62 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

People would use ridiculous builds like Stalkers with 6 large lasers. If we had the Thunderbolt back then, I guess people would have put 6-7 medium pulse lasers on it. Can you imagine? Or put 4-6 large pulse lasers on an assault mech!

Thank God we don't see crazy builds like that anymore. Finally things are working as intended.

#2 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

Or we can just accept the fact that boats are part of tat and lore and they happen and always will.

Also no

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

You mean back when we had builds like that without Weapon Enhancing Quirks?!

Ah... the best days of MWO.

Now lets start removing super weapon-enhancing quirks.

Maybe we'll have a decent game again. Maybe.

#4 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

That 6ppc stalker tho...

#5 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

Yup.
Don't care either way! :D

#6 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 29 March 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

People would use ridiculous builds like Stalkers with 6 large lasers. If we had the Thunderbolt back then, I guess people would have put 6-7 medium pulse lasers on it. Can you imagine? Or put 4-6 large pulse lasers on an assault mech!

Thank God we don't see crazy builds like that anymore. Finally things are working as intended.

LOL

I see what you did thar.

#7 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:40 PM

I'm just going to watch the thread with my popcorn and see how many miss the sarcasm.

#8 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:56 PM

You mean when they didn't have quirk or nerf a weapon every month? Back when people played what they want and had fun with it. Then no, not really. All I remember are the PPC and Gauss pop tarts.

No you see a lot more variety and not just one or two mechs with the same load out.

Edited by DjPush, 29 March 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#9 Felbombling

• 2,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

Imagine what would happen if they tailored the perks to the stock load out and still tried to balance the game. I honestly don't know what would be wrong about stipulating diminishing returns on some of these quirks. I can recognize a chassis, but seldom is the build anything like the stock one, which is fairly sad from a lore point of view. Beyond that, the quirk system has made the game an unholy mess when it comes to figuring out weapon speeds, range and duration from Mech to Mech.

I shudder to think what new players are going through trying to figure everything out at this point in time. I wonder what the new player retention numbers are like.

#10 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

View PostRoboPatton, on 29 March 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

That 6ppc stalker tho...

You can still punish them with damage for overheating just remove Ghost Heat. Also, take away the increase capacity for adding Heatsinks and just have them add dissipation.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

Give MPLs Ghost Heat and let us all suffer equally.

#12 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 March 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

You mean back when we had builds like that without Weapon Enhancing Quirks?!

Ah... the best days of MWO.

Now lets start removing super weapon-enhancing quirks.

Maybe we'll have a decent game again. Maybe.

I'm all for deleting weapon quirks and giving out ONLY defensive Armor/Structure Quirks to make up for hitboxes that are bad due to artwork.

And fix heat XD

#13 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

View PostDjPush, on 29 March 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

No you see a lot more variety and not just one or two mechs with the same load out.

Are you joking?

What do you see in CW?

- Thunderbolts, all MPL, LL, or LPL
- ECM lights w/ jumpjets
- IS mechs with max quirks with nothing *but* the quirked weapon
- Clan "metamech" copycat Timberwolves and Stormcrows, with the odd Vulture and Hellbringer thrown in.

There's anything BUT variety, unless you think the 5-8 IS mechs with "superquirks" count as variety.

I actually have pugs laugh at me for taking a Timberwolf that has 4ERML+3MG+2LRM15as, a Warhawk with 4ERLL&2SSRM6, a Nova with two ERPPC & 4xMGs, and a Kitfox with 3MPL+2MG - even though the majority of the time I'm the top 3 in score (however you measure it). *That* is a symptom of how little variety in the game there really is.

I'm all for removing weapon-buffing quirks and moving to 'iterative' quirks instead.

Edited by Telmasa, 29 March 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#14 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

Stock loadouts should be encouraged more.

Quirks bonuses should get cut in half if youre not running the stock weapons.

I'm all for deleting weapon quirks and giving out ONLY defensive Armor/Structure Quirks to make up for hitboxes that are bad due to artwork.

And fix heat XD

Cant do that because some mechs have bad hardpoints and bad hardpoint locations. So they need weapon quirks to make up for that.

I like my idea of quirk bonuses getting cut in half if the mech isnt using its stock weapons. That would make it pretty hard to abuse quirks on most mechs.

Quirks should reward running the mech as close to its canon loadout as possible. Quirks should not reward boating weapons and running meta builds.

Edited by Khobai, 29 March 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#15 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

View PostKhobai, on 29 March 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

Stock loadouts should be encouraged more.

Quirks bonuses should get cut in half if youre not running the stock weapons.

Cant do that because some mechs have bad hardpoints and bad hardpoint locations. So they need weapon quirks to make up for that.

I like my idea of quirk bonuses halving if the mech isnt using its stock weapons. That would make it pretty hard to abuse quirks on most mechs.

To be fair, giving the Spider (2 CT Energy HPs) some good defensive Quirks to make up for its lack of firepower, like doubling the armor it has would let it compete with the Firestarter, who would not have those armor buffs and therefore have more Firepower but be more fragile.
Basically choosing that Spider over a Firestarter would be a Durability vs Firepower thing.

#16 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

While I understand that some of the quirks might have values too high or just too stacked on a single item, or poorly chose the quirk type to use, or other various flaws, but that doesn't mean that quirks as a whole were a bad idea.

Even with the current flaws, there is far more build diversity in the puggie window-licking derp underhive than there has ever been, with most mechs able to inflict at least some level of damage. For example, Locusts were once completely useless and unusable garbage, but now they can sometimes actually pose somewhat of a threat.

Of course, the peaks of Mount Tryhard are just as narrow as they've always been (only a few optimal builds), but Mt. Tryhard certainly isn't any worse off today than it used to be (more or less about the same-ish).

Edited by FupDup, 29 March 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#17 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostFupDup, on 29 March 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

While I understand that some of the quirks might have values too high or just too stacked on a single item, or poorly chose the quirk type to use, or other various flaws, but that doesn't mean that quirks as a whole were a bad idea.

Even with the current flaws, there is far more build diversity in the puggie window-licking derp underhive than there has ever been, with most mechs able to inflict at least some level of damage. For example, Locusts were once completely useless and unusable garbage, but now they can sometimes actually pose somewhat of a threat.

Of course, the peaks of Mount Tryhard are just as narrow as they've always been (only a few optimal builds), but Mt. Tryhard certainly isn't any worse off today than it used to be (more or less about the same-ish).

I'm pretty sure the peaks of Mt. Tryhard were built on the backs of many Lolcusts, Mist Lynxes, and Awesomes.

RIP Flamers.

#18 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:04 PM

Posted Image

#19 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 March 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Burn this heathen at the stake. Leave my wub alone.

#20 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 March 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Pulse lasers just got a universal buff. Its a fact no one likes to talk about at all, that regular lasers and pulse lasers (at least for inner sphere) are balanced in terms of their usefulness.

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 29 March 2015 - 07:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users