Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

thank god i work this weekend, enjoy peeps

#42 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

• (Solo Kill x 30) + (Kill Most Damage x 20) + (Killing Blow x 10) + ( Kill Assist x 10) + (Win × 10) + (Loss × 5) + (Survive × 10) + (Dead × 5) + ((Damage done - Team Damage) ÷ 15)
I don't know if you are aware of this, but getting a solo kill also rewards you with a kill most damage. So while kill-sniping isn't going to reward you, it's still going to come down to preventing others from taking your kills. If I were you, I would remove that solo kill bonus and just leave kill most damage.

Adding these stats is a great improvement, but I suggest a little tweaking either to how the game rewards, or to this formula. I would probably just use "kill most damage" and leave it at that.

Edit: Just in case you don't know what I mean here is an illustration
Posted Image
So if some guy comes in at the last second and does 1 point of damage, I only get 20 points from kill most damage. If I get the kill though I get 50 points (solo kill + kill most damage).

Edited by Jman5, 09 April 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#43 Fat Jack Murphy

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEuropa

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:34 PM

looks like its time those urbinators sort out builds for the months to come.
so if during that event my assault runs out of ammo - can i load an urbie in that gauss ? or just use it as a cudgel ?

before someone screams bloody blue murder regarding my above urbie joke - im still in process of leveling my urbies, with that mechs spec its painfull or mc->GXP conversion, so i dont think im up to par for that event...

#44 fireball 4

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:50 PM

they did this for the urbie thats it. not for p2p

I don't know if you are aware of this, but getting a solo kill also rewards you with a kill most damage. So while kill-sniping isn't going to reward you, it's still going to come down to preventing others from taking your kills. If I were you, I would remove that solo kill bonus and just leave kill most damage.

maybe just (solo kill x 10)

Edited by fireball 4, 09 April 2015 - 04:51 PM.

#45 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:58 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 09 April 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

Why disgusted?

I suppose I'm just missing something, but I don't understand why this is a big deal? I mean, why does it matter if someone can't participate in a particular tournament because they haven't purchased the mech required?

If it where a regular event where everyone gets rewards, sure, that would kind of suck. But this isn't - only the very top ranked people will get anything at all, everyone else just gets to see where they're ranked in the Urbanmech. If one doesn't have an Urbanmech, then one's Urbanmech Rank is hardly relevant, no?

I just... I don't get why this would warrant "Disgusted".

The last mech tourney got me annoyed as there were mechs not released to everyone yet for C-bills (in some cases MC, but my memory is fuzzy). The problem then was "mech accessibility" as that is important to the data gathering process, as there would be flaws otherwise. At the very least, there were other brackets to get into... so there were opportunities.

The one before that sucked... in the sense that Wolverines were not available for C-bills and that the tourney was mostly "fair"... and I did feel bad. Still, there were brackets to participate in and I wished that tourney happened after the Wolverine release (it was like a month or so away at most).

For this event... there's not inclusion. Even if the inclusion was Urbie vs other Lights smaller than it (Spider, Locust, Commando, Mist Lynx, Kitfox) it would be at least an interesting challenge of sorts. This could certainly change like having the sub-250 engine challenge (meaning no Spiders) or just mechs under 30 tons (no Kitfox or Spider) and see how they fare against each other... if not for science.

As long as there was an interesting test/theme to look into the performance of the Urbie compared to "its competition", it would be more inclusive of things that wouldn't limit people to take part in this.

Events that are generally non-inclusive (we're talking solo only, group only, CW only) isn't entirely healthy. Every single time it happens, it promotes a certain section of the population and reinforces a notion that they can't take part in a community event because of what they do or DON'T play.

I don't want solos to think they can't be a factor in a group.. nor that they can't participate in CW w/o massive help. Inclusion requires people to want to play together in order to succeed, as being divided causes more tension between players that don't like participating in a different mode.

Back when we had solo events, it bothered me a lot to not be playing with my teammates outside of a sync drop... that is not what I would consider enjoyable.

