Pilot Skill Tree Mockup

62 replies to this topic

Poll: Alternative Mech Skill Tree (233 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you prefer this system or similar over what we have?

1. Yes (212 votes [90.99%])

Percentage of vote: 90.99%

2. No (12 votes [5.15%])

Percentage of vote: 5.15%

3. Maybe/Other - post below! (9 votes [3.86%])

Percentage of vote: 3.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:10 PM

Plus, have skills that are associated with the `Mech in general.

Example:

Raven RVN-3L Tech Tree could reflect on ECM, BAP, and other skills such as sensor range combined with Advanced Sensor Range module, etc.

Which would be nice to have. Also, as shown in the picture, skill % for Jump Jets, etc. Depending on the `Mech. However for most of us that have already Mastered all the `Mechs, like my Atlases are all Mastered and unlocked, I'd love to see the skills we've unlocked alongside the new skill set.

#42 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:50 AM

I don't like any idea to convert this game to any of milliions MMORPG using skill tree. I'm glad to use only 2-4 mouse buttons to fire (after 12+ buttons of WoW it is celebration).

#43 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:42 AM

not sure you understand what skill trees mean in this context.

Not additional buttons to press but options in the mech skill unlock bit.

#44 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:19 AM

This is a great mockup. Totally agree. Great stuff OP.

We need a pilot skill tree, which you can use to differentiate the 3 mech variants of each chassis. This way you could make a brawler Crow, a scout crow and a support crow for example. All different to each other.

Skills should be either-or.
So you don't HAVE to choose the Arm movement perks for a Banshee, which has no hardpoints in arms.
Or don't need to choose heat dissipation perks on a Enforcer with 1.89/2 heat management.

Seriously, there could be done SO MUCH MORE with the skill trees than what we have now.

This is a huge factor in balance.

The speed tweak and the cooldown tweaks are braking the balance of this game a lot, even if most of you don't want to realize this. And lets admit, most dont WANT to realize it, because it would mean a nerf to their mechs, once it would be touched/altered.

Edited by TexAce, 10 September 2015 - 06:21 AM.

#45 Girth Fillmore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 174 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

I've toyed about the idea of having mech or pilot specialty classes, or fighting styles that would have the appropriate skills and bonuses associated with them eg. Scout/Recon, Brawler, Skirmisher, Support, Sniper, Suppression, Vanguard, Intel, etc.

You could level up in each "class" to have an all-around skillset, but you would get more out of specializing.

This tree mockup is great, and I really hope we get something like it before the end of the year.

#46 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

I would prefer to just see the skill tree nuked and completely removed from the game.

#47 MightyMeatShield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 166 posts
  • LocationWest Coast!

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:43 PM

PGI can also monetize respecs

#48 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:37 AM

My god, its full of stars

#49 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:59 PM

Yes very nice skill tree. But honestly.

That Pilot detail box.
OMFG.

Names, Faction, Rank, Profile pic,

BROWSE HIRING UNITS

in-freaking-game.

yessssssssss

#50 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:00 AM

View PostDingo Red, on 26 March 2015 - 06:40 AM, said:

- It leads to balancing problems as the same tree is used for each 'Mech. Because of this, certain 'Mechs get far more benefit than others while certain 'Mechs become far too effective in some areas than others. For example, Speed Tweak allows a Timber Wolf or Stormcrow to reach speeds that completely outclass other mediums and heavies.

So the solution is to make it more interesting, give it more depth and tailor it somewhat for each 'Mech while keeping the purpose of adding incentive to buy multiple 'Mechs and grind them. This idea isn't really unique and it's been discussed a lot, and I'm sure there's probably better ways to implement it, but this is just my imagining.

- The three 'tiers' are kept (albeit renamed) but are divided into 'Piloting' and 'Gunnery'. In effect this is simply for easier categorization and understanding, but it also links with BattleTech's pilot rules for those of us that want to see a bit more BattleTech in MW:O.

