All Strikes Banned

4 replies to this topic

#1 SteelTantrum

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:19 AM

I am sick of game outcomes being decided by the team who get the most strikes off. Again and again outcomes seem to be decided by these skill-less, damage spamming modules. What is the point in spending hours tinkering with builds, mastering chassis and honing our piloting skill when someone takes of your side with a strike. They are meant to be area denial NOT extra ways to win a game when you can't hit a cows backside with a banjo. I just watched a game where all the good shooting, tactical play and hard fighting was undone by a couple of strikes. For pity's sake let us play without these ridicules modules or at least extend the cool down so they are less frequently used. They spoil the game for a lot of us. :(

#2 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

I really have no idea why this gets riffed on so much... I almost never get caught in strikes. And when I do, I catch a shell or two tops.

I've been playing a lot of CW lately... And, yeah, there are lots of strikes going around, but I really don't think they are THAT effective of a weapon that they are breaking the game... Nowhere close.

And, they are not skilless. There's a big delay, you have to plan ahead for the enemies movements... Even if I granted that they had a low skill entry... It's a strategic weapon, more than anything. That they can help offset a lack of skill, or quality builds is GOOD!

Do you find UAVs overpowered, because they give away someone's skillfully plotted sneak attack? I was in a match where a single well placed UAV turned the match right around. Flipping a defeat, into a crushing victory.

I've never once used a strike myself, and I've never once had a problem with them in game. (Okay, maybe I used some profanity when I got headshotted by one once...) But, I think they do a lot of good for the game. And are currently perfect, without need of further tinkering.

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 27 March 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#3 seija

• Pip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

Ban, no.
Enforce more TTish rules by having TAG a part of dropping strikes, I would be in favor of that.

#4 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

View Postseija, on 27 March 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

Ban, no.
Enforce more TTish rules by having TAG a part of dropping strikes, I would be in favor of that.

That seems reasonable, if there really must be a change.

#5 destroika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:44 PM

It helped a lot when they introduced the cool down between players using them on the same team. You'd run from one strike and go right into the middle of 3 others around the corner going off at once. It was instant death. Figures the devs didn't realize that would happen when they first implemented them - seems they don't think ANYTHING through, just implementing by the seat of their pants...

I was also against the strikes and would not use them for a while there, but now I am severely guilty. In the words of Bugs Bunny, "If you can't beat 'um, join 'um." They can be a bit quirky to use, especially if you get a bit of screen shake right as you go to use one and it's set 2 miles out of bounds or somewhere on the moon, or you catch one of those invisible walls right there in your face and didn't realize it because it plants on the ground right at your own feet... But between the other imbalances out there such as enmasse LRMs, or just the general disorganization of teamwork, it can be a nice ace-in-the-pocket to potentially turn a situation around.

Overall, I wouldn't miss them if they were removed, but while they're here and common place, I'll use them.

Edited by destroika, 27 March 2015 - 02:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users