8 replies to this topic

#1 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:48 PM

Someone please tell me I did not see this. Look at the consumable indicator:

http://i.imgur.com/rPNpfmi.jpg

Is MWO really calculating shadows for the HUD items? These are only visible when mech geometry is very near the cockpit like on this Hunchback.

Edited by Modo44, 01 April 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#2 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

These are not the shadows you are looking for *slight wave of hand*.

#3 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:45 PM

The free standing text has a subtle, transparent shadow (you can see it under the distance marker too), but it's not rendered against the mechs geometry. I think that's just a bug, it looks like the shadow is offset to far in your example.

Or does the shadow actually distort with the moving mech/when you move the view with free look? That would be a real issue.

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:53 PM

This is torso geometry -- it is static regardless of how you move. There is no such shadow on mechs without geometry visible so close to the cockpit.

#5 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:59 PM

View PostModo44, on 01 April 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

This is torso geometry -- it is static regardless of how you move. There is no such shadow on mechs without geometry visible so close to the cockpit.

There is, the shadow is usually just mostly hidden by the text. It's not easy to spot on your picture, but look closely at the distance indicator. There is a bit of a shadow under it, slightly offset to the lower right. That shadow makes it easier to read and gives a perception of depth. Your consumable indicator shadow might be offset to far.

My Hunchies indicators are normal, and there also is that shadow below the consumables.

Edited by Averen, 01 April 2015 - 11:00 PM.

#6 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:11 PM

Either way, these are not shadows from font bitmaps. The engine is actively rendering them. For HUD fonts.

#7 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:37 PM

They are calculated, but on a 2D layer. When they are static, then they're not rendered in realtime anyway.

Look at this:
http://www.charlespe...sDropShadow.png

MWO uses this kind of shadow, and just blurs out the shadows edges.

Btw, If you want to make the check: Shift+F11 allows you to deactivate the hud, and F9 shows your framerate. The Hud is kinda performance hungry, should be around 5%fps gain under normal circumstances.

Edited by Averen, 01 April 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#8 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:47 PM

Now, take a guess why the HUD is so damn hungry. Ever wondered how many other useless things it does?

#9 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:33 AM

Huds are hungry. Your shadow is a static font shadow.

Heck, do you even know what mech geometry is? That's surfaces, angled to your camera. Is the shadow contorted based on the fall of light? No? Then it's not rendered against the geometry.

Am I getting trolled or are you just so utterly clueless?

Edited by Averen, 02 April 2015 - 02:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users