So, we come to the point where a tourney is essentially the "haves" participate and that "have nots" have no opportunity to partake in the experience. It's not that complicated to expand the event in such a way that they didn't have to buy an Urbie to experience things. Just adding the Locust, Mist Lynx and Commando would probably not break up the party... but to expand the zone of fun (anything bigger than an Urbie would probably ruin the party, naturally speaking).

That's why this event "disgusts" me. If you want people to play the game more, being inclusive helps out the population. Separating the haves and the have not only serves to reiterate bad themes in this game and while I'd rather not repeat said points, building a healthy community is more important than trying to limit who can participate in certain events. We don't have a large enough playerbase to continue segregating or separating the population further. That's why I'm "disgusted".

#46 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

Time play kill the guy with UR-pes event. :wacko:

#47 Firecrafter

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 28 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

Well, this is going to get interesting really fast.

#48 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 09 April 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

The last mech tourney got me annoyed as there were mechs not released to everyone yet for C-bills (in some cases MC, but my memory is fuzzy). The problem then was "mech accessibility" as that is important to the data gathering process, as there would be flaws otherwise. At the very least, there were other brackets to get into... so there were opportunities.

The one before that sucked... in the sense that Wolverines were not available for C-bills and that the tourney was mostly "fair"... and I did feel bad. Still, there were brackets to participate in and I wished that tourney happened after the Wolverine release (it was like a month or so away at most).

For this event... there's not inclusion. Even if the inclusion was Urbie vs other Lights smaller than it (Spider, Locust, Commando, Mist Lynx, Kitfox) it would be at least an interesting challenge of sorts. This could certainly change like having the sub-250 engine challenge (meaning no Spiders) or just mechs under 30 tons (no Kitfox or Spider) and see how they fare against each other... if not for science.

As long as there was an interesting test/theme to look into the performance of the Urbie compared to "its competition", it would be more inclusive of things that wouldn't limit people to take part in this.

Events that are generally non-inclusive (we're talking solo only, group only, CW only) isn't entirely healthy. Every single time it happens, it promotes a certain section of the population and reinforces a notion that they can't take part in a community event because of what they do or DON'T play.

I don't want solos to think they can't be a factor in a group.. nor that they can't participate in CW w/o massive help. Inclusion requires people to want to play together in order to succeed, as being divided causes more tension between players that don't like participating in a different mode.

Back when we had solo events, it bothered me a lot to not be playing with my teammates outside of a sync drop... that is not what I would consider enjoyable.

So, we come to the point where a tourney is essentially the "haves" participate and that "have nots" have no opportunity to partake in the experience. It's not that complicated to expand the event in such a way that they didn't have to buy an Urbie to experience things. Just adding the Locust, Mist Lynx and Commando would probably not break up the party... but to expand the zone of fun (anything bigger than an Urbie would probably ruin the party, naturally speaking).

That's why this event "disgusts" me. If you want people to play the game more, being inclusive helps out the population. Separating the haves and the have not only serves to reiterate bad themes in this game and while I'd rather not repeat said points, building a healthy community is more important than trying to limit who can participate in certain events. We don't have a large enough playerbase to continue segregating or separating the population further. That's why I'm "disgusted".

Fair enough, I see where you're coming from now.

I'd definitely argue that you can't get good "test data" from a tournament - gameplay in tournaments is never typical gameplay, after all. But that's not really the issue at hand. Personally, I don't see it as a problem with having a tournament like this for just a new product, so long as the bulk of events are fully inclusive. In fact, I think it's a kind of awesome thing to do.

I don't disagree with your idea to include all 30t mechs, or (ideally low-rated engines, or whatever) - I don't think that would hurt it... But fundamentally, I just don't see a problem with restricting direct participation in an event to a newly released specialty mechs. Particularly as those not piloting Urbies are still participating.

Perhaps a middle ground idea would be: Have a second, linked scoreboard, rewarding damage done to Urbies and Urbie Kills, with it's own rewards? I dunno, just spitballing here.

Group vs. Solo challenges sucked, mostly because there was no real reason for that. It's not like Groups where a new feature or anything, or that it was even relevant to any of those challenges.

