BattleMechs

125 replies to this topic

#61 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

View Postcdlord, on 31 March 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

You should have played them before the hitbox fix and quirks.....

I did, and i got good with it then. Now its actually my go to big mech. If i actually spent time learning how to properly aim with arms all yawed out, it would be silly good mech.

#62 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:49 PM

View Postzagibu, on 31 March 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:

Have you looked at it? It has the surface area of three medium mechs combined.

Plus it has very low engine size, meaning it's own agility is seriously slow as ****, since mech agility is tied to the engine. Whats it biggest engine? Like a 300 or something derpy? That is the stock engine of the Atlas, and the Atlas moves like a building. But the Atlas can mount an engine beyond a 300.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 31 March 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#63 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

View Postskorpionet, on 31 March 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

Hi,

I get an AWESOME but is really too fragile, note that I use a STD engine, every other mechs can kill you in 2-3 seconds.... why this [BAD WORD REDACTED]?

Best Regards

Awesome really isn't supposed to be brawling if that's what you are doing with it. It's a long range fire support mech.

#64 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

View PostQuxudica, on 31 March 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

Awesome really isn't supposed to be brawling if that's what you are doing with it. It's a long range fire support mech.

Which is near impossible to do since ERPPCs are so damn hot, so damn slow and so bad damage per shot.....

#65 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 31 March 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

Which is near impossible to do since ERPPCs are so damn hot, so damn slow and so bad damage per shot.....

MWO really doesn't have support in general. Firepower is the dominating force when building almost any mech. It's unfortunate. I wish support equipment and support focused mechs would be given greater importance so we can move away from having every single mech built specifically as a damage dealer.

#66 Duke Hector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 302 posts
  • LocationNistus

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

question? are you attempting to brawl with it? if that is the case then yes it stinks, its a long range mech use it as an energy sniper..

that is what its designed for because i have no problems with mine

#67 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 31 March 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

I remember how the Awesome was when it came out in closed beta.

First of all, the forums talked about how it would obsolete the Catapult for LRM support. Little did we see years later both are largely ignored (missile heavy Cat variants anyway).

Awesome were also used to charge and brawl. I remember Awesome with huge engines running in weapons blazing. They were relatively fast and at the time fairly well armored. Remember, your heavies were Dragons and Catapults at the time (no Cataphracts or Jagers yet). I used to hate seeing a quick awesome running in, I was like...CRAP!

How the years, lots of new mechs, and continual power creep destroyed that CB Awesome.

Memories...

you are remembering the days of glory..

the days...

of the single heatsink.

if only.

#68 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 March 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

*SMH*

so much wrong with this comment, so much wrong.

Stop staring. End of story. Better yet, unplug the joystick.

It's not the joystick. I have better control of the mech's movements with a joystick than you do with the mouse. I also have better accuracy now. I have seen you play and your mech does not pirouette out of damage, just the opposite really. I will grant that the mouse can move the reticule faster, but my current joystick is more accurate now than your mouse with positional tracking over a 16000x16000 grid. Technology marches on as they say.

It's not movement, it's that no one ever misses the Zeus and Awesome CT's due to their size. You can move laterally in a long distance circle-strafe with these mechs and still get cored unlike the Victor or even the slower Atlas which easily spread the damage across the mech by strafing.

The only way to spread damage on the Zeus and Awesome is hit and fade before anything shoots back. In any kind of a shoot-out the Zeus and Awesome probably lose if equally equipped. That's why this post got started like so many, many other 'AWS got problems' posts of the past.

#69 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

KDR above 1 on my Awesomes.

And I am a bad pilot.

Sorry, not feeling you playah.

#70 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

View Postskorpionet, on 31 March 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

Hi,

I get an AWESOME but is really too fragile, note that I use a STD engine, every other mechs can kill you in 2-3 seconds.... why this [BAD WORD REDACTED]?

Best Regards

Awesomes are awesome.

Play it to its quirks.

View PostLightfoot, on 31 March 2015 - 08:19 PM, said:

It's not the joystick. I have better control of the mech's movements with a joystick than you do with the mouse. I also have better accuracy now. I have seen you play and your mech does not pirouette out of damage, just the opposite really. I will grant that the mouse can move the reticule faster, but my current joystick is more accurate now than your mouse with positional tracking over a 16000x16000 grid. Technology marches on as they say.

It's not movement, it's that no one ever misses the Zeus and Awesome CT's due to their size. You can move laterally in a long distance circle-strafe with these mechs and still get cored unlike the Victor or even the slower Atlas which easily spread the damage across the mech by strafing.

The only way to spread damage on the Zeus and Awesome is hit and fade before anything shoots back. In any kind of a shoot-out the Zeus and Awesome probably lose if equally equipped. That's why this post got started like so many, many other 'AWS got problems' posts of the past.

Joysticks for aim is inferior to the mouse because of how the game is coded.

First vs zero order controls... google it

i use mouse + throttle + pedals which takes the best of all scenarios.

#71 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 31 March 2015 - 08:19 PM, said:

So explain why you are in like...the 1% of people that find themselves having this issue with the Zeus?

I suppose it's your enlightened Elo?

