Urbanmech Leaderboard Event

146 replies to this topic

#21 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

i have to say the group up event looks very good, too with nice rewards. sure this is pay only, but its not the only one this weekend.

#22 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:58 PM

Just to make sure everyone gets it:
There's also an event for people who didn't buy a tr... Urbie!
http://mwomercs.com/...roup-challenge/

#23 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

This would be totally worth me signing up for if there were like only 19 other urbie pilots. That's pretty much the only way I'd get 20th place. Since I'm about an average pilot and there are probably about 500 other urbie pilots I'd probably end up somewhere around 250th place, and there's no prize for that.

#24 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:17 PM

Yes we were a little apprehensive to have an Urbie only event. We did want to do something special for those UrbanMech fans that supported this mech. We hope you enjoy the looking for group event with fun prizes and features a new way to group up and play.

#25 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

Did I even read this right?

This is for BOTH solo and group?

Oh boy.

#26 Connaugh

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 09 April 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

Yes we were a little apprehensive to have an Urbie only event. We did want to do something special for those UrbanMech fans that supported this mech.

You already did "... vs. the world" - several times. Wouldn't have been wrong this time as well. Either way, Urbie-pilots will have a harder time though, as everyone might focus more on them while some team mates might be reluctant to support their own urbies...
Just a thought.

Edited by Connaugh, 09 April 2015 - 01:32 PM.

#27 Pihoqahiak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 359 posts
  • LocationU.S.A., West Coast

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

A pay to play event that rewards premium game currency is a terrible precedent to set, extremely disappointing to see this happen. In addition to that, making group queue games count is just begging for abuse, as people will farm match scores with a unit group damaging enemies , feeding kills and shielding for the one Urbanmech they field in the match. That leads to the winning players very likely not being the best pilots that played, not very "tournament" like I would say. For every step in the right direction PGI seems to make, there is inevitably some poor decision made like this. This sort of thing makes it all the more difficult for the desire of PGI to have MW:O become an E-Sport reach any semblance of fruition.

#28 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

Kintaro 18 on :lol: :lol: They should change the name challenge kill more urbanmech :D :D :D

#29 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

I was excited about this event...
I was gonna be in my urbies all weekend

but.
BOTH solo and group queue?.... no thanks.... 5000 MC is enough incentive for some cheesy group drops.

Edited by Navid A1, 09 April 2015 - 01:46 PM.

#30 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 09 April 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

I was excited about this event...
I was gonna be in my urbies all weekend

but.
BOTH solo and group queue?.... no thanks.... 5000 MC is enough incentive for some cheesy group drops.

Not sure I understand what you're worried about?

I'm a little concerned that gameplay will be a total mess all weekend, with people hunting poor Urbanmechs even more than they usually do, just to make the Urbie Tournament more unpleasant.

As to a "pay 2 play" event.... *shrugs* I don't see this as a serious issue. I wouldn't want to see all or most of the events go pay-to-play, but on the other hand I don't really see any problem with it either. It's just another (very, very small) bonus with buying the pack - you get an Urbie Specific tournament too.

#31 Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

There should bonus for rolling in a stock configuration. :D

#32 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostBrizna, on 09 April 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

Having an event most players can't participate in because they didn't buy a mech pack sucks. I understand MWO runs on money and I have spent my share of money on this game but I never bought a mech pack because I think they are a rip off, now I will spend even less.

Posted Image

My brain hurts.

#33 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

I notice with all the whining about "pay2play" (c'mon, seriously?) that nobody has remarked on the new scoring formula which appears a first glance to be an improvement over the previous formula:

(Solo Kill x 30) + (Kill Most Damage x 20) + (Killing Blow x 10) + ( Kill Assist x 10) + (Win × 10) + (Loss × 5) + (Survive × 10) + (Dead × 5) + ((Damage done - Team Damage) ÷ 15)

See - kills and assists worth the same value, dealing more damage can get you more points, surviving helps but is not mandatory. I think this is a great improvement. Of course, you could view this tournament as a 'Beta Test' of the new formula.

#34 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

While I agree the Urbie purchersers deserve this challenge and it is a decent one, it is also dangerous Pay to Play territory and the group challenge doesn't really compare with the chance to win 5000MC and bragging rights.

Could I suggest you add a Spider-5V leaderboard into the challenge as well to stay F2P friendly.
5V is generally considered the worst mech and is cheap so is appropriate alternative to Slowbie. Would also be interesting to see the outcome of scores, is an Urbie better than the 5V?

#35 Edmar Fecler

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image

#36 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

The "pay-to-play" whiners are mad that they can only play in one of the 2 events this weekend.

Play the free one. Let people who keep the servers online play the other one. And, don't worry, we understand that you are thankful for us being paying players, and we accept your appreciation.

#37 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 09 April 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

The "pay-to-play" whiners are mad that they can only play in one of the 2 events this weekend.

I actually have the Urbie pack, but still disgusted with it regardless.

#38 Argann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

I am happy for this event. Oh well, to others there will be other events.

#39 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 09 April 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

I actually have the Urbie pack, but still disgusted with it regardless.

Why disgusted?

I suppose I'm just missing something, but I don't understand why this is a big deal? I mean, why does it matter if someone can't participate in a particular tournament because they haven't purchased the mech required?

If it where a regular event where everyone gets rewards, sure, that would kind of suck. But this isn't - only the very top ranked people will get anything at all, everyone else just gets to see where they're ranked in the Urbanmech. If one doesn't have an Urbanmech, then one's Urbanmech Rank is hardly relevant, no?

I just... I don't get why this would warrant "Disgusted".

#40 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:01 PM

View Postbar10jim, on 09 April 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

I notice with all the whining about "pay2play" (c'mon, seriously?) that nobody has remarked on the new scoring formula which appears a first glance to be an improvement over the previous formula: (Solo Kill x 30) + (Kill Most Damage x 20) + (Killing Blow x 10) + ( Kill Assist x 10) + (Win × 10) + (Loss × 5) + (Survive × 10) + (Dead × 5) + ((Damage done - Team Damage) ÷ 15) See - kills and assists worth the same value, dealing more damage can get you more points, surviving helps but is not mandatory. I think this is a great improvement. Of course, you could view this tournament as a 'Beta Test' of the new formula.

There is some truth to this. We are interested to assess results and get feedback on the new formula.
We are doing something we have never done before and we acknowledge that. It's not going to be an easy road for those Urbie pilots... It never is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users