Conserning Ingame Ethics And Cw

99 replies to this topic

#41 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:34 AM

Honestly, the turn off all chat option is there for a reason. If words flung at you on an internet game get you so worked up that you feel the need to churn out reports to PGI whenever there are some words on the screen you don't like, that's more of a you problem than a reportable offense, IMO.

Reports should be for TKers and other blatant garbage, but filling up the report queue with BS about how your feelings were hurt because someone you have the ability to mute said they think you're a garbage pilot who abuses painkillers while playing (an example) seems like a waste of time for everyone involved, especially with PGIs small staff. With a looming steam release, those efforts going toward typing out report emails should be better spent learning the mute function or hardening your skin, because when people flood in who give absolutely zero care at all to your sense of netmech from 1994 it's going to be a rough go for a lot of people.

#42 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:00 AM

Mostly I use the lore for my trashtalk. So people know I am "in character".

It is not my fault people root for stupid factions with disgusting customs and obnoxious traditions.
When I remind them of what exactly these traditions actually are they get mad. Bummer.

#43 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:17 AM

View Postquantaca, on 10 April 2015 - 06:26 AM, said:

now i can get some of the OP's frustration about the trash talking (and no sadly its not the urbie that's got a voice ).
but first some other thingies
spawn camping well this happens basicaly when the other team is better (or you messed up) and you cant really expect them to say you know what we'll back off so you can group up again, well i guess you can hope for it but its not realistic.
light rushing or heavy rushing for the clanners well i can't say i like it mostly i feel a bit dirty and annoyed for the wasted time when doing that but it is a tactic like any other.

now back to trashtalking, well i'm going to be honest and say that some things do offend me, things like, vatborn scum there's also one about testtube babies i cant remember correctly, well there are probably people playing this game that are actual testtube babies. even something simple as die clanner can get on my wick as to me its just another form of racial discrimination, now i know most people don't actually hate and are just roleplaying but still...

just seeing that the first reaction to the original post (which is about ethics mind) was die clanner and its liked by almost 10 people does tell me something.

now for something positive, most of the people we play (with) are pretty decent folks i feel that its only a small percentage of players that feel the need to be this other way, yes there's the whole this team sucks and getting accused of aimbotting (sadly not me personally i'm not nearly that good) part also but i chalk that one up to frustration

so glad I am not the only one that sees some of the comments as being a form of racial hate... I don't like the trashborn comment on my Urbie because of it, but with 3 mg at least it gets covered

#44 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostUminix, on 10 April 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

so glad I am not the only one that sees some of the comments as being a form of racial hate... I don't like the trashborn comment on my Urbie because of it, but with 3 mg at least it gets covered

Please, please continue to compare your persecution at being called "vatborn scum" while in the context of a fictional faction that is literally vatborn to actual racial real-life discrimination that real-life people go through.

Edited by MadWOPR, 10 April 2015 - 07:21 AM.

#45 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:22 AM

And it doesn´t relitivise real racism at all.

#46 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

View PostMadWOPR, on 10 April 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

Please, please continue to compare your persecution at being called "vatborn scum" while in the context of a fictional faction that is literally vatborn to actual racial real-life discrimination that real-life people go through.

Agreed, its just ridiculous to compare stuff like vatborn scum with real racial slurs. That can only come from someone who never had to deal with racist discrimination.

#47 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

View PostMadWOPR, on 10 April 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

MY persecution, how about being non white and having been attacked and nearly hung at a young age by the Klan in the SE USA... How about you realize that no one claimed to be persecuted, we claim that we feel the slurs are distasteful and respectful, or racist if you prefer, why attack my words, and not the words I agree with?

I have been through real hate, and you cannot begin to fathom the pride in myself and family you just brought out.... Have you ever seen a family member in a funk, look at the number on their arm and gett all kinds of hopped up because, and I quote, "F you {Godwin's Law}, I won you Goddamned Bas#$%^"

I know what discrimination, hate, racism, etc all are bro.... I have LIVED through it....

View PostKlappspaten, on 10 April 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

Agreed, its just ridiculous to compare stuff like vatborn scum with real racial slurs. That can only come from someone who never had to deal with racist discrimination.

yep, as I stated above, I NEVER dealt with any of that stuff.......... ;)

#48 Nazar24

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 94 posts
  • LocationItalia

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

just seeing that the first reaction to the original post (which is about ethics mind) was die clanner and its liked by almost 10 people does tell me something.