Or, is it that you don't twist near as well as you think you do? My money is on door #2

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 31 March 2015 - 09:28 PM.

#72 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

Take advantage of the large shields in your arms by using them to take the damage for you.

(It's a shame those arms didn't get armor quirks to really compel players to use them).

#73 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:53 PM

View PostKoniving, on 31 March 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

Take advantage of the large shields in your arms by using them to take the damage for you.

(It's a shame those arms didn't get armor quirks to really compel players to use them).

This too.

I don't have too many Assaults that can survive being double teamed by a Quad UAC Krab and a FS9, but this guy just carried me through.....again. With no frontal breaches (my back...well... that's a whole nother story, lol).

Twist and shout, sacrifice that RA when the time comes (I was almost out of LRMs anyhow) and keep punching in the mouth with quad MPL and AC10.

Hot, but tanky and durable.

#74 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:24 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 March 2015 - 09:27 PM, said:

So explain why you are in like...the 1% of people that find themselves having this issue with the Zeus?

I suppose it's your enlightened Elo?

Or, is it that you don't twist near as well as you think you do? My money is on door #2

Aiming axis speed relates directly to torso twist... joystick users have to set it to a lower level to even attempt getting playable aim.

When i used to joystick the user.cfg suggested default was 8 iirc... i had to "work" my way up to 16 to get comparable twist speed to a mouse... that and the bad habit of having to spam center mech key makes joysticks less competitive to a mouse while aiming...

Throttle + pedals though works great as i have variable speed axis dependent on "throw" which i use to make minute adjustments to aim... these axis are coded correctly for joystick play.

#75 Corrado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 817 posts
  • Locationfinale emilia, italy

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:40 PM

the awesome is simply obsolete. back in 2011 was really funny to charge and hug targets with 4 SRM6. now with whales doing 85-90 pinpoint alpha damage at 450 meters range, old mechs like the awesome arent suited to tank in the first line.
The stalkers on the other hand, due to the way better silhouette, can be better used to play the brawler role. Im having a lot of fun with the 5xSRM6 5xMLasers STK-5S brawling tool.

The awesome is sadly not suited for the first line assault role (unless in a really dynamic push). 4 stalkers have a chance head-on against 4 whales. 4 awesomes, not.

#76 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:32 AM

View PostCorrado, on 31 March 2015 - 11:40 PM, said:

the awesome is simply obsolete. back in 2011 was really funny to charge and hug targets with 4 SRM6. now with whales doing 85-90 pinpoint alpha damage at 450 meters range, old mechs like the awesome arent suited to tank in the first line.
The stalkers on the other hand, due to the way better silhouette, can be better used to play the brawler role. Im having a lot of fun with the 5xSRM6 5xMLasers STK-5S brawling tool.

The awesome is sadly not suited for the first line assault role (unless in a really dynamic push). 4 stalkers have a chance head-on against 4 whales. 4 awesomes, not.

Alomost like...

It was never intended to be a "first line" assault mech.

CRAZY!!!!

#77 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

What's funny about the Zeus and Awesome is that I had the same conversations on the forums back in 2012 about the original Awesome before any Quirks or hit-box re-vamp. Players were saying I was in the 1% of players who had this problem and all I had to do was torso-twist and the Awesome was great, but that was all not true. The Awesome CT was actually as big as the broadside of a barn and heavily nerfed with Heat by comparisons to other mechs. Makes no sense when you see how small the Atlas CT is at 100 tons or the Victor's. Perhaps most players don't know how to do a critical comparison of mech attributes and just say something like, "I do this so just go L2P." Ya think?

You certainly can win with either mech if you avoid all battles with more than one mech or you sneak in from the flank while they are shooting your teammates. The Zeus has slightly better hardpoints and placement of weapons, but has the large CT like the Awesome. That's why it got the extra CT armor, but to make that work you can't face more than one mech because if you face two with good pilots, they'll shoot the CT armor out on their first salvo. Now everyone can turn away from incoming fire to spread damage, but at some point you point your mech's torso at your opponent to fire and that is when everything hits the Zeus and Awesome CT's. They are just too big to miss. On other mech's like the Victor, they still may miss the CT because it is so small.

#78 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

I find the Awesome pretty agile for its 66KPH with a 300 STD

#79 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostcSand, on 01 April 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

I find the Awesome pretty agile for its 66KPH with a 300 STD

Sure is, it's how I've been running my AWS-8Q, even with out basics unlocked yet, she does pretty good at 60 KM/H

#80 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

View PostMadcap72, on 01 April 2015 - 01:32 AM, said:

Alomost like...

It was never intended to be a "first line" assault mech.

CRAZY!!!!

Except that it was supposed to be.....

To handle the tremendous heat load of its weaponry the Awesome carries twenty-eight heat sinks, although even these can be overwhelmed; most pilots only fire two of their PPCs per salvo to reduce the strain. With fifteens tons of armor plating the Awesome is one of the most heavily-armored assault 'Mechs, making it better protected than even the BattleMaster, including some of the thickest rear armor of any 'Mech. Although an enemy coming at it from the rear or left flank has a fighting chance, most soldiers agree that "the only defense against an Awesome is another Awesome."

Edited by Barantor, 01 April 2015 - 08:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users