Balance Metagame Weapons

69 replies to this topic

#1 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

Can we undo the IS large laser ghost heat increase. I thought i'd like it but it's all you see now. As much as i hate to admit it the ghost heat limit of 2 made gameplay much more enjoyable. The quirks on all the IS mechs geared towards shorter burn duration, shorter cooldown, and longer range IN COMBINATION with the larger ghost heat limit is just too much.

As much as i'm going to probably regret this.... How do you guys feel about the changes? Do you feel they are actually "good for the game" or are have you become drunk with power?

#2 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

why don't we just make is and clan ghostheat even and call it a day?

#3 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

It's nice but I found I rarely used more than 2 at a time anyways.

My Boar's Head has 6 LL though so it makes up for it :lol:

#4 ThrashInc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:47 PM

I think giving IS lasers range modules/quirks is a mistake. The ghost heat is less of an issue.

If Clans are supposed to have a range advantage, then the IS shouldn't be pushing their lasers to almost identical ranges on certain mechs while also running cooler, with a shorter duration, with a shorter cooldown.

#5 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:49 PM

Sure they can, as soon as they make it impossible for Clanners to fire off 61-66 or higher laser vomit Alphas with no ghost heat too.

#6 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

View PostThrashInc, on 30 March 2015 - 05:47 PM, said:

I think giving IS lasers range modules/quirks is a mistake. The ghost heat is less of an issue.

If Clans are supposed to have a range advantage, then the IS shouldn't be pushing their lasers to almost identical ranges on certain mechs while also running cooler, with a shorter duration, with a shorter cooldown.

With less damage, for more tonnage.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

Ghost Heat should be replaced, period.

View PostBurktross, on 30 March 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

why don't we just make is and clan ghostheat even and call it a day?

Make them both 3? No way. Triple CLPL Clan boats will become too much to contend against. Before you say anything, remember that CLPL has 13 damage, 1200 meter max range, and costs 1 less ton than that of IS.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 March 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#8 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 March 2015 - 05:51 PM, said:

Ghost Heat should be replaced, period.

Make them both 3? No way. Triple CLPL Clan boats will become too much to contend against. Before you say anything, remember that CLPL has 13 damage, 1200 meter max range, and costs 1 less ton than that of IS.

I suppose you're right.
#fixheatscale, anyone?

#9 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:56 PM

And Another Clan Player has Spoken about Reducing IS Weapons Efficiency .......again

#10 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:58 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 March 2015 - 05:51 PM, said:

You need to remember that the weapons aren't being balanced in a vacuum either though. Compare the Stalker to the Warhawk, which is what it would be going up against. The Stalker get 6 energy to the Warhawk's 4, the Stalker can change engine size, the Warhawk can't, the Stalker gets endo, the Warhawk gets the shaft, the Stalker gets the best hitboxes and mount points in the game, the Warhawk is a gorilla.

That said, I do agree that if cLPL ghost heat was eased, 3xLPL would be the new meta, guaranteed.

#11 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

View Postaniviron, on 30 March 2015 - 05:58 PM, said:

You need to remember that the weapons aren't being balanced in a vacuum either though. Compare the Stalker to the Warhawk, which is what it would be going up against. The Stalker get 6 energy to the Warhawk's 4, the Stalker can change engine size, the Warhawk can't, the Stalker gets endo, the Warhawk gets the shaft, the Stalker gets the best hitboxes and mount points in the game, the Warhawk is a gorilla.

That said, I do agree that if cLPL ghost heat was eased, 3xLPL would be the new meta, guaranteed.

Well, I kinda refuse to use the Warhawk in a balance discussion, considering I'm pretty sure I can murder them with a Gargoyle... so bad mech vs mediocre mech comparisons isn't really a plus.

Part of the problem is the Stalker is benefiting from poor scaling, whereas the Catapult... well, you know the rest of this story.