Nope, that post is about a troll, doing his troll thing.
He is the same guy that in this forum insisted that we should have stopped using the stalker and the thunderbolt because they are subpar mech...now that he say he is from clan wolf i get why.

Edited by Nazar24, 10 April 2015 - 07:33 AM.

#49 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

ITT: People who pick clan faction in fictional video game about eugenics-bred supermen born in vats complain about being insulted in-character by people who pick fictional video game faction about 1980s stereotype Japanese or Nordic culture

#50 Onionbird

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostLawrence Elsa, on 09 April 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

And now the big question is: is that really such a bad thing?

Hear me out:
As someone who grew up playing Battletech and has role-played with Clan Wolf since Mechwarrior 2, I can empathize with the distress of the older Mechwarrior fans that look at the newer players with their idea of gaming being less formal, and they feel like the community that they built is being corrupted and killed. Most of these feelings are due to the fact that Mechwarrior was nowhere near as popular as it was between 2002 to 2009, and If you trash talked the enemy team, then you would return to an empty server with no-one to fight, because you insulted the only 10 people you knew who played MWLL with you.

Does this mean the new community is a bad thing? God no! Mechwarrior has been more alive than it's been since 1994! Gamers these days do have a certain way they play together, and that involves saying things like "Lol, get rekt!", "pwned" and the likes. What does need to happen is a certain understanding from the older players that this isn't their own little club-house and newer people have their own way of playing, and newer players need to understand that this community is full of older and less hostile players since most of them knew each other for years before this game was even under development.

"As someone who roleplays an insane ubermensch born out of a vat who throws a fit at the most minor of insults...."

I'm just putting this out there but your attitude and lack of ability to take a joke probably contributes to the fact that there are very few new Mechwarrior players. You can't live in your treehouse forever.

hmm weird...evidence for my post right in this thread

#51 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:47 AM

View PostMadWOPR, on 10 April 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

Honestly, the turn off all chat option is there for a reason.

Can't shill stream if you turn off all chat dawg.

#52 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostUminix, on 10 April 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

MY persecution, how about being non white and having been attacked and nearly hung at a young age by the Klan in the SE USA... How about you realize that no one claimed to be persecuted, we claim that we feel the slurs are distasteful and respectful, or racist if you prefer, why attack my words, and not the words I agree with?

I have been through real hate, and you cannot begin to fathom the pride in myself and family you just brought out.... Have you ever seen a family member in a funk, look at the number on their arm and gett all kinds of hopped up because, and I quote, "F you {Godwin's Law}, I won you Goddamned Bas#$%^"

I know what discrimination, hate, racism, etc all are bro.... I have LIVED through it....

If you actually dealt with any of this stuff, maybe you'd have the ability to tell how ridiculous it is to call "die clanner" a racial slur. Even if you did deal with it, it doesn't make your stance on clan based trash talk any less ridicuous. It is only because I've read these boards and seen how dumb the community can be that I can even believe that anyone would take this stance ever

I also don't care about your family pride in context of getting mad about "vatborn scum"

Also it seems as if the Ghost Bears need to wash their vats out before growing more clanners, they're getting more defective by the day

Edited by MadWOPR, 10 April 2015 - 07:59 AM.

#53 luigi256

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:00 AM

Generalizing all IS pilots isn't very nice. Some of us don't even play CW and play to enjoy the giant robot stompyness.

#54 Suzumiya Haruhi no Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 413 posts
  • Locationjapan

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hey WolfBoy are you a clanner or what!?

#55 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:51 AM

lol, and apparently the hatred continues, why attack me for agreeing with someone else?

Also, I never said anything about "die clanner" so get off the high horse with me....

