7 replies to this topic

#1 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

Hi All

I'd like a little advice regarding tri-monitor setups in general and directly relating to MWO.

What monitors are best regarding bezel width?

Are 24" monitors necessary or are people ok with 22"?

Does a tri-monitor setup work fine with a single GTX970 or will it require two or more?

If you do run a single GTX970, what frame rates do you get?

How best to angle them to get the most out of MWO?

And finally, when you play MWO do you simply get a wider forward view or do you get a side window view as though you're looking out of a real cockpit?

Any screen caps or photos of your setup would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

#2 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

Greetings,

Yes, with 3 monitors you do indeed get the 'extra' views of the side windows in your 'normal' cockpit view.

- with only a single monitor most Pilots will never see these views, (free-look required) it's a tactical advantage to see 'out of the corner of your view' that flanking 'Mech. And may save your Pilots life in quite a few times.

I run 3 x 21 inch ASUS monitors (VS247H-P) (LED with .21 pixel pitch) driven by 2 x 560Ti SLI cards.
Yes I know it's older tech, but it does the job for any and every game or program I run.
- The monitors you select, the bezel is not as important as the display type, plug ins types, pixel pitch, and quality reviews you research. (don't look at onboard speakers, waste of $ and mostly never used)

- That's still over 5 1/2 feet of view I'm looking at, even with the bezel overlap.
- Speaking of that Bezel, I pull my center monitor in front of the 2 side ones, and have there bezels overlapped. There are settings within Nvidia surround controls to align the view with overlapped bezels. Just open it and line up the road images for left and right and save that special profile resolution size, all done.
- I have about a 30 Deg. angle on the side monitors and still use their normal base's, my desk has a top 4 ft. shelf and 'just' fits all three. Still looking for a good quality, 3 mount rack stand for all, but most cost $100. Still waiting for these to drop.

For the normal screen resolution on the desktop, I run 5760 x 1080, which allows for the standard resolution of the single units combined. For MWO I run just a bit smaller as the game is not 'optimized' well enough for that full resolution.
- Game is configured to display at 3840 x 720. and that appears to work fine.

Here's a few 'very fuzzy' phone camera images;
1. MechLab (notice the back wall doesn't extend all the way to the left.)
Posted Image

2. Cockpit view. (side windows clearly seen, sorry too bright)
Posted Image

3. The actual monitor and bezel overlap I use.
Posted Image

So, yes 3 monitors is the way to go. Once your see and play in that style you'll never want to go back to only one.

Good luck,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 01 April 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#3 Uparmored Rickshaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

I run three 21"'s as well and enjoy it. I run 5760x1080 in game and on the desktop. In game I get 60 frames with max settings and will not go back to a single monitor.

#4 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

http://www.maximumpc...setups?page=0,1

Note the date …

#5 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

View Post9erRed, on 01 April 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

3. The actual monitor and bezel overlap I use.
Posted Image

9erRed

Argh... pull the damn plastic off mate...

On topic I too am looking at 3x 1080P displays on a 970 and am wondering what kind of frame rates I should be expecting.

#6 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:51 AM

View PostWar 4H, on 12 April 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

I run three 21"'s as well and enjoy it. I run 5760x1080 in game and on the desktop. In game I get 60 frames with max settings and will not go back to a single monitor.

What graphics card(s) are you using?

#7 Helaton

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationStar Captain, Star Wolves

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:48 AM

If you're looking for another performance reference:

On a Radeon xfx 6950 2gb to 6970 hack overclocked (oc to 980 mhz) with an i7 920 (oc to 4ghz) with resolution set to 5760x1080 eyefinity and everything else basically on low, my frame rates are between 30 and 60 fps until battle starts, then its momentary dips to 22 but usually stays somewhere around 35-40.

Ordered a 4690k and gtx 970, so will see how that does when it arrives in a few days.

#8 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:20 AM

View PostHelaton, on 16 April 2015 - 05:48 AM, said:

Ordered a 4690k and gtx 970, so will see how that does when it arrives in a few days.

Oh yes, I'd be very interested to know the results from that little upgrade, thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users