Ni Hao, Fellow Liao Citiens

12 replies to this topic

#1 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:44 PM

As you all will have seen by now, a few days ago, I posted a message saying that I will have to leave and stop playing, but due to circumstances since then, I have found that I am able to get back into playing, so I know that I cannot delete my previous post, but if you all could just ignore it, that would be just peachy. :-)

Also, I am having a little trouble with choosing a good Light class 'Mech. I have tried the Firestarter, but that does not seem to be the 'Mech for me, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a Light IS 'Mech and possibly any good weapons that would be good on it?

I would much prefer a jump-capable 'Mech, and/or ECM equipped, but I am not too worried about those.

#2 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

Firestarter is still the IS light. Check out the master guide for the mech here: http://metamechs.com...es/firestarter/

I think Raven would be next to look at: http://metamechs.com...r-guides/raven/

#3 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, I tried the Firestarter, it just did not seem the appropriate mech for me. I was thinking of going for the Raven, but still not committed to buying one yet. I might try the trial chassis before I commit to it.

#4 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 08 April 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

Also, I am having a little trouble with choosing a good Light class 'Mech. I have tried the Firestarter, but that does not seem to be the 'Mech for me, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a Light IS 'Mech and possibly any good weapons that would be good on it?

Actually the appropriate question is 'why don't you think it fits you ?'.
What type of play style do you actually prefer ?

Do take note lights are lights... You play badly or have bad luck you die quickly without achieving anything.

#5 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:05 PM

View PostShinVector, on 08 April 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

Actually the appropriate question is 'why don't you think it fits you ?'.
What type of play style do you actually prefer ?

Do take note lights are lights... You play badly or have bad luck you die quickly without achieving anything.

Do not get me wrong, the Firestarter is an excellent 'Mech, it is just that it is a little difficult to find the best wepons to put on it, pus what type of armour ai should use, ferro fibros or endo.
I have not played lights in almost 15 years, so i can completely rusty :-(

#6 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 08 April 2015 - 07:05 PM, said:

Do not get me wrong, the Firestarter is an excellent 'Mech, it is just that it is a little difficult to find the best wepons to put on it, pus what type of armour ai should use, ferro fibros or endo.

Actually I am trying to find out your play style.
There are just sooo many different ways to play a light mech... What do you picture yourself doing in it ?
I own every single IS mech (well at least 3 variants of every chassis) in the game except for that 30 ton trash can, which I am not going to pay real money for. ;)

Edited by ShinVector, 08 April 2015 - 07:12 PM.

#7 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Sian

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

A jenner is pretty good choice - doesn't have the ECM but with JJs and up to x6 MLAS and speedy as it is, the jennery can be a nasty little irritant. As Shin said in his post, find your style and preference then get the mech to fit it....

WML

#8 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:14 AM

Ohhhhh nooo.... Jenner F has become subpar compared to other lights thx to the quirk system.
Eg... Not it mcuh can do that the Firestarter can't do better... The only one thing is Jenner are better at poptarting thx to the high hard points in the arms.. thats it...

And if you want to take a hard hitting Jenner.. It would either be the Splat Oxide or the Jenner K 4xMPLS.

#9 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostShinVector, on 09 April 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

Ohhhhh nooo.... Jenner F has become subpar compared to other lights thx to the quirk system.
Eg... Not it mcuh can do that the Firestarter can't do better... The only one thing is Jenner are better at poptarting thx to the high hard points in the arms.. thats it...

And if you want to take a hard hitting Jenner.. It would either be the Splat Oxide or the Jenner K 4xMPLS.

Love the Splat Oxide but never enough ammo.

#10 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

I love the Jenner dearly (it's my founder's mech), but it really is hard to justify its use over any other IS light except maybe the locust.

Even a properly fit urbanmech is most useful and survivable than the jenner....

#11 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:30 PM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 09 April 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

....Even a properly fit urbanmech is most useful and survivable than the jenner....

Max, you're hurting me and my Jenner-K

#12 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 09 April 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

Even a properly fit urbanmech is most useful and survivable than the jenner....

I probably won't compare Trash cans to Jenner though.
And guess what... Its taking the Trash Can to the Trash (Is this an Inception loop ?) Weekend !! :P

#13 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 08 April 2015 - 07:05 PM, said:

5 medium pulse lasers and 2 JJ is my defacto FS9 build. Can't recall ATM if you need both endo and FF. I always go for Endo; with FF you lose many slots but if you only have a small amount of armour (all lights), then the tonnage reduction is too small.

Basically for lights in CW (assuming you are talking about CW, right?), you want either something with high firepower (firestarter and uh...well, there are other okay/good mechs, but the FS9 is the "meta".) or ECM. As long as its roughly comparable to the standard of 5MPL's damage, that's fine with me.

For ECM mechs, I do generally prefer an XL-engined Cicada. Plays just like a light really, at 40 tons. Cicada 3M is what I use for that. Also the Spider 5D (I think) seems to be a very good ECM mech. And in my opinion, if you don't mind shelling some bucks out, the PIrate's Bane locust is the best value for ECM in the game, at only 20 tons!!

My opinion, and take it at that. My word ain't gospel.

Liao seems like a nice group of folks- would be with the Capellans if the FRR didn't scream my name from day 1.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users