146 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

View PostCathy, on 26 March 2015 - 06:32 AM, said:

so you really think sony would allow mech that look like the macros games mech but renamed, lets talk MWLL and the way that ended

Maybe not if there was a competing online game. I dont see anything trying to compete with Mechwarrior for online mech games being successfull any time soon or even later.

Also I dont know about that other game.

Edited by Johnny Z, 26 March 2015 - 06:36 AM.

#42 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:52 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 26 March 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

This is huge. If they were willing to sell movie rights, perhaps there is hope yet for the unseen.

HG only sold the movie rights. This has nothing to do with gaming, but at least they finally budged.

Yeah. But Sony and movie rights? "Kaching!". Btech and gaming rights? Chump change. Also, I get the feeling they did it purely for open up rights to make a live action Macross Movie that could be distributed worldwide, more than Robotech, which is a largely American Phenomena. But Macross is worldwide adored, and it would be a bad financial undertaking to make a big budget movie and not be able to sell it in the USA.

So I don't see it actually having any IRL impact on the Unseen scenario, unfortunately, barring more info coming forth.

View PostCathy, on 26 March 2015 - 06:32 AM, said:

so you really think sony would allow mech that look like the macros games mech but renamed, lets talk MWLL and the way that ended

Actually a moot point, since they don't have the "Rights" to Robotech in toto, but just the Movie Rights. As for the other point though, if Sony did get full rights (which would be marketing gold, I believe, with toys and tie ins), I doubt we could see "full" true unseen, but I believe it would be a lot less treacherous a minefield to "resee" them than with HG and their Litigation Radar always on Seek and Destroy.

But again, atm, with the current info on hand, irellevant.

#43 JohnnyWayne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

Hell at this point I'd even take reseen versions or .. Alex modified good looking ones :D

#44 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:24 AM

A clean-shaven Robert Downie Jr as Fokker. I don't know why that image popped in my head. Will never happen but I found that amusing.

#45 StUffz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 26 March 2015 - 06:18 AM, said:

I imagine that Maguire might (see below) make a passable Rick Hunter, while Charlie Hunnam would make a better Roy Focker.

Though... would Minmay Lynn (who is supposed to be of mixed Chinese & Japanese heritage in Macross/Robotech) be played by an Asian or Asian-American actress, or would the character be white-washed (see: the recent hoopla over the casting of Scarlett Johansson as Mokoto Kusanagi in the live-action GitS film)? :huh:

Then again, Hikaru Ichijyo (that is, Rick Hunter; see above) was also supposed to be ethnically Japanese... :rolleyes:
(Roy, on the other hand, was an American in both Macross and Robotech.)

There is only one guy who could really play Roy Fokker: Charlie Sheen

#46 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:31 AM

I would much rather see a big budget cable tv series where BT story lines could be properly developed. Pretty much all Hollywood spacey robot movies suck ie: Transformers, Pacific Rimj*b.

Edited by Ryokens leap, 26 March 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#47 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:33 AM

SORRY team but. but Sony Online Entertainment was sold to an investment firm. I got official notice of this while playing Planetside2 - Not gonna happen with anything gamewise. Movie maybe, but in what, 2-5 years ?

http://variety.com/2...ova-1201421468/

#48 StUffz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 485 posts

One thing... Robotech =/= Battletech, although FASA used some designs from the Original Macross/Robotech franchise.

#49 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

View PostRyokens leap, on 26 March 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

I would much rather see a big budget cable tv series where BT story lines could be properly developed. Pretty much all Hollywood spacey robot movies suck ie: Transformers, Pacific ******.

Hey, I liked PR for what it was..... But you are absolutely right, a space opera series would be best because of the necessary drama needed to properly portray the scope of the genre. If they turn it into an action flick, they will lose the whole point *cough newtrek cough*.....

#50 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 26 March 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

So first came Pacific Rim. Then Syfy decided to give us Atlantic Rim.

I do not think there is a movie or concept that Syfy will not steal, copy, borrow or mutilate.

So perhaps we can MWO: The Movie brought to you by the makers of Sharknado

I am sure someone with more skills and humor than I can fill in the cast and plot :)

Mech-nado

Sounds AWESOME!!

#51 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

Someone get Disney to scarf up the movie rights to BattleTech. Make another extended cinema movie universe out of the property.

#52 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 26 March 2015 - 06:18 AM, said:

I imagine that Maguire might (see below) make a passable Rick Hunter, while Charlie Hunnam would make a better Roy Focker.

Though... would Minmay Lynn (who is supposed to be of mixed Chinese & Japanese heritage in Macross/Robotech) be played by an Asian or Asian-American actress, or would the character be white-washed (see: the recent hoopla over the casting of Scarlett Johansson as Mokoto Kusanagi in the live-action GitS film)? :huh:

Then again, Hikaru Ichijyo (that is, Rick Hunter; see above) was also supposed to be ethnically Japanese... :rolleyes:
(Roy, on the other hand, was an American in both Macross and Robotech.)

