Cw Battlemech Recommendations

CW Battlemech

12 replies to this topic

#1 Gryphon187

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

Hi Everyone!

I just started playing CW matches. And I am getting my butt kicked all over the map.

I am looking for loadout recommendations for a decent, well-rounded, Heavy or Assault Battlemech. Probably ECM capable or at least able to see cloaked Battlemechs (I am tired of them sneaking right up on top of me). Preferably able to get up to about 75-85 KPH in speed.

I just want to be able to dish out some damage, and be able to take damage and last for more than 2 miniutes in a match.

The Battlemech can be IS or Clan.

Thanks

#2 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:52 AM

I'll tell you some general mechs that are effective for IS. Granted, you'll not have ECM on these. IS tends to use lights for ECM, or the Atlas DC-7, which I dislike personally.

Thunderbolt 9S, Stalker 4N are good large laser boats. Large lasers are very, very effective weapons. You can also boat things out with medium pulse lasers, which I find very good as well. The stalker should have 6LL, not sure specifically about the thunderbolt.

I run a BLR-1s, which I think has been said to be the worst c-bill per ton mech in the game as my "flagship" mech. It performs very well with 4LL and 2LRM5 (forget ammo total), but this is not an ideal mech for a newer player, I think.

The banshees, one kitted with 3AC5 and some lasers, one boated with medium pulse or large lasers are very good as well, I feel.

You're gonna want to equip a BAP Beagle Active Probe or use UAVs to deal with ECM.

DONT FORGET HOW VALUABLE CONSUMABLES ARE IN CW!!!

There is a very good topic currently that you will find useful, containing far more information than I can give you now located here:

http://mwomercs.com/...ease-read-this/

#3 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:14 AM

If you haven't already, download Teamspeak and visit the FRR Hub server, they'll help you get situated.

frrhub.tk:9725
Password: "Dragon"

Since you're FRR, you'll be facing clans. Usually you don't need ECM, but given that a LOT of people who don't usually play CW will be on the map this weekend, bringing ECM might be a good idea. The Raven 3L is a good bet, as is the CDA-3M. If you're a decent Locust pilot, you could bring your Pirate's Bane if you have one. Atlas D-DC's are kinda hard to use because they're huge and slow.

In no particular order, these will all work beyond any reasonable doubt and I'd recommend having at least one of these chassis laying around if you're going to play CW at all:

Dragon 1N and/or Wolverine 6R with 2x AC/5
Thunderbolt 5SS with 7x MPL
Thunderbolt 5SS or 5S with 4x LL
Thunderbolt 9S with 2x ERPPC + MLs
Thunderbolt 9SE with 3x (or 4x) LPL
Stalker 4N with 6x LL or 4x ERLL
Firestarter S or A
Quickdraw 5K with 4x LL

#4 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:44 AM

These chassis are viable at least until the next nerf-wave/quirk-pass/PGI-tantrum happens, soo be ready to spend time and CBills to re-fit the mechs or get completely new ones when the next Meta-cycle slots home.

Maybe all you guys from the units go and tell Gryphon something else, too ... you don´t NEED to play Meta to have a chance against it ;)

@Gryphon :
-Stick to the mob
-Use your eyes (scan surroundings, zoom in , ...)
-Make use of mini-map and map, if time allows, to keep overview
-Setup your mech for YOUR playstyle and STICK to it (at least for as long as the match goes^^)(if your playstyle("aggressive", or "aggro+smart", or "sniper", or "info-scout/backstabber", or etc etc)fits somebody else´s mech-builds TRY THEM )
-Try out EVERYTHING
-Setup MW:O to be maximally stable and fluidly running (turn off unneeded/unwanted stuff) at high FPS (preferably 50 + )
-Check key-layout and redesignate to your maximum comfort

Now, go and blow up some robots ;)

#5 Arkatac

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

GMan's recommendations are always a good place to start: http://metamechs.com...munity-warfare/

HTH

#6 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:21 PM

My new anti-clan configuration consists of
- Misery Brawler/Sweeper (when used as 3rd or 4th drop, the LB can wreak some nasty havoc)
- Zeus Supporter (LRMs if you can get a decent lock, AC5s and the lasers to deal damage in direct fire. Can take a lot of punishment through twisting)
- Jester Sniper (can be run with ERPPCs but ran way too hot for me personally)
- Priate's Bane Harasser/ECM blanket (not every build has to deviate much from stock ;P)

And yes, I've also noticed how my entire drop deck consists of (currently) cash-only 'Mechs.

