Repair Tool Update

82 replies to this topic

#41 Fooby

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

Well I saw this and decided I might as well just run the repair tool before the patch. It scans, finds the errors and things it will delete, I hit "fix errors" to start downloading and after a few seconds it crashes with "MWORepairTool has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Running "as admin" doesn't change anything and I've never had any issues running the tool before, so I guess I just have to wait for the patch?

#42 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

I ran the repair tool on both my computers last night prior to going to bed, woke up to find them both crashed. Never had an issue in the past with the repair tool, or patching, rarely ever had a crashing issue with mwo. Will this now affect my game prior to april 21since the repair tool essentially downloaded some new paks and not others?

#43 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:04 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 15 April 2015 - 05:59 AM, said:

I ran the repair tool on both my computers last night prior to going to bed, woke up to find them both crashed. Never had an issue in the past with the repair tool, or patching, rarely ever had a crashing issue with mwo. Will this now affect my game prior to april 21since the repair tool essentially downloaded some new paks and not others?

It shouldn't cause any problems. Any incomplete downloads won't have replaced existing files, the files just get swapped out when the download completes. If you restart the repair tool and go into the options to disable two-way consolidation, the repair tool will just resume the previously active download.

#44 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:30 AM

Yeah, I ran it a second time, and it completed properly, on both computers.

#45 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:56 PM

So, I installed SweetFX recently. Then I made the mistake of running the repair tool, which promptly "cleaned" my SweetFX with its settings. As long as using SweetFX is not forbidden by ToS, could the repair tool please leave it alone?

#46 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

View PostModo44, on 16 April 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

So, I installed SweetFX recently. Then I made the mistake of running the repair tool, which promptly "cleaned" my SweetFX with its settings. As long as using SweetFX is not forbidden by ToS, could the repair tool please leave it alone?

Hmmm...

http://mwomercs.com/...wo-game-client/

Q: May I use graphical enhancements through third-party applications, such as SweetFX or other CBar modifiers to enhance my graphical performance?

A: We do not encourage the use of these types of modifications and in particular should we detect the use of any modification that does any of the following we reserve the right to suspend/ban the account responsible.

a) Alters visibility significantly from the original product to gain unfair tactical advantages
b ) Changes game assets sounds, models, or maps, to gain tactical advantages
c) Attempts to circumvent the map selection process
d) Exploits bugs or existing game mechanics

Edited by ShinVector, 16 April 2015 - 10:50 PM.

#47 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:18 PM

SweetFX does none of that. It prettifies the game, e.g. by making shadows more defined or adding vibrance. It also has built in SMAA, which looks nicer than FXAA, but works faster than MSAA.

Edited by Modo44, 16 April 2015 - 11:18 PM.

#48 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

View PostModo44, on 16 April 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

There's a default option to clean out any files detected in the install base that aren't ours. It's called "Two-way consolidation". You can turn this off by going into the repair tool options (note that this option doesn't save when you close the repair tool, if you want it off the next time you run, you will need to set it again at that time).

#49 JAFO

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

When I try to run the game icon from my desktop I get:
"Failed to Launch the MWOPatcher.exe - Access is Denied." I am trying to run this as administrator and it does not work.

When I try to run the repair tool from the Bin32 folder I get:
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item." I am trying to run this as the administrator, it makes no difference.

I had these same issues on April 7th, when the patch with the Urbanmech was released. PGI then issued that hot patch the next evening and it was corrected, but now I am having the same issue.

I am running Windows 7 - 64bit.

Edited by JAFO, 17 April 2015 - 06:18 PM.

#50 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:08 PM

I ran the repair tool as advised to decrease my patch download, and now the game client will not load. I watch in the task manager and it begins to load, gets up to 2500k memory usage then quits out, no slash screen... nadda. Oh, and the repair tool now states the game files are good too. Normally run the program as an admin, even tried disabling that option to no effect.

PC: Win7x64 | i7-3770K 3.5GHz | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti | 8Gb Gskill RAM | ASUS Z77-A | HX1050w | etc...

help :D (will file ticket soon)

edit: had to uninstall and reinstall MWO client <_< it works again :P

Edited by Grendel408, 18 April 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#51 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

I'm running the repair tool now, one thing that seems quite out of place to me is that it is removing an excessive amount (estimation 400+) of TS3 log files. A bit less for some omnicron build logs, but I'll just assume those are something to do with server side updates.

The thing that worries me about the TS3 logs is that I don't use the in-game voip - so it's functioning at a certain level even when disabled which is probably causing some instability and adding to memory usage that I don't want allocated to it.

I also noticed some odd named .paks such as applejack.pak that didn't fit the naming structure of the rest of the ones in the list.

#52 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:17 PM

yah those are normal been there as long as ive been playing

#53 Red Team

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

Posted Image

Disabled two-way consolidation... ran it as administrator... still freezes.

This is following a recent reinstall (three days ago) as the first window that opens up when you run MWO was freezing and failing to completely load.

*throws arms up in the air, and gets a "coping" beer*

#54 thelostson

• PipPipPip
  • First Leutnant
  • First Leutnant
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:47 AM

The repair tools seems very unstable, it just stopped working for the 4th time in a row now. Each new .pak file it works on kills it. This will be a major issue for players installing the next patch. It will take them forever ...

#55 monk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:06 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 17 April 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

I ran the repair tool as advised to decrease my patch download, and now the game client will not load. I watch in the task manager and it begins to load, gets up to 2500k memory usage then quits out, no slash screen... nadda. Oh, and the repair tool now states the game files are good too. Normally run the program as an admin, even tried disabling that option to no effect.

PC: Win7x64 | i7-3770K 3.5GHz | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti | 8Gb Gskill RAM | ASUS Z77-A | HX1050w | etc...

help :D (will file ticket soon)

edit: had to uninstall and reinstall MWO client <_< it works again :P

This is what happened to me, too. Have used it in the past with no issue. Seems something that has changed is now causing some of us to have games that won't lauch without a full reinstall. Not excited. =\

#56 xCico

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image

Very nice... Came to play a game, gonna wait 3 days to finish...

#57 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

Oh boy. Now I know what the message meant regarding the repair tool.

(Sadly watches an MWO reinstall).

#58 Fat Amy

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:06 PM

Well, would´ve been nice to announce this a little more prominent. I never noticed this info before, so I naturally didn´t run the repair tool before todays patch. Now I´m annoyed. I´m thinking, if I didn´t notice it, even though I frequently browse these forums, than there must be a buttload of people who didn´t even have a chance to get it.

Please make important stuff like this more "visible" in the future!!

#59 Runenstahl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationLyran Commonwealth (Germany)

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:07 PM

I actually DID run to repair tool for a night a couple of days ago... but now it seems it's still redoing most of that again :(

#60 Fat Amy

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

Well, after a few hours it seemed ready to go and said "play". Now the game crashes right after logging in without any message to desktop. Great. Just great. I just hope this will get fixed before Tukayyid!
:angry:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users