99 replies to this topic

#21 Theaus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia, United States

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

Just a quick question or two. So the attackers push in through the gate; now you don't want them to rush and destroy all the generators and you don't want them to hold a defensible position and kill any spawn or peek? Do you want them to just rush one generator per wave; shall we pick a different gate each time so that all the turrets get to shoot us too? Tell me another winning strategy for the attackers and I will gladly add it to our repertoire. Because if you say you don't like it when we ignore the enemy and you don't like it when we just focus on killing you; what is the proper amount of attention you would like. Blame PGI for spawning enemies the way that they do; or do what we do when enemy teams do it to us (take the spawn back from the attackers; since the defenders reinforcements come every 30 seconds whereas the attackers have to walk back). Now, I'm glad you didn't call out any players or units (other than the one I founded); but have you seen xbox live? watch this have a chuckle and thank the powers that be the opposing teams can't voice comm each other (and if the all chat is really that upsetting to you, you can turn it off)

#22 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:38 PM

Don´t be silly, Theaus. We both know the only way to do this fair is to approach the gates backwards with our arms up and our pants down.

Everything else is clearly showing our unsportsman-like attitude.

#23 Lawrence Elsa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPacific Standard Timezone

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostKlappspaten, on 09 April 2015 - 06:22 AM, said:

Ed, ed ,ed ... we have a little missunderstanding here. We never claimed to be 'nice' to the clanners, From day one especially clan wolf pilots where comming here to trashtalk us and generally be {Richard Cameron}. And you know, you get what you give.

I can't speak for CWDG, SWOL, or even RCW, but when it comes to CWI we have a very strict policy about trash-talk. Even one slip-up can get you suspended or even banned from the forums and TS server.

I have never insulted anyone, and have even apologized for the actions our other players have taken, and yet I have even been told to "do the world a favor and swallow all of your pills" as well as some very detailed **** jokes.

Scoops Kerensky is one of the nicest trolls I've fought against in CW, and has even said Good Game when given a good fight.
Let that sink in: The guy who is the leader of the NKVA is one of the least asinine trolls I've ever fought against.

When Clan wolf was winning, we had people say "Stop gen rushing!" so we brawled. They then said "stop stalling and get it over with!" so we offered Zelbrigen and one-on-one matches. We got people saying they were gonna report us and "enjoy getting your unit disbanded f*****s!". It is obvious that there are a lot of people who play this game, most of them pugs, who just need to learn how to be decent people, and that goes for all video games.

Quite frankly all I have to say at this point is this:
If you can't be nice when you lose, and you can't be nice when you win, then that is not our problem, that's yours.

#24 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostTheaus, on 09 April 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

Just a quick question or two. So the attackers push in through the gate; now you don't want them to rush and destroy all the generators and you don't want them to hold a defensible position and kill any spawn or peek? Do you want them to just rush one generator per wave; shall we pick a different gate each time so that all the turrets get to shoot us too? Tell me another winning strategy for the attackers and I will gladly add it to our repertoire. Because if you say you don't like it when we ignore the enemy and you don't like it when we just focus on killing you; what is the proper amount of attention you would like. Blame PGI for spawning enemies the way that they do; or do what we do when enemy teams do it to us (take the spawn back from the attackers; since the defenders reinforcements come every 30 seconds whereas the attackers have to walk back). Now, I'm glad you didn't call out any players or units (other than the one I founded); but have you seen xbox live? watch this have a chuckle and thank the powers that be the opposing teams can't voice comm each other (and if the all chat is really that upsetting to you, you can turn it off)

he wants you to post gl hf o7 mechwarriors! and then challenge him to an honor duel, then lose, then say 'i have lost fairly. you are the better man.' and then thank him for the game.

View PostLawrence Elsa, on 09 April 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

When Clan wolf was winning, we had people say "Stop gen rushing!" so we brawled. They then said "stop stalling and get it over with!" so we offered Zelbrigen and one-on-one matches. We got people saying they were gonna report us and "enjoy getting your unit disbanded f*****s!". It is obvious that there are a lot of people who play this game, most of them pugs, who just need to learn how to be decent people, and that goes for all video games.

just in case it ever comes up, if we claim we're going to report you it is a lie

#25 Lawrence Elsa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 09 April 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

he wants you to post gl hf o7 mechwarriors! and then challenge him to an honor duel, then lose, then say 'i have lost fairly. you are the better man.' and then thank him for the game.

While it's insane to ask everyone to do that, I try to remember to do that every game. That's just me though.

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 09 April 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

just in case it ever comes up, if we claim we're going to report you it is a lie

Yeah, but major units aren't dumb enough to announce when they report someone, and in all honesty I laugh my ass off reading your threads. I don't want you guys to stop since it's just minimal trolling, especially compared to the crap I keep seeing.

