What Is This Suicide Push Tactics Seen Every Invasion Game?

22 replies to this topic

#21 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:31 PM

You are seeing the incarnation of a few skill problems.
  • A lack of trust with the people who are in your drop. Its hard to muster the courage to push through that gate when you have that voice in the back of your head saying "I'm going to be the only one through." This causes a gate-trickle affect and usually results in the first person going through being killed outright or faster mechs charging through and going for cover as fast as they can.
  • A diverse dropdeck of mechs. There is nothing more frustrating then having to wait for the Crab with the 200 standard engine going at 30 kph -- and nothing more likely to stretch your lines out. Clans really don't have the problem to the extent of IS since the same mechs can be of vastly different speed within IS
  • A lack of faith or ability to brawl. Lets face it, if you or your leader has any concern about your team-mates ability to win the game via a straight up fight you are going to look for a different way to win. (the dreaded I have 5 LRM 5s and 2K ammo call out at drop)
  • Inability to shoot on the move. Many people have a disability in the scoot and shoot skill. Stopping to shoot may give you better aim but it causes the line to stretch out and, more often, makes you a much easier target.
There are probably more issues but these are the main ones that come in off the top of my pointy head.

Edited by nehebkau, 13 May 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#22 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

Yep, and it only takes one wave of unprepared pilots to kill the morale for the match. We all know what the stronger clan groups will do. When they smell that fear they go in for the kill.

Lol, that part about the 5LRM5! The King Crab thing too. I've been thinking of dropping an assault in the deck that is faster than my beloved Stalker, especially in drops where a majority rolls heavy on first drop. I've been noticing lately that after an initial successful push, the fight gets bogged down again if the clan team escapes the attack and gains range again. I'm thinking the best tactic is to stick to them like an attack dog on a mark.

Ugh, the other is slow responding people once a battle has begun. That moment when you get the team past the left gate on Boreal, but the last four guys through fall behind shooting at one or two mechs while the rest of the team gets stuck in the trench waiting.

#23 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, Massachusetts USA

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostTheReverseMedic, on 29 March 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

Ahh yes I remember playing with you for a drop and hearing of your opinion.
While I do respect your personal choice, your desire in that match to pretty much just trade long range blows with the Clans wasn't exactly helping us there. We had a large amount of brawler and shorter ranged mechs in our first drop in Borreal Vault so we tried to push the hills to negate the superiority of the Clans in the poke war.
Now while we did lose that match, it also was because we had our entire team split on what we wanted to do, half stayed back at the gates and traded with the Clans while the other half did the push.
I can understand that while pushing can lose many people, without taking out our objectives, kills are meaningless (as an Attacker) without taking out Omega. We could kill the entire other team and lose anyways without taking our objectives.
tl;dr Objectives > Kills
Keep up the good fight even if our decisions clash.

Well put. I don't care what modules matched with quirks you have, you WILL NOT win against the Clans in a poking war when at over 5-600 meters. They know this and they hate it when we do not poke.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users