In this case, it's all about the Urbie. *shrugs*

Ah well. Anyways, I do see where you're coming from now. I just disagree that it's a serious issue.

#49 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:42 PM

Love all the p2p QQ on this event... like this is the first time this has ever occurred. We just had essentially a p2p event last month where hero mechs got a bonus for completing the same task. You have that here with the LFG event. If you LFG with an urbie, great! But you still can get good stuff if you just LFG. I know for some $20 for the base urbie pack may have been hard to justify, but don't act like this is some ludicrous buy-in fee. If memory serves this is about the cheapest pack they've offered in a long time.

Edited by MovinTarget, 09 April 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#50 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:59 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 09 April 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

I'd definitely argue that you can't get good "test data" from a tournament - gameplay in tournaments is never typical gameplay, after all. But that's not really the issue at hand. Personally, I don't see it as a problem with having a tournament like this for just a new product, so long as the bulk of events are fully inclusive. In fact, I think it's a kind of awesome thing to do.

You can get somewhat useful good test data from a tournament. Prior to the "quirkening", a tourney was had and while not all the stats are good or useful, you can find trends.

For instance, you could determine that Vindicators weren't as popular, and likely to not be on par with the other mediums.

While popularity isn't the best mechanic to determine balance, you can kinda gain insight to how a mech is viewed among the population. Something as powerful as the "holy trinity" would be well represented, but you can gain insight to some of the less popular mechs as to builds and usage through an event to achieve the scores that they do.

It's better than the "random solo IS vs Clans" MM attempts as that is very skewed in a testing ground oriented way.

I don't disagree with your idea to include all 30t mechs, or (ideally low-rated engines, or whatever) - I don't think that would hurt it... But fundamentally, I just don't see a problem with restricting direct participation in an event to a newly released specialty mechs. Particularly as those not piloting Urbies are still participating.

There is no benefit to a non-urbie pilot. That's the thing. You can do the other event (the LFG event) WHILE doing the Urbie event... and the Urbie event is actually EXTENDED through group play... so it's not contained to the solo queue which is the usual norm.

Perhaps a middle ground idea would be: Have a second, linked scoreboard, rewarding damage done to Urbies and Urbie Kills, with it's own rewards? I dunno, just spitballing here.

If killing 20 urbies gave me a free Urbie popup cockpit item... I'd be down with that (and all the Urbie haters). If anything, it could spur interest for people to buy the pack that way. Non-participants need some level of involvement even if they aren't getting the MC prizes.

Group vs. Solo challenges sucked, mostly because there was no real reason for that. It's not like Groups where a new feature or anything, or that it was even relevant to any of those challenges.

Well, it kinda was and it wasn't. It could've been made interesting had there been a special prize for being the "most effective lance" or highest scoring lance instead of a "I'll get my prize" attitude because it reflected only on your individual play, even though you were put together in a lance.

In this case, it's all about the Urbie. *shrugs*

Ah well. Anyways, I do see where you're coming from now. I just disagree that it's a serious issue.

TBH, many people complain about tournies due to the effects on the queues (primarily solo, but those players wouldn't be affecting the group queue, which indirectly affects quality of play). If you even remotely remember the "tourney forum" that got eventually killed and consolidated, you'll understand that you want people to play ultimately and ensure that everyone has a chance to enjoy themselves instead of feeling like they should avoid the game. That's why people have been very critical of PGI when it comes to some of these events. It shouldn't "feel like work"... it should "feel effortless" regardless of how the rewards stack up.

I swear the Adder event really tried my patience with the game. That was a grind of sorts that I'd wish not be contained in a 3 (or was it 4) day splurge. It serves to drive certain people crazy. Had it been like a week long event... then it would be easier to enjoy whenever people had the free time to play.

It's the little things that can make a tourney/event be fun, or just a complete drag that reduces the want to play the game. Some of these things just need to be mindful for everyone.. that's all I'm asking here.

#51 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 09 April 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

TBH, many people complain about tournies due to the effects on the queues (primarily solo, but those players wouldn't be affecting the group queue, which indirectly affects quality of play). If you even remotely remember the "tourney forum" that got eventually killed and consolidated, you'll understand that you want people to play ultimately and ensure that everyone has a chance to enjoy themselves instead of feeling like they should avoid the game. That's why people have been very critical of PGI when it comes to some of these events. It shouldn't "feel like work"... it should "feel effortless" regardless of how the rewards stack up.