#26 mxlm

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostTam Wolfcry, on 09 April 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

This thread is HI-larius. Seriously? you want to complain about IS pilots? You want to complain about CW when PGI refuses to balance Clan vs IS match ups? Light rushes are the only way for IS to have a chance of winning on the attack. Don't like it? Yell at PGI.

I notice that you have a Kurita icon. You should, you know, join the TS server, and enjoy being carried by one of the various groups there who are more than capable of winning on the attack. It's apparent that you've never played with a competent group before, and I suspect you'll enjoy the experience.

#27 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

View PostKlappspaten, on 09 April 2015 - 07:50 AM, said:

Oh yeah, trashtalk is important, of course there is a line one shouldn't cross, but other than that, anybody who takes it serious should go get his screws tightened.

The problem with MWO is that for a large deal of their middle aged population, that perceived line is literally the starting line

Edited by MadWOPR, 09 April 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#28 Wabbit Swaya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the cockpit of a BJ, annoying the hell outta someone for wasting a medium slot.

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

Sorry Edison, but this might hurt... GROW THICKER SKIN!!!!

#29 callmejon

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 76 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

Kill everything!

Die clanner!

#30 Lawrence Elsa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:33 PM

View PostMadWOPR, on 09 April 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

The problem with MWO is that for a large deal of their middle aged population, that perceived line is literally the starting line

And now the big question is: is that really such a bad thing?

Hear me out:
As someone who grew up playing Battletech and has role-played with Clan Wolf since Mechwarrior 2, I can empathize with the distress of the older Mechwarrior fans that look at the newer players with their idea of gaming being less formal, and they feel like the community that they built is being corrupted and killed. Most of these feelings are due to the fact that Mechwarrior was nowhere near as popular as it was between 2002 to 2009, and If you trash talked the enemy team, then you would return to an empty server with no-one to fight, because you insulted the only 10 people you knew who played MWLL with you.

Does this mean the new community is a bad thing? God no! Mechwarrior has been more alive than it's been since 1994! Gamers these days do have a certain way they play together, and that involves saying things like "Lol, get rekt!", "pwned" and the likes. What does need to happen is a certain understanding from the older players that this isn't their own little club-house and newer people have their own way of playing, and newer players need to understand that this community is full of older and less hostile players since most of them knew each other for years before this game was even under development.

Edited by Lawrence Elsa, 09 April 2015 - 04:42 PM.

#31 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

As I recall the guy said he's in his mid-40s and been enjoying Battletech and Mechwarrior since it's inception, I really don't think the game's challenge is as much of an issue here as he's mostly looking/needing to get into a group of people that don't act like CoD kids when they play this game.

Honestly that's why I am in the unit I'm in and for the most part avoid the TS hubs, while I've not been involved in the franchise as long as he has I still don't have the patience to deal with a lot of the unavoidable childish behavior of our younger part of the player base. He would have enjoyed our unit (I think all but 2-3 of us are 30's and up), but we unfortunately live on opposite sides of the planet so our times didn't match up at all.

Like I said before, kids will be kids. It will keep a fair share of our older players running without comms and out of organized groups and that's a shame because they are missing out on some of the best parts of this game.

#32 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:08 PM

I do hope that people aren't perceiving the somewhat lore-friendly banter between IS and Clan players as genuine malice. I understand things don't always translate 100% on the internet, especially text. But since I've seen very little hostility (although some players in FRR will "preach" to the enemy about how to be better if they complain, lol) between opposing teams, I fear that this is the case.

Now, some people will commonly get upset at solo players that won't listen or read anything the team has to say, and be rude. That'll happen in a game-mode that is intended to be, or at least is perceived as competitive. Some people won't play it competitively, as most do. We shouldn't really get angry at them either- only try to instruct and educate them. Some people perform poorly because of desire or inherent stupidity- many perform poorly only through ignorance. And ignorance is NOT meant as an insult here- the documentation in MWO is sorely lacking. I cannot blame them for not knowing things- but I CAN blame myself for not teaching them. Of course, I can also blame PGI for not documenting their game better.

#33 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:05 PM

Here's how our strategy works:

1. We get wasted on mushrooms and mead.

2. We climb, fall, vomit and sing our way into the nearest robot.

3. Someone somehow gets the dropship going in some random direction before the red haze and singing dwarfs get mixed up with the euphoric bliss of unhampered aggression, taste of blood and maniacal laughter.

4. ????

5. We wake up with more planets, loot, groupies (well...), and complaints on the forums.

Your problem must stem from the "????" section of the plan, and whatever happens then we'll have to trust your word on since we can't remember **** all. We'd apologise for the inconvenience if it wasn't for the fact that we are sadists who enjoy the pain and suffering of others. (Democratic sadists fighting for freedom and dignity, that is) We can't help it, it's a cultural thing. You don't wanna mess with cultural, do you?

Don't cry, wolf.

Edited by Sjorpha, 09 April 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#34 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 09 April 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

Here's how our strategy works:

1. We get wasted on mushrooms and mead.

2. We climb, fall, vomit and sing our into the nearest robot.

3. Someone somehow gets the dropship going in some random direction before the red haze and singing dwarfs get mixed up with the euphoric bliss of unhampered aggression, taste of blood and maniacal laughter.