You could also copy the Skill system of STAR WOLVES and implement convert it to MW:O

1. Mech Skills to better a Mech in one direction and worsen it in another

2. Pilot Skill as for direct fighting vs indirect vs Scouting with focus on weapons.

Not much to do if they implement that...

Edited by Seelenlos, 25 September 2015 - 03:01 AM.

#51 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:07 PM

View PostSeelenlos, on 25 September 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

You could also copy the Skill system of STAR WOLVES and implement convert it to MW:O

1. Mech Skills to better a Mech in one direction and worsen it in another

2. Pilot Skill as for direct fighting vs indirect vs Scouting with focus on weapons.

Not much to do if they implement that...

I don't remember Star Wolves having a skill tree for the planes. Just for the pilots.

#52 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:06 AM

This idea could be supported only by ones, who like to empower elves to 80th level.
This game provides equal capabilities of each mech and equal fun. Because we'll take a sort of "world of tanks" where people starts to hate the game because of this system.

#53 Lord Auriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:16 AM

PGI could you pls hire the OP?

the current skill system is not really a skill system but a way to "un-gimp" the mech until it is finally competitive. It's not offering choices of hat you prefer to have, it's just an additional repetitive grind and it's completely useless.

#54 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

View PostDamocles, on 15 September 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Yes very nice skill tree. But honestly.

That Pilot detail box.
OMFG.

Names, Faction, Rank, Profile pic,

BROWSE HIRING UNITS

in-freaking-game.

yessssssssss

THISSSSSSS
We really, really, really need this in game!

#55 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:00 AM

While its a step in the right direction, this skill tree does have some problems with compulsory choices. For example, who in their right mind wouldnt take cool-run or extra speed? The whole point of a skill tree should be to give players choices, but having mandatory skills doesnt really allow players to choose.

I guess what im trying to say is this. If you take coolrun it should require giving up something equally good. If you take speed tweak it should require giving up something equally good. This skill tree doesnt force that. if all you have is the illusion of choice thats no better than the skill progression tree we currently have.

a properly designed skill tree should force tough meaningful choices on the players. picking one skill should require sacrificing something else thats equally good. otherwise you'll just end up with prefabricated cookie cutter skill builds where everyone takes the same exact skills.

Edited by Khobai, 09 October 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#56 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

View PostKhobai, on 09 October 2015 - 11:00 AM, said:

While its a step in the right direction, this skill tree does have some problems with compulsory choices. For example, who in their right mind wouldnt take cool-run or extra speed? The whole point of a skill tree should be to give players choices, but having mandatory skills doesnt really allow players to choose.

I guess what im trying to say is this. If you take coolrun it should require giving up something equally good. If you take speed tweak it should require giving up something equally good. This skill tree doesnt force that. if all you have is the illusion of choice thats no better than the skill progression tree we currently have.

a properly designed skill tree should force tough meaningful choices on the players. picking one skill should require sacrificing something else thats equally good. otherwise you'll just end up with prefabricated cookie cutter skill builds where everyone takes the same exact skills.

Aye, as I believe I stated in the OP none of the skills I put in there were actually thought out or anything. A designer would be required to actually develop a skill tree that had equal options that were in fact options... I was just demonstrating what it might look like. :P

#57 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

I agree. This is how I want the skill tree to look and feel.

In fact, I'd like the game make it appear as if each Mech I buy has a different pilot, each one a member of the unit under my command. Such an arrangement would go a long way towards making this feel like a mercenary company immersed in the BattleTech universe, rather than a Mech simulation game with no connection to historic BattleTech events.

#58 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:20 AM

View PostDingo Red, on 09 October 2015 - 08:15 PM, said:

Aye, as I believe I stated in the OP none of the skills I put in there were actually thought out or anything. A designer would be required to actually develop a skill tree that had equal options that were in fact options... I was just demonstrating what it might look like. Posted Image

well we allready are forced to play with those stats - called quirks Posted Image

#59 Brawler1986

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:24 AM

This is exactly what I had in mind. Nailed it! I always liked to make choices in trees and such. League of Legends Masteries are a good example.

#60 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:28 AM

This is still my favorite idea for a pilot tree revision.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users