1St Drop For Is Needs 10-12 Assaults! Math Proof.

57 replies to this topic

#21 Klappspaten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

Allthough an pure assault drop can be very effective, on the first wave it is wasted.

First of all, to open the gates and get inside takes time, with a bunch of assaults even more so, it makes much more sense to open up the gate with an medium and heavy drop, supported by two ECM lights and then take an drop with 12 assaults in the second wave.
Even if you did not get 12 kills in the first wave, you will hit an defending force that is damaged and this allows you to properly use the weight advantage that you have if you push with 12 assaults.

#22 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:34 PM

View PostLeeroy Mechkins, on 28 March 2015 - 07:54 PM, said:

ERLL has low dps and cannot hold against a charge.
I have elited 5SS with 4ERLLs and gave up on them for these reasons.

Funny, I run both a TDR-5SS and a BLR-1S both with 4 ERLLs and they do the job very effectively, and does pretty decent when pushed upon. This "low" DPS you speak of sure seems nonexistent. Funny how that works.

Edited by Novawrecker, 28 March 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#23 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:33 AM

View PostNovawrecker, on 28 March 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:

Funny, I run both a TDR-5SS and a BLR-1S both with 4 ERLLs and they do the job very effectively, and does pretty decent when pushed upon. This "low" DPS you speak of sure seems nonexistent. Funny how that works.

What else do you run on the BLR? Just cram it with heatsinks?

My BLR-1S with 4 range-module'd LLs and 2 LRM5s is my most effective mech, usually getting 500-600 damage if I play well.

Just looking for suggestions!

#24 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:46 AM

Been stomping clans all weekend. In groups and solo. (ok I lost a few solo) IS needs no more help vs clans. Clans probably need a few more quirks now to compete with IS.

#25 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

The advantage of assaults is that it gives waves more staying power.
If its attrition or defence, that is a very good thing.
A bunch of assaults that survives 2 to 4 waves can form a core around which a sustained push can reinforce.

#26 PerfectDuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 328 posts
  • LocationLenexa, KS

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostSandersson Jankins, on 29 March 2015 - 02:33 AM, said:

My BLR-1S with 4 range-module'd LLs and 2 LRM5s is my most effective mech, usually getting 500-600 damage if I play well.

XL400 and 22 heat sinks. I've gotten over 2000 dmg before first death when playing the NS-style sniper dominance wave on Boreal.

#27 MrZakalwe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 640 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

View PostMaccasimus, on 29 March 2015 - 02:46 AM, said:

Been stomping clans all weekend. In groups and solo. (ok I lost a few solo) IS needs no more help vs clans. Clans probably need a few more quirks now to compete with IS.

As a clan and inner sphere player I'd say the balance is pretty close right now but this event you would think the clans are weak and this is due to their terrible trial mechs :)

#28 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:10 PM

Just cram it with heat sinks. It may appear as a low alpha "on paper", but have two - four players all shooting the same mech at the same loc = very damaged to dead mech. Like Perfect Duck, I've achieived 1600-2k damage runs on the BLR.

Edited by Novawrecker, 29 March 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#29 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

Here is the difference between a Thunderbolt and a Stalker I discovered.

12 Thunderbolts and 12 Stalkers are equally good at taking ground, as their firepower is about equal.
However, Stalkers can hold that ground much longer than the Thunderbolts because of their HP.

This is an important difference when in defence or when trying to build a beachhead in attack.
A Thunderbolt force tends to collapse and get wiped out.
A Stalker force has more staying power and and can form a foundation the next waves can reinforce.

For a pure gen rush, Thunderbolts may do better.
But for attrition or defence, give me Stalkers anytime.

I've also seen good BLRs, Sandersson's is a monster, doing 800+ damage and 4+ kills sometimes.

Edited by Leeroy Mechkins, 29 March 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#30 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:01 AM

View PostPerfectDuck, on 29 March 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

XL400 and 22 heat sinks. I've gotten over 2000 dmg before first death when playing the NS-style sniper dominance wave on Boreal.

Good CHRIST. XL400?!?! NICE! I'd try it, but I just spend all my space-bucks optimizing a super speedy quickdraw build.

I never thought of that. That's goddang gnarly. I don't think that the alpha is very low; I carry the 4LL and 2LRM5 and one alpha sends folks running. I've gotten good at analyzing common player patterns for each map, so I can usually get many alphas on unaware or occupied targets. 4LL to a single component is some pretty sick damage.