It's not necessarily the Stalker's fault that it is succeeding well through every meta. Guess who's responsible for that? ;)

Edited by Deathlike, 30 March 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#12 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

Unquirked large lasers are not a problem, so what you're actually complaining about is specific quirks on certain mechs. Say exactly which mechs you think have been overquirked and there's a chance it might actually be looked at. Moaning that IS mechs shouldn't be allowed to fire 3 LL at once just makes you sound silly in the current clan laservomit era.

#13 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:12 PM

Gotta agree with the points made here. It's nuclear reactor blue across the board for IS now. The problem is that some of the mechs get range quirks to equal the range of the Clans (or nearly), but that only leads to those mechs being preferred over all others. I think reducing the range quirks would be reasonable, but keep the ghost heat where it is. IS again stays better in the brawl. The only issue is that the Clan ERMed is so far superior if the range on IS Larges gets nerfed. Clan ERMed is essentially an unquirked IS LL. The IS Larges and ER Larges should fill gaps between the Clan ERMed and Clan ERLarge, in my opinion. Right now, they kind of do, but quirked IS ERLL are too close to their clan counterparts in range.

#14 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Nerf Stalker-4N quirks then.

Clanners got Timbergod in CW anyway. I care little about using that oversized PoS known as Warhawk.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 March 2015 - 06:13 PM.

#15 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

The IS Large Laser Posted Image heat increase is easier to justify if you look at the base stats of the weapon, especially when compared against most Clan energy. It has a rather poopy damage per ton compared to most energy, and the range it gains over the ML isn't quite proportional to how much weight you need for the gun.

It's kinda mediocre without quirks, actually.

Edited by FupDup, 30 March 2015 - 06:13 PM.

#16 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

View PostFupDup, on 30 March 2015 - 06:12 PM, said:

The IS Large Laser Posted Image heat increase is easier to justify if you look at the base stats of the weapon, especially when compared against most Clan energy. It has a rather poopy damage per ton compared to most energy, and the range it gains over the ML isn't quite proportional to how much weight you need for the gun.

It's kinda mediocre without quirks, actually.

IS LL is terrible without quirks compared to the IS ML. The quirks on IS LLs should be toned down, but the base stats of the IS LL improved slightly.

#17 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

It's not necessarily the Stalker's fault that it is succeeding well through every meta. Guess who's responsible for that? ;)

Imagine what would happen to the Stalker if the arms were flipped, with the energy mounts on the bottom instead of the top. That might bring the Stalker inline more with other assaults. Though that would neuter the IS even further so it should definitely wait until the fix the IS vs Clan issue. Honestly I hope it gets that treatment when it comes time for dynamic geometry, I just hope the IS vs Clan is better balanced by then.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 30 March 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#18 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 30 March 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

Imagine what would happen to the Stalker if the arms were flipped, with the energy mounts on the bottom instead of the top. That might bring the Stalker inline more with other assaults. Though that would neuter the IS even further so it should definitely wait until the fix the IS vs Clan issue. Honestly I hope it gets that treatment when it comes time for dynamic geometry, I just hope the IS vs Clan is better balanced by then.

We still have Jagers and BJs. Who doesn't like BJs? ;)

The loss of the arm actuator/articulation kinda justifies them for being so high mounted. I kinda think someone in BT/TT did something right for once when it came to lore.

Edited by Deathlike, 30 March 2015 - 06:20 PM.

#19 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 30 March 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

And Another Clan Player has Spoken about Reducing IS Weapons Efficiency .......again

I don't always use numbers as my measure of what feels well rounded and good for the game thats why i wanted to get other's opinions. Like i said earlier i originally thought the ghost heat change was going to be a good thing. But now that i've had time to use it and to face against it, and face entire teams with nothing but them it feels too overbearing. Especially with all the quirk bonuses. It's not just the stalker 4N in particular but the amount of damage it can output so quickly does feel like the scales have tipped a bit too far without anything to counter balance it.

#20 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

We still have Jagers and BJs. Who doesn't like BJs? ;)

The loss of the arm actuator/articulation kinda justifies them for being so high mounted. I kinda think someone in BT/TT did something right for once when it came to lore.

Yeah but neither of those has been the powerhouse that the Stalker has been since the mech was introduced.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 30 March 2015 - 06:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users