Misery could be replaced with a Banshee, Zeus for a TDR 9SE/5S or JM6 A/DD, Jester for a TDR 9S or CPLT K2 (both lack Jump Jets though) and PB could be swapped for a Commando 2D for similar tactics.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 28 March 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#7 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:38 AM

Tarogato's list is a good one for popular mechs, so I'll try and touch on some under appreciated ones in your desired speed range:

Hunchbacks
Read up on their quirks. The 4J and 4SP especially can dish out some punishment. The 4G can be played to good effect in random matches, but the limited ammo and range are too much to be reliable in CW.

Griffons
Just all around solid mechs to run as STD engine knife fighters. They get overlooked because they don't have good quirks, but the combination of JJ, good hitboxes and blocking arms, and hardpoint placement keep it useful.

Centurions
Largely fallen out of favor, but if even Griffons aren't durable enough for you the giant shield arms and all torso weapons of the CN-9D and 9A may be for you.

Until you get really confident in your CW play style though the number one thing I'd recommend is never take an XL IS mech to CW unless it's a light. Even with great pilots there are barely any builds worth using IS XL on. It's also worth taking note on the kinds of builds you see others using and learning what they're capable of and how to exploit them. For example most popular clan laser builds can kill anything by trading alphas, but will overheat just shy of killing you if you can pressure them without getting focus fired.

#8 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:14 AM

Metamechs.com

CW deck lists AND loadouts AND why/how to use them.

#9 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:19 AM

One recommendation for IS mechs in CW. Carry some BAP.

There are many people still using LRMs in CW. To make them way more effective all you need to do is equip two of your mechs with BAP. If everyone did that then at least 24 mechs will have BAP that can negate the ECM. Do you have to always have 6 mechs with BAP on the field, no. Just doing this will allow for at least 3 BAP mechs at any time. That can affect the Clan or IS ECM and Let one or two LRM boats rain bloody hell on the other team.

#10 Gryphon187

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

Thank you to everybody that replied to this post. I will take the advice given and create a good Battlemech base for CW gams. Also, thank you the leads o how to effectively play CW games. This will help me a lot! See you on the battlefield!
Gryphon187

#11 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

I round my deck out in the heavy space with Jager, and Thunderbolt. Both are good mechs, thurnderbolt can brawl better depending on variant and the jager I used a pinpoint sniper.

For assault I choose a battlemaster. Keep in mind that your drop deck is limited in tonnage. I would try to stick to anything below 90 tons. Otherwise your limiting your other mechs. Stalker is of course a great choice and if not for the fact that everyone believes it to be the best I would have chose it so instead of the battlemaster.

In terms of most effective these mechs are most common in CW:
Firestarter (35)/Raven (35)
Thunderbolt (65)
Stalker

Clan:
Timberwolf (75)
Stormcrow (55)

#12 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

Ill add some of my favs that also dont seem to be amazingly popular.

Cent-ah is a beast ac20 and srms make a really good heavy hitter to stymie rushes and pushes.

Kingcrab with 2x lpl or erppc(1 or 2) and 2 ac20 is also effective.

Spider ecm whatever loadout u like.

#13 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:10 PM

View PostHyper99, on 29 March 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

I round my deck out in the heavy space with Jager, and Thunderbolt. Both are good mechs, thurnderbolt can brawl better depending on variant and the jager I used a pinpoint sniper.

For assault I choose a battlemaster. Keep in mind that your drop deck is limited in tonnage. I would try to stick to anything below 90 tons. Otherwise your limiting your other mechs. Stalker is of course a great choice and if not for the fact that everyone believes it to be the best I would have chose it so instead of the battlemaster.

In terms of most effective these mechs are most common in CW:
Firestarter (35)/Raven (35)
Thunderbolt (65)
Stalker

Clan:
Timberwolf (75)
Stormcrow (55)

Nice. I have a BLR-1s pretty much for aesthetics, fond memories, and the fact that it isn't abysmal. Can't bring myself to use the death-star 4N....just seems too good for my taste. I've always had internet hipster syndrome....

even before hipsters were a thing

heh

Anyway, Wolvering 6K is good, but only until people see you wrecking them and start focusing that right arm.....that poor right arm.

Edited by Sandersson Jankins, 05 April 2015 - 11:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users