#31 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:48 AM

Do not use LRMs

#32 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

View Postsycocys, on 26 March 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

The problem ecm stack has very little to do with lrms. It's a completely uncounterable information denial system when its stacked.

I dont think 'completely uncounterable' means what you seem to believe it means

#33 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

dump the LRMs and replace them with heat sinks. as you learn to play without them your damage will go down but this is good. like rebreaking a bone to set it correctly, it hurts at first. eventually you'll consider 600 damage to be an average match.

unless you're talking CW in which case you will make fun of people who do 600 damage a match

#34 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:21 AM

Against a comp team LRMs are useless however against random puggers they are brilliant. CW pugging I run a BLR 1S with 3xLLas, 2xLRM15+A, TAG, BAP and 10t of LRM ammo. Strategy is simple, stay back and shoot LRMs and the occasional LLas alpha, when ammo runs out go in and use those LLas to good effect. I've had games where I've done 1000+ damage and 10 kills with that combo in the first wave.

#35 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

against pugs everything's brilliant. that shouldn't be the bar you set for yourself in CW.

#36 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 30 March 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

I dont think 'completely uncounterable' means what you seem to believe it means

Assuming of course that you play against teams that are well organized it is, if not you wouldn't really see how it works in the field and why the stack function breaks the counters.

UAV is the only current counter that 100% works, and has an uptime of less than 5 seconds against any team worth their weight. So it's basically a counter to see which way their blob was facing 5 seconds ago.

Balancing the game from the bottom tier to the top keeps broken things in such as the ecm stack, as well as leaves low elo players a huge wide zone to never improve from. Not saying you by any means, just in general having broken things like this in the game, especially over time, just leaves this void in the game that many players simply never get out of and leads to things like filling pugs teams in CW that get rolled with 0 kills every match. Get frustrated because they can't muster up even a kill and never come back.

When you start trying to focus on the "end game" content you need to eliminate broken things or it just infects the new thing you are trying to do to make the game better and deeper for the more invested players. Same deal with the quirks, the players can set their own meta builds - just fix the broken parts of the game so you can actually balance it out at the core and let your gamers decide how they want to build their mechs out.

#37 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 30 March 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

against pugs everything's brilliant. that shouldn't be the bar you set for yourself in CW.

What is the problem if I make a significant contribution to the team using LRMs? I don't get this hatred towards LRMs. If used properly they are very effective and using them properly isn't easy mode.

#38 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:34 PM

Hatred is an inappropriate word because it implies we scorn LRMs for being some kind of repugnant, distasteful taboo. They just encourage really poor skills practice because you don't need to know where the good direct-fire and cover positions are, you don't need to know where the safe routes are, and you don't need to focus on practicing your accuracy or ability to hold lasers on specific components. You don't need to learn hitbox locations or practice torso twisting because you just focus on keeping your reticle over the square on your screen. Honestly clan streaks have the same problem, except they're viable. LRMs, on top of teaching you to play poorly, are also very easy to avoid and spread their damage evenly over enemy components, which is very inefficient.

#39 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

A lot of it yes is skill having a team that actually works well together. However IS has way more mechs to choose from and a lot more solid mechs than clans have. Yes we have 3 very good mechs but they are rather papery and only the assaults can really put on solid dakka power but they are so slow and fat they die very easily. Thats why we need those mechs for wave 3 but by the time they are playable I dont think this cw is gonna matter too anyone much.

#40 Timberwolf5

Rookie

• The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:06 AM

View Postsycocys, on 25 March 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

Sorry man, you are just plain wrong in your calculations when most of the IS heavies in the 65 ton range are the equivalent or better than 100 ton assaults. Far better dps per ton, far more mobility and speed.

And none of the Clan mechs are even close to that if you and your team push on them, if you let them stay cool of course they are going to blast you to pieces.

I do understand your frustration, but you are looking in the wrong places to find the source of the problem.

The Atlas brigadeers disagrees with you.

I back the all assault wave attacks on Clans. Yesterday night I and a group of FRR mercs dropped with about 8 atlas's and won about 9/10 of our matches. Timberwolves and stormcrows had nothing on us. This was with a group of first-timers playing together.

Good luck mech warriors.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users