#1 PhoenixHawk OSF

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

I just have to say this in a public forum:

If someone is in a line of fire and trying to back up out of it, don't walk up right behind them and push. You're just getting them killed. Give you teammates room to retreat.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

I agree, though sometimes one is trying to help you out, and end up seeing your "reverse lights" go on, and can't stop fast enough to get out of your way. Just saying.

Though it is always a good idea to try and not stand directly behind an ally's backside. It not only hinders your weapons, but hinders their movements.

#3 PhoenixHawk OSF

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

Exactly. I know not everyone can anticipate needing to get out of a tight spot, but in the city maps, moving into a space between 2 buildings, and right up another mech's tailpipe, isn't a smart move. Had it happen a lot lately for some reason.

Also finding teams rushing off and leaving the Assault lance alone. While working on getting my Stalkers to Elite, I've been overrun from behind 3 times today by a medium/light 6-8 mech push. Before we can even turn to see who is shooting us, we're dead.

#4 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

This.

I think we need a MWO version of this.

#5 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

Many times it's the person in front who is at fault for stopping.

I can't tell you how many times I saw an ally start moving out of a piece of cover, so I think "Oh, they're leaving, I'll follow them and support them." and then as they crest the opening they decide to change their mind and backpedal and suddenly I'm in their way because I was misled into thinking they weren't going to stop.

If you're one of the people who does this, stop it. It's annoying. If you don't planning on charging forward, don't make it look like you're planning on charging forward - go to half throttle or less. But if you're charging full throttle through an opening, I can only assume you're going to keep going. Mech body language - it's a thing. =P

#6 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

No no no taro, its just your fault for lacking battle awareness. Read you allies as well as your enemies. You should be able to detect the fear in your team for better word for it.

Edited by ManDaisy, 25 March 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#7 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

Sometimes, one might have full intentions to move to another area, and then they look to the side...Oh my. There is a lot of them there... I had best get back behind cover... Why am I not able to go back now?!

This is situationally dependent. Sometimes, it's no one's fault.

#8 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

How about not following directly behind someone in the first place? Its not like you can fire at anything but your teammates back from that position anyhow.

#9 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

With what I'm noticing in CW, you should have a never be closer than 100m to another mech. unfortunately, since you can only see a 90 degree window in front of you this is very difficult to do. So not only does turning to look help there, it also helps roll damage if you're being shot at. Learn to turn.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 25 March 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

I think we need a MWO version of this.

Reminded of the penny arcade manual.
I think something like this would be cute in its own right.

#11 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

View PostTarogato, on 25 March 2015 - 05:22 PM, said:

I can't tell you how many times I saw an ally start moving out of a piece of cover, so I think "Oh, they're leaving, I'll follow them and support them." and then as they crest the opening they decide to change their mind and backpedal and suddenly I'm in their way because I was misled into thinking they weren't going to stop.

You are the problem.

There's a dozen valid places to be on a battlefield. Directly behind your friendlies is not one of them. You can't support them from there, you've got no line of fire if an enemy moves in front of them. If a slower 'Mech is moving out of cover in front of you, you move tangent to their path and THEN forward. If you can't do this then chances are you're at a choke point, and getting behind that 'Mech who turns the corner into something nasty is as good as killing them.

I'll do this to enemies if I'm in a light 'Mech. Out of ammo? I'll jam myself in behind an enemy to hold them in place.

Edited by no one, 25 March 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#12 Skarlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 328 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:17 PM

If you're one of the people who does this, stop it. It's annoying. If you don't planning on charging forward, don't make it look like you're planning on charging forward - go to half throttle or less. But if you're charging full throttle through an opening, I can only assume you're going to keep going. Mech body language - it's a thing. =P

That's bad thinking though. A mech that advances forward won't necessarily know if they are walking into a firing line. Fog of war is a thing, and it means that at any moment that mech may need to either back up very quickly, or die. He may have had every intention of charging forward, only to see tons of guns pointed in his direction, and realized it was suicide to advance. That's not his fault. It is however YOUR fault for blocking him. Never assume someone won't change their mind based off of new information they get when they turn that corner or crest that ridge. In addition, what if they had just blindly charged forward and you followed in behind? Congratulations, you're now both dead having charged single file into a firing line. You'd have been better off if that mech had turned back, and the massive laser vomit and ballistics crashing against him would have been a great warning to not go that way.