I'd probably cast Kengo Kora or Takeru Sato as Hikaru.

Posted Image
Maggie Q as Misa,
Posted Image
Minmay maybe Bingbing Fan ( I know, a little old, but it removes the creepy weird Pedo-Cougar dynamic from Rick, Minmay and Lisa, ya know?)?
Posted Image
Edward James Olmos too typecast an Gloval? (yes I know I am mixing Macross and Robotech names, lol)
Posted Image
Max, Roy and Ben I gotta think about. Ditto Miriya.
(And the rest of the Zentraedi.... need someone truly imposing with mas gravitas to pull off Breetai. Kyron? A Brash pretty boy..... hmmmm)

For Claudia..that will be tough, I envision a tall, dignified woman, but almost more handsome than outright "beautiful". I'd lean toward Lupita Nyong'o if she were taller. Maybe Sasheer Zamata?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 26 March 2015 - 08:21 AM.

#53 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

I can see Olmos as Gloval.

#54 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:14 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 26 March 2015 - 04:52 AM, said:

Hope for unseen.

Posted Image

What has been seen, cannot be unseen. :)

View PostRhaythe, on 26 March 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

You're probably right. But knowing Hollywood's lust for book series to movie adaptations, I wouldn't be surprised if they just skipped straight to 3049 and cashed in on the clans.

The Jade Falcon trilogy is pretty good, wouldn't be a bad place to start, kind of like a pre-trilogy before they dove into the Clan Wars....

#55 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:15 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 26 March 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

Someone get Disney to scarf up the movie rights to BattleTech. Make another extended cinema movie universe out of the property.

god no, it would end up called "mechs" and be like "cars" or "planes". XD

mains star would be an yellow urbie and maint antagonist a green mad cat.

Edited by Lily from animove, 26 March 2015 - 08:15 AM.

#56 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 26 March 2015 - 04:30 AM, said:

Excuse me if this question is stupid but aren't the phoenix-mechs also unseen? How did we get those in the game?

HG holds the rights to Robotech mechs (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada) So that's the Rifleman, Warhammer, Marauder, Archer, the whole OST series of mechs, Wasp, Valkyre, and Phoenix Hawk of TRO 3025 fame.

The other mechs that are in the Phoenix pack of MWO are all the other anime designs that HG didn't own, but FASA pulled because HG was so litigious. Those designs were deemed safe to use as the rights holder no longer exists in Japan.

#57 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:20 AM

View PostStUffz, on 26 March 2015 - 05:49 AM, said:

Ok, I have read through the articles and from what I understand, Sony Pictures Entertainment (a US Division of Sony) only claimed the rights to produce the movie. That's all. The rights for "Macross" Franchise remains with Harmony Gold.

In other words, Harmony Gold is just milking the cow again.

I am somehow scared to imagine Tobey Maguire as Roy Fokker...

I can't see Tobey as Roy Fokker, Rick Hunter yes, Fokker no.

For Fokker, you need someone tall and lean... Jude Law, Orlando Bloom or maybe Liam Neeson... those would be my top three for Fokker.

#58 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 26 March 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

god no, it would end up called "mechs" and be like "cars" or "planes". XD

mains star would be an yellow urbie and maint antagonist a green mad cat.

Um... you know Disney is doing Marvel, yes? And the previews for the new Star Wars look like that's going a pretty serious direction too.

Don't rule out the Mouse because you think they're just cartoons, they're an A+ studio right now. With all Industrial Lights Magic behind them too. They're definitely the right fit for a Mechwarrior movie!

#59 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostApnu, on 26 March 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

HG holds the rights to Robotech mechs (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada) So that's the Rifleman, Warhammer, Marauder, Archer, the whole OST series of mechs, Wasp, Valkyre, and Phoenix Hawk of TRO 3025 fame.

The other mechs that are in the Phoenix pack of MWO are all the other anime designs that HG didn't own, but FASA pulled because HG was so litigious. Those designs were deemed safe to use as the rights holder no longer exists in Japan.

don't forget the Longbow and Crusader. (Everyone always forgets the Longbow)

#60 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostDulahan, on 26 March 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

Um... you know Disney is doing Marvel, yes? And the previews for the new Star Wars look like that's going a pretty serious direction too.

Don't rule out the Mouse because you think they're just cartoons, they're an A+ studio right now. With all Industrial Lights Magic behind them too. They're definitely the right fit for a Mechwarrior movie!

unfun person confimred :P

cmon, try it imagine those cuddly mechs in cars and planes style. xD good can't gett his out of my head

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 March 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

don't forget the Longbow and Crusader. (Everyone always forgets the Longbow)

there is a reason why everyone is dicplac... uhhm forgetting the longbow.

Edited by Lily from animove, 26 March 2015 - 08:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users