I swear the Adder event really tried my patience with the game. That was a grind of sorts that I'd wish not be contained in a 3 (or was it 4) day splurge. It serves to drive certain people crazy. Had it been like a week long event... then it would be easier to enjoy whenever people had the free time to play.

It's the little things that can make a tourney/event be fun, or just a complete drag that reduces the want to play the game. Some of these things just need to be mindful for everyone.. that's all I'm asking here.

No argument here. In fact, I've traditionally not played during most tournaments because I find they have an extremely adverse effect on game play coupled with a total lack of rewards unless you're in the top couple of thousands of players (I'll never be there, mostly because I don't care enough to work that hard at it).

But... *shrugs* I just don't really think everything needs to be for everyone is all. Tournaments SHOULD be fun for those that participate, though, and that's something that's only happened in the last couple of normal events but hasn't really ever happened in the tournaments.

I suppose that's the thing, for me.

Regular events should be for everyone, absolutely, and they should be fun all the way through and not just a horrendous grind to get to the prize. The last couple events where great this way.

Tournaments, though? I actually really like the idea of tournaments being very specific; be it just one mech, or whatever else. I think it's a fine idea to have the odd one just for specific things, to highlight them. It certainly doesn't bother me when there are tournaments that I either don't wish to participate in, or can not participate in for whatever reason. I don't assume nor expect that everything PGI does is for me too. I'll accept that my opinion could well just be a bad one here, or one not shared by others.

I suppose this is because I really separate Tournaments and Events. Events should be all inclusive, but tournaments by their nature should be more specific. Events should reward participation, while Tournaments are generally only going to reward success.

But, to each their own.

#52 Gemini Bull

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 203 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRegina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:13 PM

im just plain happy for this event. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

#53 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

I opted in, probably have no chance of winning, but definitely think there should be something in terms of reward for non urbi pilots, I like the "kill 10 Urbies and get 'X' cockpit item" idea

#54 Kirtanus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 156 posts
  • LocationRDL

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:17 PM

Like this new formula much more! Beware of my little urbie this weekend!

#55 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:26 AM

I opted in also, don't expect to win much but if I can get my urbies up on the score board that will be good enough.

#56 Taffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:34 AM

Afraid I don't stand a chance, but I'll play.

#57 Xione87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:52 AM

So a weekend event in which I cannot participate because I didn't feel like spending real money on this particular mech on the same weekend where my current premium time runs out?

Guess I'm playing Divinity: Original Sin or something else from my 'to play' list this weekend :D

#58 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:29 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 09 April 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

There is some truth to this. We are interested to assess results and get feedback on the new formula.
We are doing something we have never done before and we acknowledge that. It's not going to be an easy road for those Urbie pilots... It never is.

Pff, EZ mode are for cry babys and guys wanting more nerf for Clans mech.

We UrbanMech pilot are true mechwarriors!

TIME TO TAKE OUT THE TRASH!

#59 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:23 AM

View PostXione87, on 10 April 2015 - 01:52 AM, said:

So a weekend event in which I cannot participate because I didn't feel like spending real money on this particular mech on the same weekend where my current premium time runs out?

Guess I'm playing Divinity: Original Sin or something else from my 'to play' list this weekend :D
Pillars of Eternity. That game is freaking awesome. Really, really good.

#60 Xione87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:37 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 10 April 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

Pillars of Eternity. That game is freaking awesome. Really, really good.

So I heard, it's on my wishlist but I don't own it yet. As opposed to Divinity which I own but never got around to playing. I also still have to finish Dark Souls (damn Ornstein & Smough...) and I have a dozen more unplayed games before The Witcher 3 comes out in May.

Also; yesterday a new Deus Ex was announced, it instantly went to the top of my wishlist. Maybe I should replay Deus Ex 1 and/or Human Revolution again for the... 5th or 6th time I guess :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users