If you're in a narrow space, walk BESIDE the mech you're advancing with so you can BOTH back up quickly. If it's too narrow to walk beside it comfortably, then keep your distance and pop-tart over it if you can for fire support. If you can't pop tart and you can't walk beside the mech, don't accompany it. Go around and find a wider angle you can get a similar look at.

Recognizing when an area is too cramped to fit two or three mechs is vitally important. Congested areas where not everyone can immediately fire their guns at the enemy is just begging for an air strike or artillery at best, or a big push from a less congested enemy that can create an easy 3 or 4 on 1 who can shoot and 1 who can't situation at worst.

#13 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

Been mentioned before, some people just do not read the forums.
I know this is true, I recently ran into people during the Lucky Charms event who thought it was over when it wasn't because the link could not be found on the main MWO page.
I would also add in the people who walk into your line of fire too.

#14 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:35 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 25 March 2015 - 06:24 PM, said:

I would also add in the people who walk into your line of fire too.

Sometimes that can not be helped. I know I've done it many times. Typically, if I walk willingly into your line of fire (because I need to move, typically in a light mech), I'm willing to take my lumps.

#15 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:59 PM

I can't tell you how many times I saw an ally start moving out of a piece of cover, so I think "Oh, they're leaving, I'll follow them and support them." and then as they crest the opening they decide to change their mind and backpedal and suddenly

Actually I have a lot of problems with this statement.
Just to put it straight we do not have rear view cameras in our mechs.

Under tense situation at the front lines where you could be facing high alpha SOBs... Getting in and out ASAP matters alot.
Worst situation is getting tailgated far far too close in that situation. You just want to poke, take a shot, retreat ASAP.. But instead something stops you.. You are still visible to the enemy.. Get shot up... Look behind... Ahhh.. That was what was stopping me... A friendly mech.

Honestly it is the 'not so good' players that tend do this (I am not saying you.. LOL)... Lack of situational awareness on what your team mates are doing.
I find that most veteran players give each other space to work. Else instead of standing behind you, our can stand next to them on the side... Or use JJs to poptart..
Never stand behind someone that is obviously firing at something... You will get them killed.

Edited by ShinVector, 25 March 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#16 Mondos

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

I think it is about time someone wrote up a good post with diagrams of maneuvering.
Where to be in relation to a team mate who has taken point.
How to handle bottle necks.

#17 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:15 PM

View PostMondos, on 25 March 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

I think it is about time someone wrote up a good post with diagrams of maneuvering.
Where to be in relation to a team mate who has taken point.
How to handle bottle necks.

Kinda pointless in solo pug.
You team work and formation natural in proper group drops.

#18 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

View PostShinVector, on 25 March 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

Kinda pointless in solo pug.
You team work and formation natural in proper group drops.

It can be done in PUGs, but often times it's you making sure you work around your teammates rather than having them working with you and you with them equally... It's much easier in a group of players who are already familiar with each other, and are in better communication with each other as well.

#19 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:18 PM

It happens, and takes time to move back too.

But what frosts me is people who "need" the entire ramp. You don't get to claim 100 yards of lane.

Worse, the ones who step in front of your firing lane, then back into you and get mad at you for blocking *them*

#20 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:18 PM

Watch before you run right in front of a team mate, chances are you are about to walk into their fire. And if your in a light, for the love of god, unless you guys are coordinating - do not stand in front of heavies/assaults.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users