Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

Nice :)

Is that someone imprisoned in a carbonite block? :huh:

#2 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:34 AM

Nice! So was that the empire's secret plan, to incase people in carbonite building blocks?

#3 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

Nice! I can't wait to see your Zeus.I would like to compare it with mine.

#4 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:12 AM

Ahh, I see.You stayed close to the original art.I tried to make it more modern.Also, nice alien you got there.You are clearly better artist than I am, but I am practising every day.Now, you said you take requests.Could you draw a Cataphract? I am working on CTF right now.It would be interesting to see how you do it.

#5 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

Modern if you can.BTW when did you start drawing?Looking at your art makes me think that you had atleast a few years of practise.

Edited by GonaDie, 01 April 2015 - 08:22 AM.

#6 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:37 AM

Great! Hope to see your Cata soon!

#7 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:12 PM

Greetings all,

Marack, looks like quite a bit of time and work to build that portfolio for BattleTech and Sifi.
- Might I suggest an alternative method.
- you'd be surprised at how cheap some of the WACOM drawing digital pads are these days.

- With the cost of your paper, clear sleeves, binders, media material (pencils,pens, markers, whatever) A single electronic sketch pad can replace.
- Ability to carry anywhere or saved on simple 'thumbdrives'.

They offer the exact same options and styles you would find with paper and pencil, but so much more.
- Scale, vanishing points, ease of duplicating objects, and normally bundled with free art software.
- Now, it does require a connection through a computer to use, and may not be as practical as 'just picking up a pencil and doodling'.

I picked up one for around $65 to $70, they can go to $100's for what we see 'Alex' at PGI using. Full 21 inch or larger dedicated to more professional use. The smaller ones starting at 10 inch's and going up in scale.
- They do come with the special stylist, 'wireless'. But man, can they make a sketch or drawing task so much easer and faster.
- No where near similar to trying to draw with mouse, it's a pen type device and just as useful.

Work in black and white for easy printing or even colouring later, and just dump it to that thumbdrive and off you go.

Just some ideas,
9erRed

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:27 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 April 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

Actually I do use one. I use the Bamboo pad with Corel Essentials 7. I do use the Bamboo quite frequently especially for stuff like pixel art and coloring my drawings in. But in truth I am more of a hands on person.

I use only 5 things regularly-
0.9mm Mechanical Pencil
Hardcover long book
Standard 8.5" x 11" Paper
Binder or regular Cardboard folder
Plastic Sleeves

I do not work in pen barely at all (I only have one work to date that is in pen, and I sold that off for about 30-50 dollars at an auction). I have tried painting occasionally, but never any good work. I do like bamboo and electronic pads they definitely make color easier (I HATE coloring anything in), but I like the hands on experience. Normally I draw the basic sketch like above normally, scan it in on a printer, and then edit colorize and scale on the Bamboo in either Corel or Paint.net (usually the latter because its a little faster for me as my Corel is on an ancient Windows XP).

As for time consumption its not that bad actually. With the First Drawing (the corridor with the carbonite) being my longest of about 45 minutes total its not to long. I usually turn these things out at about 10 minutes a picture. The Comics I could finish a season in 2 months total (my record is 1.5 using a whole ream of paper).

But yes I do use the Electronic pads frequently.

Another piece. This time Thunderbolt in the style of H.R. Giger (all rounded edges and a little more... visceral in appearance).
Posted Image

I appreciate this.

Some people look to the "newest and most efficient", and there is nothing wrong with that. But I prefer the tactile feel of my graphite on the paper. I've been learning my Bamboo, and it's certainly cleaner and I can see the potential.... but nothing I do on it feels.... real to me.

I like my steel chambered .5 mechanical pencils, my graphite bars, etc.

#9 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:53 PM

Dayum! You did all this while I was sleeping?It usually takes me a few days to finish a mech.Your Cata and Thunder look great!!! Maybe you could do a Warhammer?

#10 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

Nice! Love that little trash can.Warhammer looks very cool aswell.Warhammer is the only classc design I actually like.Now, can I have my last wish? Could you draw a Warhawk? I tried to draw it once , but I couldn't get it look right so I abandoned the idea.

