9 replies to this topic

#1 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:06 PM

Am I the only kinda feeling like every map has the same sort of game play either it be CW or Normal drops...The maps favor engagement areas and choke points....Can we please get some more open warfare maps...larger maps maybe more players? a CW drop that would feel more like a battle then a focused brawling/sniping lanes....Keep the gate system have it called siege or something IDK but also create this new game style. Imagine the team base capture game mode but on a larger scale. Or a Conquest style where winner at the end of the match with the most nodes wins not the points from captured. And also Drops zones selection by Lance/Star Commander these being several km's apart to prevent complete spawn camping. Would encourage no death ball tactics but allowing each lance to have an objective to take and hold. Maybe reinforce or flank to help another lance. Death balls would not work due to needing to control lots of ground. I would love to see a match style that could reward versatility more then meta builds. Where scouts could use terrain to get into positions to spot and scout not always engage but report movements and spots. Just would like to see some maps with variety...Shoot and Scoot maps...LARGE maps like seen in MW4 days....More mission driven game play in some cases then just kill this and kill them style....Anyone else?

Edited by Crottykid16, 31 March 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

I +1 this topic, we do need more open CW maps and regular matches, always being in a pit to fight...?
Other people have said this before, too, so I'll give them the credit for that, why PGI makes pit maps is beyond me, but who knows, maybe they haven't found the right man, or woman, to do it.
Maybe once we officially get CW out of beta and fix many of the major bugs we can then get to making maps, I say we should make a topic in the CHG about making new maps, using Mechwarrior 4 Editor 2 to show screenshots of maps we could make.

Like CrottyKid said, "Anyone else?"

#3 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:54 PM

Dont expect more player bumps. Netcode already bottlenecks. That being said, yes +1 for bigger maps. MOAR MAPS.

#4 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

I'm starting to wonder if the cluttered, hemmed-in nature of MWO's maps is really just compensation for CryEngine issues. Hope not.

As far as map design, the moment you get large, wide-open spaces, we go right back to PPC/Gauss/LL/LRM meta that marked every previous MW title. (Come on...did ANYONE use brawler maps in those missions?) We still need the terrain broken up to keep brawling feasible.

#5 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:00 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 31 March 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

I'm starting to wonder if the cluttered, hemmed-in nature of MWO's maps is really just compensation for CryEngine issues. Hope not.

As far as map design, the moment you get large, wide-open spaces, we go right back to PPC/Gauss/LL/LRM meta that marked every previous MW title. (Come on...did ANYONE use brawler maps in those missions?) We still need the terrain broken up to keep brawling feasible.

I do not think it is. Crytek is capable of so much more, I am really confused why PGI is having so much trouble making the engine work for them.

#6 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 31 March 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

Not every map needs to have brawling spots...so maybe you would YES God forbid need a missile boat or two as artillery with a spotter to NARC or even just spot them you know GASP tactics! How to beat a LRM boat? Rush in get in it's face or counter battery them with your scout then GG. But This game mode might not be a bad idea to pack a LRM rack or two with a few tons of ammo...Yes its not a boat but versatile would be nice...and it would break up Meta....as there would be up close meta and Long range Meta...BOTH of those you would need to have a mech built for....Make you be more versatile in your builds and long range fighting is not NEARLY as devastating to mechs as brawling. Longer timers would be required yes but to me I like long engagement times and thoughtful approaches to targets not predictable choke points. Also add in FOB's possible by drop zones with limited ammo resupply and MAYBE limited repairs (maybe) say takes a min to do it. Not just walk by it but have to pull into it or by it and power down. Yes this would add more simulation value IMO to the game and allow for some NON meta builds to be just as powerful.

Edited by Crottykid16, 31 March 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#7 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostCrottykid16, on 31 March 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

Not every map needs to have brawling spots...so maybe you would YES God forbid need a missile boat or two as artillery with a spotter to NARC or even just spot them you know GASP tactics! How to beat a LRM boat? Rush in get in it's face or counter battery them with your scout then GG. But This game mode might not be a bad idea to pack a LRM rack or two with a few tons of ammo...Yes its not a boat but versatile would be nice...and it would break up Meta....as there would be up close meta and Long range Meta...BOTH of those you would need to have a mech built for....Make you be more versatile in your builds and long range fighting is not NEARLY as devastating to mechs as brawling. Longer timers would be required yes but to me I like long engagement times and thoughtful approaches to targets not predictable choke points. Also add in FOB's possible by drop zones with limited ammo resupply and MAYBE limited repairs (maybe) say takes a min to do it. Not just walk by it but have to pull into it or by it and power down. Yes this would add more simulation value IMO to the game and allow for some NON meta builds to be just as powerful.

That wasn't the reality in any previous MW titles, and I doubt it would be the reality here. You need broken-up terrain and close approaches to open up every style of gameplay, and PGI has done much better with that in every map not set on a freezing wasteland.

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 31 March 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

I do not think it is. Crytek is capable of so much more, I am really confused why PGI is having so much trouble making the engine work for them.

CryEngine is apparently such a pain in the neck that even Star Citizen is having problems with it.

I found it enlightening to read through the comments of a former MWLL developer. He wasn't always complimentary towards PGI, but he knew the issues and had the right critiquews.

#8 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

It's entirely possible for a map to have both open areas and more confined spaces. The problem is that PGI's map designers have this strange drive to force players to use lanes. It does make me wonder whether they directly hired people from LoL. :P

Sulfurous Rift, for example, could be drastically improved by simply removing the ridiculous 'out of bounds' zones between the lanes and making the hills more passable by agile 'Mechs. So much map is wasted. Same with the canyon network map. These maps should not be focused on a single choke point, they should be focused on a variety of areas that require teamwork and encourage creativity. The newest map at least does away with obvious lanes, but instead has a ridiculously tiny point where the gates are located and again the gameplay is limited to a tiny field.

Have some maps focused on paths, sure, but don't forcefully push players into doing the same thing over and over through single paths and choke points. CW was supposed to be the new 'hardcore' way to play, yet in many ways it's less open thanthe normal queues...

#9 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:58 PM

Is it to much to ask for though MW4 style simulations? Make them CW drops time limit might be over the 30 mins have this game mode count same as the others do now...But this be geared toward simulation game mode... Like I said more flowing not just a zerg of lights going for the gen then camp drop zones...Make speed and fire power the name of the game here...Yes giving probably Clans more advantage though would fight the lore of IS defending then counter attacking if possible. Scout lances would almost be needed along with a Heavy or Assault to take and hold objectives...Say like conquest but a WHOLE grid is the cap zone say a camp or a small town/farm. Gives some cover then from long range sniper fire....Also yes light swarms could be nasty but also you would have the range on them long before they could get in range...LRM's would be useful again..I want to see different game modes with different Meta's required....

#10 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

Needs refining but I do like the idea of larger slower battles, but people would whine 5 minutes in why it isn't done so they can Rambo prep their singular mech of the day again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users