172 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:31 AM

As the latest tournament draws to a close I wonder if a lot of the players who played CW only for the free mech will return to pug land.

If this is true I call upon you to keep playing CW!

If you got pug stomped and it left a bad taste FIND A TEAM! you can profess to be a merc, a house loyalist, a clanner it does not matter. WIth good voice coms and players willing to band together and learn you can have some ever better games!

What does matter is this past weekend we saw planets with 99+ defenders and attackers. We had games with 12 man teams vs 12 man teams. We had pug stomps. We had GAMES and not ghost drops.

Lets keep this ball rolling :)

#2 Red Legs Greaves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 348 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:45 AM

I agree and hope the numbers keep up. As a pug you don't have join a unit but atleast check out your factions TS hub you can meet some nice people and get some coordination in your pug drops. And the more you play the more you learn.

#3 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

Either find a team or go back to solo cue. CW cannot function as any sort of long term challenge with more than half the players being pugs. Teams are the whole point of it, so stop trolling yourself and others and make some friends.

#4 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

Even the matches lost were a lot of fun, great seeing new players take part in more of a team game!

#5 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:49 AM

I played CW intensly the last 1-2 weeks (even before the event).
But I'm slowly getting sick of the stupidity of people.

- Unable to perform BASIC tactical maneuvers like staying together DESPITE talking about it in drop prep chat.
- Fitting PPC, Ammo stuff, etc. and don't hit anything, get themselves exploded by heat on hotter maps and eject eventually for having no more ammo.
- run at the gates, waiting to be slaughtered DESPITE constant pleas not to, or they even run outside as defenders on their own.
- not to mention the VOIP chatter like massively moronic wannabe-hollywood-heroes ("WE CAN DO THIS PEOPLE!!!") or plain simple idiots.

I even have idiotic arguments on a regular basis like the following:
me: "Shouldn't be gather in the center and then relocate as needed"
other: "No. We need to scout" (says the DWF standing far off at the side gate. Riiiight... you of all players need to scout. Idiot.)

Of course people in normal 1-wave drops are just as stupid, but there the tactical requirements are not so high (almost non-existent compared to low in CW).

So I am strongly thinking about abandoning CW again for some time, maybe until 4vs4 is here where the teams are more manageable and not so idiotic.

Edited by Paigan, 30 March 2015 - 06:52 AM.

#6 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:14 AM

I can tell you that at least in the FRR the quality of pugs has been pretty solid, lot of people that wanted to learn CW alongside a lot of people that were willing to be patient and teach and it has been a working out pretty darn well.

Then again our players don't tend to berate the newbies either, so that probably makes a huge difference as well.

#7 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

For Steiner (or any other InnerSphere faction I play [yes I played them all]) - it is just depressing to just lose, lose, lose.

For the weekend event: 18 losses (1 against Merik on the planet of Skye [they did a surprise light rush while we were still on the river - but in the end was a close game] - the border planet; rest of losses against Clans), 3 wins (all against Clans on Grimm Porico map - and in all cases Clans had a DC on their team).

Once I had my 20 points - that was it for me.

#8 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts
  • LocationA Vindicator cockpit near you

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:51 AM

I hope the population levels stay this high... but to be realist i expect many to go back to solo queue.

This weekend has been great in the CW realm, fast and balanced matches most of the time.

#9 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:31 AM

I don't plan on returning to CW after this event. CW lacks any kind of variety compared with the death matches , with DMs you have a game like conquest that totally takes a different approach to how you play. On the other hand all of CW is a mets game. Thier is also no incentives except LP to play CW , get a name if your unit on s planet......what does that do for your unit ? Nothing!
Finally , certain units zerging planets makes it impossible to attack or defend at times, so all our hard work means nothing ....it's like studying for exam getting every question right and not getting a grade. This makes CW nothing more then a game of Risk (the boardgame in which the bigger army always usually wins) rather then a simulation of geopolitical space warfare. And the funny thing is the unbalance faction populations can easily be fixed if PGI limits number of groups attacking/defending or open more lanes to attack and defend

Edited by Czarr, 30 March 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#10 Red Legs Greaves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 348 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

View PostHARDKOR, on 30 March 2015 - 06:47 AM, said:

Either find a team or go back to solo cue. CW cannot function as any sort of long term challenge with more than half the players being pugs. Teams are the whole point of it, so stop trolling yourself and others and make some friends.

Although I wish everybody could get in a unit and coordinate, I'd rather be able to get a game in because there are pugs playing rather then sit in queue all night because no one is playing. A possibly bad game is better than no game at all.

#11 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

PGI seems to improve things, albeit slowly, and I think CW is off to a good start. Got my free mech, decided I'll keep that clanner trash and maybe eventually fight with them. I'm grinding working my way through a Marik contract now and don't see a reason to stop that. Publicate matches are still fun but seem to go too fast now in comparison. :lol:

Edited by Romeo Deluxe, 30 March 2015 - 08:40 AM.

#12 Huoshini

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTip of the spear!

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

I played 5 games yesterday. I enjoy playing...even though I.lost EVERY SINGLE GAME. I am a player that makes his own fun. I took "command" in all of the games to get people from running around like a disorganized mess and I actually enjoyed that. I gave a speech in the style of JFK on one, I roleplayed like a hardened drill seargent ordering people to sreer thier mechs into the stream of laser..."FOR VICTORY" in another but still did it with tactics in mind. I made sure.other folks knew what was going on when I noticed they drop in all trial mechs. I got enjoyment out of the roleplay aspect and team building.

Yes I solo dropped on every match. Yes I knew we would get stomped most/all of the games. But I took comfort in knowing that the.people I pugged with got a better understanding of CW after playing.