#11 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

You are very good with perspective, light and shadow, but you should spend a little more attention to alignment. On some of your mechs, especially the Cataphract, the weapons point all in different directions and it even looks as if the cockpit was rotated to the left a bit (left from the observer's point of view).

Don't take this criticism the wrong way, your art is great, and light years ahead of what I could do. I especially love the last one. The whole scene is very well done, the background, the composition, the poses, I just love it. The only thing that could make it even better would be some footsteps/impressions in the ground.

Edited by zagibu, 06 April 2015 - 04:07 PM.

#12 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:31 PM

Not bad. I would say, continue working on perspective and the basic foundations.

#13 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:10 PM

Hehe, I wouldnt call myself "pro" Im just someone who draws everyday and have accumulated alot of the mileage.

With the whole approach thing to drawing mechs. Is to study things. It can be like car engines and stuff just to get that idea like how they move and would work.

I also look at other people's work, not like copy but to get the idea behind how they draw/paint. Like for example like Alex's (Flying debris) work and some other artists that draw really kool looking stuff. Then i would sketch out and draw stuff with their ideas how mechs, ships and machines work.

But this is also building off your basic foundations and what you know currently. Just keep drawing and you'll get better and dont be afraid to change stuff up.

#14 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 April 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

Actually I do use one. I use the Bamboo pad with Corel Essentials 7. I do use the Bamboo quite frequently especially for stuff like pixel art and coloring my drawings in. But in truth I am more of a hands on person.

I use only 5 things regularly-
0.9mm Mechanical Pencil
Hardcover long book
Standard 8.5" x 11" Paper
Binder or regular Cardboard folder
Plastic Sleeves

I do not work in pen barely at all (I only have one work to date that is in pen, and I sold that off for about 30-50 dollars at an auction). I have tried painting occasionally, but never any good work. I do like bamboo and electronic pads they definitely make color easier (I HATE coloring anything in), but I like the hands on experience. Normally I draw the basic sketch like above normally, scan it in on a printer, and then edit colorize and scale on the Bamboo in either Corel or Paint.net (usually the latter because its a little faster for me as my Corel is on an ancient Windows XP).

As for time consumption its not that bad actually. With the First Drawing (the corridor with the carbonite) being my longest of about 45 minutes total its not to long. I usually turn these things out at about 10 minutes a picture. The Comics I could finish a season in 2 months total (my record is 1.5 using a whole ream of paper).

But yes I do use the Electronic pads frequently.

Another piece. This time Thunderbolt in the style of H.R. Giger (all rounded edges and a little more... visceral in appearance).
Posted Image

That is an awesome thunderbolt style you've got there! Overall, you've got some nice sketches, but that Thud looks great! I'd really love to see some more of your stuff in this style, blending the curves with function.

Can I see your take on a Phoenix Hawk?

#15 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

Hey marack!
I like your work, could you try your hand at making a jagermech? It's always been my favorite heavy mech. :)

Thanks,
-ace

#16 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

Excellent work, thanks! I like the angular lines and how you modernized the feel of the overall mech.

#17 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

Alright, challenge time.

Can you make the Black Python...
Posted Image
...look good?

#18 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 13 April 2015 - 06:12 PM, said:

Challenge accepted... did my best. You had to choose the ugliest mech in all of BattleTech didn't you lol? Well here it is.

I may have gone looking for an internet consensus on what the ugliest mech of all time was, just to see what you made of it. :D

And, woah, that was a fast turn around! Really like your interpretation, too, the cockpit shape and row of teeth-like panels give it quite a menacing look.

#19 Shadowhunter99

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

You think you could draw me a spider 5D flying through the air fireing 2 ERLLs?
I know it is specific but if you could that would be awesome and thanks in advance

#20 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:46 AM

Your Zeus and Cataphract are perfect. I may be a little biased because the Cataphract is my favorite IS mech... Great job on the Black Python too, that thing was ugly!

Okay, challenge time. Can you draw Nine Ball...
Posted Image

battling a Lance of Battlemechs. A Standard Lance consists of one light, one medium, and two heavy BattleMechs (According to Sarna). I'm pretty sure Hustler One and his death machine could take them pretty easily, but you can do what you want with it.

Edited by AWOL 01, 23 April 2015 - 07:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users