Again, start in on the guy I agreed with and qq about what I said to agree with him and I said in DEFENCE of the rude things said to me for the way I think and feel...... better yet.... I am outta this thread, since you all seem to think that its ok just because its in a game, well, I dont want my kids seeing hatemongering anywhere, so you lkeep it up in game all you guys want, but I am not going to lower myself to your hate any longer.... feel any way you do about it, but you cannot harm me with your asinine methods of making others feel bad about themselves, have some honor, truth, courage, hospitality, industriousness, self-reliance, discipline and perseverence in your own lives, live them to the fullest, we will meet in Valhalla in the end... or not if you don't make it

#56 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

now back to trashtalking, well i'm going to be honest and say that some things do offend me, things like, vatborn scum there's also one about testtube babies i cant remember correctly, well there are probably people playing this game that are actual testtube babies. even something simple as die clanner can get on my wick as to me its just another form of racial discrimination

are you an idiot? did you really just claim that saying 'die clanner' is racist? You're a buffoon, a complete embarrassment. Your attempt to conflate playing a game and using roleplay insults with actual institutional racism so you can appropriate their victimhood for yourself is a slap in the face to everyone who has ever actually been discriminated against. **** you *******.

also 'well there are probably people playing this game that are actual test tube babies' so what you're saying is you're so desperate to pretend to be a victim that you're willing to construct elaborate scenarios where people who were born from in-vitro fertilization AND play clans in a not very popular free to place shooting game are somehow offended about people mentioning it, despite no one ever getting made fun of for that irl. Again, you can get ******. unless you are a black test tube baby who actually got beat up at school over the circumstances of your conception then sit down and shut up.

you too. it's not a form of race hate and pretending it is takes away from the seriousness of actual discrimination irl. get a grip. Also the clans canonically love {Godwin's Law} and make their creche babies read mein kampf, so you can get right off your racial high horse.

View PostUminix, on 10 April 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

it's pretty offensive that you'd lie about this.

#57 Weepy Wanebow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

View PostEddison Trend, on 09 April 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

I am not going to go into the process of calling ppl and teams out about what they ve been doing that past few days , cuz i am not that kind of person . I am going to tell you tho guys , that you are not on the right path . Granted not all whom are curently serving in FRR ranks are like that , but for sure the majority are .

okie dokie, thank you for being considerate of others...

View PostEddison Trend, on 09 April 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

So , so far you havent lost more than just me , just a single person , but if you "Sons of Odin" keep this attitude up , totaly forgeting that behind the monitors are normal ppls whom they deserve no hate about just being on the other side , more ppl gonna slip your fingers and join the clans .

HAHAHAHAH you then call out my unit....its good you left the FRR, hypocrisy isn't one of our values/ethics/morals

#58 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

Tumblr white knighting anyone? This thread reaks of it.

Grown adults (well okay, exceptions, but rare ones with who I play with in CW) conflating RL with in-game, in-character, in-setting terms to have something to feel offended about.

Grow. The. Hell. Up.

And while you're at it, get a hefty dose of reality and a thicker skin to the most trivial of commentary imaginable. You're not the only ones out their that play this game, have went through some really, really unpleasant crap and yet -don't- feel the need to finger point and try to smear others by behavioral comparisons to douchebag IRL racists for using in game lore.

Game terms. Game trash talk. Commonly used tactics on both sides (I won't even get into what I ran into with some of Clan Wolf, bit of a reversal from the OP there; I left them and went FRR for some of those reasons). The hypocrisy is going from sad to just... tired. If you think the Clan is doing better in that regard, obviously we've been in very very different circles of experience.

If you're going to broad stroke paint the FRR as by majority pulling horribly bad stuff (yet lack the balls to directly call out names etc.), screenshots, logs etc. Please. Post elsewhere. We can't do a thing to reprimand or improve matters when it's just a generalized, whiny hand wave, but we can certainly band together when it stinks of horseshit.

Sorry to break it to ya, you're going to get the exact same things in the clans, if not worse depending on the unit. If you're going to pretend otherwise, oh boy. Prepare to just be disgusted with CW in general.

tl;dr:
“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ******* what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005]”

Edited by Moebius Pi, 10 April 2015 - 09:14 AM.

#59 Kerc Kasha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:12 AM

I get severely triggered if people even look at me

#60 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

look, if someone actually drops some irl racial slurs or homophobic talk that's one thing, we dont stand for that garbage in NKVA. but if people get called trashborn in game and then say 'wait a minute, that's hurtful to me, an irl piece of trash from a garbage can' then i got no sympathy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users