Software Question, Win7

15 replies to this topic

#1 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

i just bought a copy of win7 64 2 months ago and installed on a newly built PC. now can i build another PC and install my win7 on it that i just bought? or do i need to buy a whole new copy for another PC?

i heard you can use it 3 times or something?

Thx

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:01 AM

Activation does attempt to tie the key to the hardware by generating a serial code or something of that nature, and the "3 time" rule was meant as a way to replace/upgrade major parts (mobo, cpu) without having to buy another license. At least, that's how I understood it. When you change RAM or GPU, it doesn't require reactivation. The minute you put a new CPU in, it wants to again (at least in my experience).

Who wants to reinstall every 30 days or deal with a pirated copy that may or may not stay activated based on what new Windows updates get pushed out? I've played that game, it wasn't worth it.

#3 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:36 AM

View PostSummon3r, on 26 March 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

i just bought a copy of win7 64 2 months ago and installed on a newly built PC. now can i build another PC and install my win7 on it that i just bought? or do i need to buy a whole new copy for another PC?

i heard you can use it 3 times or something?

Thx

It depends on the region you are living in and the product version you have bought.

Microsoft likes to claim that their software is bundled to the hardware, once you activated it. On the north amercian market this is the case for OEM versions of their OS. It is not the case for the retail version. You can install it on as many computers as you wish, as long as it never activated it on more then one at the same time.

In the EU and some other parts of the world this goes for OEM versions as well. Independent if they are freely available or if it came pre-installed on a computer. In those regions you can freely move your licence from one computer to another.

I do not know where which rule ecactly applies. If in doubt, you could contact a local computer magazin and ask them about the situation in your region of the world.

If you have trouble activating your key for some reason, you can usually make a call to the MS activation hotline. If asked by the automic system on how many systems your OS is running the correct answer is "only 1". If even that fails, you can chose to be redirected to a human to help you along further.

#4 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

Ok so I'm in Canada and its win 7 64 home premium. So i guess bottom line I'm wondering if i build a second system can both run without issue and be activated on both systems. Obviously it is activated on my current pc i just dont want to spend another 100 bucks for a low budget secondary pc

#5 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:14 AM

You can not have one license running on two seperate PCs at the same time. You'll need a second license for that.

#6 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

Thx ego. Is it possible to get a second license without buying it all over again

#7 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:08 AM

Unless you are a volume license customer, like a big company for example, I'm afraid not. As an end user you will have to buy a second license all over again.

From what I can gather on my end, the MS terms are as strict and valid in Canada as they are in the US, so you have no way around it. I might be wrong, so you should consult someone in Canada who knows more about the ToU and EULA agreements of MS in your country.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

Could install Windows 10 preview, that would keep the low end one running for several months until 10 goes live.

#9 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:47 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 27 March 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

This is 100% false....

If you say so...
http://windows.micro...ivacy-statement

[...]
What data is collected?

• A unique number assigned to your computer by the tools (Globally Unique Identifier or GUID)

• Product Key (hashed) and Product ID
[...]

For machines running Windows 7, data is collected after the Update to Windows Activation Technologies for Windows 7 has been installed. In addition, data is collected and sent to Microsoft every 90 days even if no activation exploit is detected. However, if the Update to Windows Activation Technologies for Windows 7 finds that essential Windows files have been tampered with, then data collected from that machine will be sent every 7 days until Windows becomes genuine.[...]

So are you spreading false informations or is it Microsoft?

Edited by Egomane, 28 March 2015 - 03:52 AM.

#10 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:15 AM

Good info guys, I still have a bunch of win7 keys, but no clue which key is which system :) guess I shouldn't worry too much about using a key on 2 systems.

#11 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 28 March 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

Good info guys, I still have a bunch of win7 keys, but no clue which key is which system :) guess I shouldn't worry too much about using a key on 2 systems.

Do it at your own risk. Don't come running if your key gets blocked. I'm long enough in this business to have seen it happen several times.

Advice for license fraud is not a good advise.

#12 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:40 AM

Ah well, worst case I'll have to install linux on one of the systems.

#13 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

Nope! Worst case you will have to install Linux on both systems. If the key gets blocked, both your systems will be out.

View PostFlapdrol, on 28 March 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

I still have a bunch of win7 keys, but no clue which key is which system :)

Missed this...
There are tools out there that can read your activation key.
http://answers.micro...c8-c2eb70e950a9

Edited by Egomane, 28 March 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#14 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:15 AM

View PostEgomane, on 28 March 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

Nope! Worst case you will have to install Linux on both systems. If the key gets blocked, both your systems will be out.

Missed this...
There are tools out there that can read your activation key.
http://answers.micro...c8-c2eb70e950a9

I have keys for all systems, if one key gets nuked I'll still have the other one. With the tool it won't be an issue though, if I can still read the key from a stubborn harddrive with 4000 bad sectors that is.

#15 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

Well for me Im glade I can reinstall win 7 I made some bad choices for my new build I did this month Im changing the motherboard and cpu but im just using one computer not two .

#16 Marvyn Dodgers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:39 PM

This is really a topic better suited to contacting Micro Soft about directly, rather than discussing on a third party's forums, closing thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users