Panther Striker Scouts

7 replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

Yeah, some people play with PPCs & LLs, I even tried them myself, they were OK. I still found myself wanting something else so I went with the typical Light loadout as seen below. This is for all the Panthers having trouble with PPCs & LLs or waiting for them to be available for CB.

PNT-10K - Probabaly the oddball, any JJs above 4 do not feel like they are different than having 4 so I gave on 5+. Two AMS also had to go to fit what I needed, one did just fine for protection or support. As seen below, the 8Z does it better though the 10K will save some on heat and have better Missile range that is useful with SRMs.

PNT-8Z - Same as the 10K with a TAG for either Spotting or Intel. Better Energy range than the 10K.

PNT-9R - PPCs are not really worth it giving only one quirk, having better generic quirks makes it better for running any Light Mech loadout. With only one Missile port, either a SRM6 or NARC work well. Being the most reliant on the RIght Arm, I put a bit extra padding in the Right Torso.

Max engine for all, 4JJs, max armor.
I played them as Light Strikers & Scouts, tough buggers especially with the shield arm, perfect to dash in and drop a UAV among the enemy.

Edited by Wildstreak, 31 March 2015 - 08:35 PM.

#2 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

I see you are building these somewhat similar to Ravens.

I personally have no problem with the PPC-ness of the Panther in general, and have to say, I really like the 10K with max JJs, max engine, and just a single ERPPC. It kind of feels like it can do anything, though less of some things than others. Like I wouldn't light duel with it. Well, that's not strictly true. I wouldn't RECOMMEND light dueling with it. Unless you are an accuracy phenom. Then by all means, do whatever you please.

The difference between the max JJ 10K and the next Panther is pretty noticeable if you switch back and forth between them for a few matches.

I actually dump a little engine on the 9R to turn it into a mid-range powerhouse, again via the PPC. I use 2 regular PPCs, and a small laser for poking things that try to get too close and because it is funny. The ability to put 20 damage on target at any range between 90 and ~600 is pretty handy. Good for killing, and I like it a lot better than a 4MPL build I tried.

The 8Z is one that I have trouble feeling awesome in. I've tried missiles, lasers, whatever, and am currently using 2LL. It is OK, but I feel that the Raven just flat-out does it better, what with the ability to mount ECM and all.

I eschew missiles on all of them, but not because missiles are bad. I just found heat-management difficult while using missiles in conjunction with energy weapons. Also tonnage was tougher to meet. I know I'm basically running counter to the OP's intent for the thread for the most part, but I feel like it is only fair to tell everyone that I tried the lighter energy spamming builds, and didn't like them much. You basically end up feeling like a Commando, but bigger, which isn't really super-great. I mean, you're beefy for a light, but you're still a light, and you're certainly no Firestarter.

#3 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

10K - 2xLarge Pulse Lasers
8Z - 3xMedium Pulse Lasers
9R - 4xMedium Pulse Lasers

Yes... Pulse Lasers !! :P

#4 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:02 PM

This has, against my own expectations, proven to be my most effective Panther, with ERPPC for long range work and ML+SRM2s for brawling. It makes a phenomenal assault-buddy, among other things. My usual MO is to poptart until something gets close to my chosen buddy then chase it off with my short-range weapons. Later on in the match I transition to a hunter-killer role and try to chase and finish whatever my buddy cores out. The key thing is not using alphas at all, but rather ignoring the PPC at close range entirely unless there's a shot that's just too good to pass up. It's no match for a FS9, but what light is? I toyed with replacing the ML with a TAG, but frankly I got more mileage out of the ML- for TAG to be useful, somebody needs to have LRMs, and that's not always a given, whereas a 5-pt poker is useful all the time.

When the PNTs come out for cbills, I intend to get a second 10K to run with this config for team support. I'm just loath to change what has been for me a very successful formula.

I'd suggest lots of practice with ER/PPCs, because the Panther really is a great platform for them (and for light sniper/harassers in general- hit and fade attacks are much easier with a weapon that lets you fade before it hits). Try some long-range running jumpshots on Training Grounds to get used to the lead. Once you've got that down, a whole new set of possibilities opens up- and if you're careful, you can deal a lot of damage without exposing yourself to return fire. They're not the easiest weapon to master right now, but they're well worth the effort to figure out.

#5 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:44 AM

PPCs & LLs may have their uses but the math just doesn't support it either.

10K - after quirks, a ERPPC makes 11.25 heat for 10 damage, MPL makes 3.5 heat for 6 damage. 2MPL = 7 heat for 12 damage. ERPPC gives range and PPD but MPL has better damage and heat management plus room for SRMs.

9R - PPCs only give a Velocity quirk, still 8.5 for 10 damage with a 90m deadzone, each ML is 3.4 for 5 damage, 4ML 13.6 for 20 damage and still more room for Missile backup.

8Z - no Heat Gen quirk so 2LL is still 14 heat for 18 damage, 2MPL = 8 heat for 12 damage, 3MPL 12 heat for 18 damage.

While PPCs & LLs give sniping, shorter ranged weapons allow better heat management and more damage dealing especially with shorter cooldowns on those weapons. Missile Range & cooldown buffs should not get skipped, even the NARC is useful getting over a 60m buff

View PostPS WrathOfDeadguy, on 31 March 2015 - 11:02 PM, said:

I toyed with replacing the ML with a TAG, but frankly I got more mileage out of the ML- for TAG to be useful, somebody needs to have LRMs, and that's not always a given, whereas a 5-pt poker is useful all the time.

TAG is useful even when no one has LRMs.
During one of the recent events, I had gotten the kill I needed for that match and a lone DIre Wolf was left, I was the only one near him. I popped the TAG on him from behind, whole team swung around to get him.

#6 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

I find that the FLD and range make the PPC/ERPPC builds worth it to me. If I want to run a high quantity of light weapons, I could just go drive my Locusts or buy a Jenner or Firestarter, and if I want to SRM shotgun things, I have a Stormcrow and a Commando for that, or I could spend some of my compulsively hoarded MC on a Huggin.

Though, like I said, I really just haven't found my sweet spot on the 8Z. I tried a bunch of things on each of these before using the meta builds, and while the 4MPL was ok, my TDK does it better. The rest of the ML/MPL + SRM mixed builds just failed to satisfy at all. Especially on the 10K. I much prefer the single ERPPC harassment thing I've got going on now, since it takes advantage of the ability to poptart over pretty near any obstacle.

#7 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:30 AM

I've been running all my Panthers about the same: 2xLL 1xNarc. I'm not getting amazing damage (I average about 250-300 with 1 kill - some more; some less). But the Narc is fun. Most games aren't packed with LRMs but I like trying to hit the enemy ECM mech which kills the enemy's bubble. It also swings the pugs towards whoever I narc. Pulse firestarters are my worst nightmare.

#8 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

The thing about the 8Z is this.
Compared to the other 2, it has no Heat Gen quirk to reduce heat even with LL, other generic buffs are less than the other 2 in different ways. The one thing going for it is good hardpoints, 2 Missile if you worry about losing the RA and 3 RA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users