The winning and losing comes after everything personally. Try to enjoy the game first

#13 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

Truth. But also why CW is flawed.

#14 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

Yes the numbers are way up - and the system works much better when the numbers are up. After the contest is over, will the numbers again drop off? If they do, that says something. If the numbers stay up, but only for a couple of weeks, then that also says something.

We can use prizes as an inducement to get people to try out the game - that is a time honored and proven marketing strategy... but the true test as to the state of the game will be if the players stay on playing without the need for ongoing inducement.

Our unit switched over to Clan Wolf for a two week merc contract. We have been bouncing between factions every two weeks, for the low hanging mech bay fruit. A very Merc thing to do.

I dropped CW enough to get the first mech bay. Then did the 20 drops for the Stormcrow. Then, I saw the second mech bay within reach, and did another 10 or so drops to get that.

Will I drop CW today? Just because I want to play CW? Am I being motivated by prizes and not the pleasure of the game mode itself?

What was proven for certain, when the player numbers are up, the wait time in the queues goes way down. That is very good to see.

#15 madhermit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:04 AM

No. Being stomped by coordinated teams or making a mediocre game into a second job by having to join up with a bunch of people I will never get to know in the actual world JUST to make a gamemode playable are things I am not looking for when I want to have fun.

Nah. Either they find a way to fit PUGvPUG matching into CW or no CW for me. Seeing the changes they did to CW since I last played it, I liked the changes. Not nearly as many stomps as it used to be. But still the stomps are something that just make me leave the game. They are not fun.

#16 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostPaigan, on 30 March 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

- run at the gates, waiting to be slaughtered DESPITE constant pleas not to, or they even run outside as defenders on their own.

other: "No. We need to scout" (says the DWF standing far off at the side gate. Riiiight... you of all players need to scout. Idiot.)

It is funny that a Wolf complains about behaviour in CW. You know that going out of base as defender (be it defense or counter attack defense) is legit and good, if executed correctly. That way even premades can be surprised at times. Yet, this requires all available forces to go. Something especially Wolves seem to be unable of, as far as I have observed.

#17 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

Ignorant - this is a game. Get some perspective and stop trying to piss in other peoples cereal.

#18 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostPaigan, on 30 March 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

I played CW intensly the last 1-2 weeks (even before the event).

- Unable to perform BASIC tactical maneuvers like staying together DESPITE talking about it in drop prep chat.
- Fitting PPC, Ammo stuff, etc. and don't hit anything, get themselves exploded by heat on hotter maps and eject eventually for having no more ammo.
- not to mention the VOIP chatter like massively moronic wannabe-hollywood-heroes ("WE CAN DO THIS PEOPLE!!!") or plain simple idiots.

Of course people in normal 1-wave drops are just as stupid, but there the tactical requirements are not so high (almost non-existent compared to low in CW).

So I am strongly thinking about abandoning CW again for some time, maybe until 4vs4 is here where the teams are more manageable and not so idiotic.

like the guy in the direwolf complaining about the sniper adder for beign "lrm'd" by not brining ecm for him?

yeah that kind of stuff is *rolleyes*

#19 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:37 AM

CW just works better when there are a lot of people playing. The more pugs/small units on, the more you will fight pugs and small units. In my last 20 matches I have only faced one 12 man, and only had one large (7+) unit on my side. The rest have been pugs and small units vs the same. Lots of very fun matches.

#20 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 30 March 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

As the latest tournament draws to a close I wonder if a lot of the players who played CW only for the free mech will return to pug land.

If this is true I call upon you to keep playing CW!

If you got pug stomped and it left a bad taste FIND A TEAM! you can profess to be a merc, a house loyalist, a clanner it does not matter. WIth good voice coms and players willing to band together and learn you can have some ever better games!

What does matter is this past weekend we saw planets with 99+ defenders and attackers. We had games with 12 man teams vs 12 man teams. We had pug stomps. We had GAMES and not ghost drops.

Lets keep this ball rolling :)

It can't hold.

CW demands that you bring the best quirked mechs that you've fully mastered. And a lot of them, with a lot of modules, and then drop every arty and UAV you can.

That's expensive and time consuming.

So unless you always want to play the same 4 mechs, PGI's only solution is to send players back to the public queue for XP and c-bill grinding.

That alone keeps players from fully investing in CW.
Also the level of play in CW, after a team's been found for a match, is so intense people have to take breaks. And because of that intensity, that also greatly incentivizes players to bring the biggest, strongest, quirked cheese possible (at least for IS, Clans, lacking quirks are stuck with the Holy Trinity plus Loki). Meaning "mechs for fun" need not apply in CW.

Burnout happens pretty fast in CW.

Because of all that I wish PGI had incorporated public queue games into the umbrella of CW. The kinds of games the public queue offers (quick to find, quick to have) should involve the IS map some how. Yes we're getting 4v4, but that's going to be as intense and competitive as Invasion/Counter Attack. Not fun-fun, but intense-fun and casuals will continue to not apply.

Meanwhile casuals will grow bored of the stagnant public queue (because PGI is so focused on CW this year, its a side effect of that project) they will wander away and the community's numbers will suffer.

Public queue games should be incorporated into the IS map some how. We should be able to grind and level up mechs and earn LP w/out the intense and nerve wracking jolt that Invasion and Counter Attack modes are.

View PostDavers, on 30 March 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

CW just works better when there are a lot of people playing. The more pugs/small units on, the more you will fight pugs and small units. In my last 20 matches I have only faced one 12 man, and only had one large (7+) unit on my side. The rest have been pugs and small units vs the same. Lots of very fun matches.

You're lucky. Of all the CW matches I've played this weekend 2/3 of them have been against 12 man groups. Weather I'm in a PUG team or full 12 man.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users