4. ????

5. We wake up with more planets, loot, groupies (well...), and complaints on the forums.

Your problem must stem from the "????" section of the plan, and whatever happens then we'll have to trust your word on since we can't remember **** all. We'd apologise for the inconvenience if it wasn't for the fact that we are sadists who enjoy the pain and suffering of others. (Democratic sadists fighting for freedom and dignity, that is) We can't help it, it's a cultural thing. You don't wanna mess with cultural, do you?

Don't cry, wolf.

Strikingly accurate representation of FRR tactics. I think that our marshalls somehow remain sober though; which is very fortunate. I don't mind being led by a mad, clever drunkard, but since I'm likely to be one of those it must be balanced out with a solid mind. Actually, they are probably just SO inebriated that they've transcended time and space and are filling the shoes of a proper mechwarrior through metaphysical activity.

FRR has the highest esprit-de-corp of any faction, IMO.

Edited by Sandersson Jankins, 09 April 2015 - 09:32 PM.

#35 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:03 AM

View PostLawrence Elsa, on 09 April 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

I can't speak for CWDG, SWOL, or even RCW, but when it comes to CWI we have a very strict policy about trash-talk. Even one slip-up can get you suspended or even banned from the forums and TS server.

I have never insulted anyone, and have even apologized for the actions our other players have taken, and yet I have even been told to "do the world a favor and swallow all of your pills" as well as some very detailed **** jokes.

You are missing the point of trashtalk. Calling someone a ******, or a little *****, or insulting his parents isn't trashtalk, its generally being a jerk. If people do that report them, make a screenshot, note the map and time and report them.

But trashtalk is something else entirely. When we drop with a FRR group and write stuff like "get off our damn lawn!" or "you can't handle the good mead!", or we ask the clanners here that guy is that just was in 5 stomps against us and tell them that we like him because he's a brave warrior, THAT is trashtalk, if you feel insulted by that, you just miss the point.

#36 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:19 AM

View PostSandersson Jankins, on 09 April 2015 - 09:32 PM, said:

...I think that our marshalls somehow remain sober though...

This is a lie and you are a liar.

As soon as I find out what or who our marshalls are I am going to challange you to a Trial of Buffoonery.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 10 April 2015 - 04:23 AM.

#37 Lawrence Elsa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:25 AM

View PostKlappspaten, on 10 April 2015 - 03:03 AM, said:

You are missing the point of trashtalk. Calling someone a ******, or a little *****, or insulting his parents isn't trashtalk, its generally being a jerk. If people do that report them, make a screenshot, note the map and time and report them.

But trashtalk is something else entirely. When we drop with a FRR group and write stuff like "get off our damn lawn!" or "you can't handle the good mead!", or we ask the clanners here that guy is that just was in 5 stomps against us and tell them that we like him because he's a brave warrior, THAT is trashtalk, if you feel insulted by that, you just miss the point.

I do enjoy the "Get off our lawn" and "we heard your orbital cannon needs repairs" jokes, and if you consider that to be trash-talk then apparently you and I have very different definitions of the word. Keep doin' what you do.

#38 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:54 AM

Never seen that "we heard your orbital cannon needs repairs." one, definitely going to use that.

#39 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:09 AM

I do enjoy the "Get off our Lawn young whippersnappers." and the classic mid-match calls "Dropships (Turrets) are OP".

Occasionally good fun to just pick out a random player against a group of people you don't know and say "Focus fire on xxx, we need him down quickly." followed by someone else "Team chat man." Usually it inspires the other team to band together and play harder which is good when you drop as a team against pugs.

#40 quantaca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:26 AM

now i can get some of the OP's frustration about the trash talking (and no sadly its not the urbie that's got a voice ).
but first some other thingies
spawn camping well this happens basicaly when the other team is better (or you messed up) and you cant really expect them to say you know what we'll back off so you can group up again, well i guess you can hope for it but its not realistic.
light rushing or heavy rushing for the clanners well i can't say i like it mostly i feel a bit dirty and annoyed for the wasted time when doing that but it is a tactic like any other.

now back to trashtalking, well i'm going to be honest and say that some things do offend me, things like, vatborn scum there's also one about testtube babies i cant remember correctly, well there are probably people playing this game that are actual testtube babies. even something simple as die clanner can get on my wick as to me its just another form of racial discrimination, now i know most people don't actually hate and are just roleplaying but still...

just seeing that the first reaction to the original post (which is about ethics mind) was die clanner and its liked by almost 10 people does tell me something.

now for something positive, most of the people we play (with) are pretty decent folks i feel that its only a small percentage of players that feel the need to be this other way, yes there's the whole this team sucks and getting accused of aimbotting (sadly not me personally i'm not nearly that good) part also but i chalk that one up to frustration

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users