuss.

#49 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostTesunie, on 25 March 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

I agree, though sometimes one is trying to help you out, and end up seeing your "reverse lights" go on, and can't stop fast enough to get out of your way. Just saying.

Though it is always a good idea to try and not stand directly behind an ally's backside. It not only hinders your weapons, but hinders their movements.

spoken like a pro :)

#50 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostMad Skull, on 26 March 2015 - 06:45 AM, said:

This is a big thing that I see way to much. But a lot comes into play. I died so many times because I was unable to get back into cover because of someone riding right behind you. And yes someone brought up about someone might be walking behind you and hit the rev and then that guy can't stop in time. Exactly but why follow right behind him then?

I've had it happen when I was following with what I perceived as a good distance in my slower mech trailing behind a faster mech. They kicked their reverse on, and so did I. We ended up colliding anyway because they where faster (with skills maxed which I did not have yet on that mech) and I was still reversing direction. (Thankfully we each were behind cover when we collided, but it can happen even with space between mechs sometimes.)

Sometimes, you think there is enough space, but there isn't when reaction times and speed changing abilities come into full play. (Like if a fast medium is following a faster light. Or a heavy/assault is following a nimble medium mech...) Always agree with trying to give as much space as you can between yourself and allies. (Of course within reason for anyone who thinks to take this literally! :P )

#51 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

Sometimes you don't see the ally.
True story to pass on.
Once was running a Panther on Canyon, did not see the friendly Dire Wolf. Imagine the fun for both of us when, with full armor, I dash left only to get one shotted in the back by the Ultra Dire.

#52 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 26 March 2015 - 06:45 AM, said:

Indeed. Though I meant making one like that video but in the form of a Penny Arcade manual for proper spacing with examples of bad spacing and what happens if you get too close to the space ostrich.

#53 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:34 PM

Here's another thing... lateral movement is what makes people miss, so be aware of the area on left and right of the person in front of you too. Watch the legs of those guys in front of you and orient yourself in a way that you'll be out of the way when they back up. Often, you can predict the direction of their movement in this way and fill the gap with an alpha against the same target and possibly help keep your ally alive.

#54 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

View Postninjaphobos, on 26 March 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

NO DRAGON BOWLING

But, I soooooo miss Dragon Bowling.

#55 PhoenixHawk OSF

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:11 PM

One of the first things I was taught by an extremely experienced member of the unit I joined was, "Give the person in front of you room to move. Don't get right behind him."

#56 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

View PostMondeza, on 26 March 2015 - 04:50 AM, said:

I could not agree more.......also because I learnt this lesson from WhiteBear.

#neverforget :P

#57 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 25 March 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

This.

I think we need a MWO version of this.

Please do not penetrate my safe driving space.

#58 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:53 PM

There is virtually always room to follow a supported mech closely, but not directly behind. There is a reason the miltary uses all those fancy formations, like wedges.

#59 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostTarogato, on 25 March 2015 - 05:22 PM, said:

Many times it's the person in front who is at fault for stopping.

I can't tell you how many times I saw an ally start moving out of a piece of cover, so I think "Oh, they're leaving, I'll follow them and support them." and then as they crest the opening they decide to change their mind and backpedal and suddenly I'm in their way because I was misled into thinking they weren't going to stop.

If you're one of the people who does this, stop it. It's annoying. If you don't planning on charging forward, don't make it look like you're planning on charging forward - go to half throttle or less. But if you're charging full throttle through an opening, I can only assume you're going to keep going. Mech body language - it's a thing. =P

People regularly peek out of cover to shoot and then retreat back into cover, it's your fault if you find yourself blocking somebody because you followed directly behind them.

I still remember one time on Crimson Strait when I was repeatedly peeking out of cover (in my Jenner) to shoot at a nearby Dire Wolf who was also engaged with other teammates, only to find that after the 4th or 5th time doing that some moron teammate decided to completely block me from behind and I took a bunch of damage as a result when I couldn't go back into cover and had to scramble around out in the open to find another way to retreat since I had no idea somebody came up behind me. Whose fault is it in that situation there that I got blocked? It's definitely not mine, so it must be the fault of people like you who think like that.

Edited by Pjwned, 26 March 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#60 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:04 AM

View PostPjwned, on 26 March 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

People regularly peek out of cover to shoot and then retreat back into cover, it's your fault if you find yourself blocking somebody because you followed directly behind them.

I still remember one time on Crimson Strait when I was repeatedly peeking out of cover (in my Jenner) to shoot at a nearby Dire Wolf who was also engaged with other teammates, only to find that after the 4th or 5th time doing that some moron teammate decided to completely block me from behind and I took a bunch of damage as a result when I couldn't go back into cover and had to scramble around out in the open to find another way to retreat since I had no idea somebody came up behind me. Whose fault is it in that situation there that I got blocked? It's definitely not mine, so it must be the fault of people like you who think like that.

Often times it's still the person in front who's at fault. I can't count the number of times where I was in a slow Assault (Atlas, King Crab, Dire Wolf), nearing a corner and someone in something way faster overtook me. He rounded the corner, saw red triangles and immediately slammed the reverse, of course backpeddaling into me. I'm still there, you know. I can't evaporate and I can't evade you. It's not my damn fault, if you want to live you might want to be behind the Atlas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users