9 replies to this topic

#1 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

I would like to run another contest once the map reset goes into effect similar to the propaganda one I did in January. I would like it to be more "in-game" than the propaganda and promote people to fight the Davions. The problem is that everything I can think of would rely on a screenshot as "proof" but would be easily photoshopped.

I was wondering if any of the fine members of House Liao could come up with any contest ideas that would promote people playing CW but would be photoshop proof.

#2 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Sian

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

I thought the propaganda one was ace. Let me put my thinking cap on....

#3 Stoneblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 574 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCCAF Feng Yun

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

So, a new Type of contest that's CW oriented? Videos, photos, stories? But after the Map reset?
I just want to make sure we are on the same page about this, I enjoyed looking at the other one.

#4 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostStoneblade, on 09 April 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

So, a new Type of contest that's CW oriented? Videos, photos, stories? But after the Map reset?
I just want to make sure we are on the same page about this, I enjoyed looking at the other one.

What I had in mind was something like "Get to 48 kills against the Rats the fastest" to encourage people to log in and murder Davions. The only way *I* could think of to have someone prove a certain time would to be to post a screenshot (and in the event that multiple people were in the game the credit would go to whoever posted the screenshot first). BUUUUT it would obviously be very easy for someone to fake a timer in a screenshot in photoshop.

I liked my propaganda contest too and may do it again in the future, but I really want to think of something that would require a pile of Davion corpses to qualify :)

Edited by Maxwell Albritten, 09 April 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#5 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to organize a drive against the Davions during a set date/range of dates. Then, have official representatives of your contest drop in the groups. They could then provide verification that the screen shots are accurate.

The only problem with that is that it is time intensive for your volunteers, and that you most likely will not have enough volunteers to cover the number of groups.

#6 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 09 April 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to organize a drive against the Davions during a set date/range of dates. Then, have official representatives of your contest drop in the groups. They could then provide verification that the screen shots are accurate.

The only problem with that is that it is time intensive for your volunteers, and that you most likely will not have enough volunteers to cover the number of groups.

Hmmm...you've given me an idea. I will have to let this percolate a bit in my brain-noodle.

Keep the ideas coming people :)

#7 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 09 April 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

Hmmm...you've given me an idea. I will have to let this percolate a bit in my brain-noodle.

Keep the ideas coming people :)

You're welcome! It's based on Events I used to organize in my old Unit, but it was small so it was a lot easier to "verify" entries.

Edited by Nightmare1, 09 April 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#8 Stoneblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 574 posts
  • LocationCCAF Feng Yun

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:24 PM

I like the Idea of the EoR(End of Round) screenshot race. I've had to do these for MRBC and ISC Leagues. Yes, you have to worry about photoshop, but Video uploads could be used to verify(for those who have the Tech).

#9 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

View PostStoneblade, on 09 April 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

I like the Idea of the EoR(End of Round) screenshot race. I've had to do these for MRBC and ISC Leagues. Yes, you have to worry about photoshop, but Video uploads could be used to verify(for those who have the Tech).

I thought about doing a video upload, but figured that most people don't know how and I'd get like two entries. Maybe more pilots know how to do video capture than I think?

I'd be happy to be wrong. This would be my optimal solution.

#10 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:23 PM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 09 April 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

I thought about doing a video upload, but figured that most people don't know how and I'd get like two entries. Maybe more pilots know how to do video capture than I think?

I'd be happy to be wrong. This would be my optimal solution.

This is what I use: https://obsproject.com/

OBS doesn't put a lot of demand on the PC. I usually record to my hard drive and then select the footage I want to keep. I discard the rest. Alternatively, it can be set to stream on Twitch.

For folks with Nvidia, the upper end cards come equipped with ShadowPlay which is a game capture program designed to have minimal impact gameplay performance. I liked OBS over it though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users