50 replies to this topic

#21 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

by fare my favorite ballistic mech black jack BJ-1(C) not fast 72 kph but packs a punch and look at all that ammo 28 rounds I have it module with range 5 med lasers and cool down 5 AC 20 and when I master it il have an extra 5% faster firing all so at 50% = 847 MC cant bet it !!!!

Posted Image

Edited by dr lao, 29 April 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#22 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:42 AM

I love the UAC 5, it's awesome, and I use it currently on a lot of my mechs. You just have to deal with the jamming.

#23 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

Difficult to pick. They all have their place. I vote for the AC/20 though.....very satisfying crunch. UAC/5 is pretty fun too so that probably gets 2nd place for me.

#24 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

For me it depends on the weight of the mech. Mediums and slower heavies I prefer the AC10 due to a good combination of punch, number of shots per tonne, reasonable range and running cool. For fast heavies and some assaults the AC20 is brilliant due to the brutality of it. On slower assaults the AC5/UAC5 shines because they can afford the face time required to make it worth it whereas mediums can't either carry enough or spend enough time facing down the enemy.

Oh, and the AC2 is only useful as an intimidation tool. Sometimes the suggestion of violence is as useful as actual violence

Edited by Inveramsay, 01 May 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#25 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

Any one not pointed at my face!

#26 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:51 AM

my WANG says AC/20 all the way. That baby delivers awsome damage on the point!

i love it !

#27 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:24 AM

View PostPeanuckle, on 09 April 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

So I'm poking around with my mech, checking out different weapon loadouts, and I'm not too sure what I want to put in the ballistics slot. The AC weapons seem to improve in damage per ton as you increase in rating: An AC10 does 10 damage and weighs less than two AC5. But it also fires more slowly and has less range.

What would you say is the optimal AC? Is it worth the extra space to use two AC5 and chain-fire them? Should I strip everything down and slap an AC20 in there and pray I don't catch a facefull of gauss? Is running around with a bunch of AC2 only good for a laugh?

It really comes down to the role you want to play.

AC 2: Skirmisher, harasser, and suppression (insanely high rate of fire
AC5: Stand off mech, close in combatant, and medium-long range fire fights
AC 10: Medium-long range fire fights, close in combatant, and high burst damage
AC 20: Short range brawler, burst killer, and bruiser builds.

MGs: Crit seeker/vulture, Satellite, and harasser builds.

#28 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:28 PM

I have only just returned to playing after a long absence but I love the clan UACs.

#29 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

Best ballistics in game:
IS:
ac20, uac5, gauss

CLAN:
uac5, gauss

#30 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

C-UAC5 strikes me as pretty trash tbh. I much prefer the LBX-20. It may not be quite as pinpoint as the IS AC20, but it's good enough up close and can saw open components off at range with minimal aim, facetime, and ammo expenditure.

#31 K1ttykat

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:06 AM

The best ACs are the IS UAC5, gauss, and AC20
On the clan side its UAC5 and UAC10.

UAC5 can deliver crushing bursts of damage at the risk of jamming. Jams are not a big issue because you can always just step into cover.

No weapon can deal as much damage to a single component as an ac20 and since that's the name of the game, the ac20 is always a good choice.

Gauss gives you 3/4 of an ac20 at no heat coat and much longer range. The charge up gives you plenty of time to fire and is a non-issue most of the time (except on peeking lights at long distance). Its almost everything you want in one package.

The cUAC5 isn't as good as the IS uac5 but it's close. The range and velocity of the UAC10 make it more useful than a UAC20 and gives you a bit more firepower than a UAC5. The other advantage the uac10 has is you can fire more that one with no ghost heat, unlike the uac20.

The is LBX10 is pretty bad but it can be fun an a cent with the quirks or if you stack 2 or 3 of them (soon to be 4 on the mauler)

The clan LBX are complete trash, especially the lbx5. You could be using UACs for 1 slot less.

The ac2 is trash because of its heat, low alpha, required exposure time, etc. Sadly, Paul thinks its fine so the ac2 will likely remain in the trash bin.

The ac10 has a bit more range and velocity than the AC20 but at half the alpha, its better to just go for the 20.

The ac5 is okay when you have quirks but suffers from not being a uac5. The ac5 can be a good choice when restricted by slots.

I like the UAC20 but sadly the long duration and slow projectile velocity make it difficult to get on target. There's hope for this weapon.

#32 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

View PostShalune, on 28 April 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

IS AC/10: a very nice gun but too similar to AC/20 and Gauss in weight to justify without heavy quirks

AC10 has higher Range than cqc AC20 with 270 meters. This can make a significant difference. AC10 is also faster and has no charge time like the Gauss which also can be advantageous at times. I like AC10's as a secondary weapon to Laser or Missile Arrays supplying them with nice Pinpoint Damage.

I think the AC10 is a bad main weapon, tho. Crab can kinda do it, but only with some missile/energy backup. Even then other AC's perform better.

AC2 can be absolutely killer when boated. My Victor with 3xAC2's performed quite nicely and my Enforcer with 2xAC2+LPL surprised me with his results. I think the AC2 comes into dire straits against the heaviest Assaults but can be quite the threat to anthing below that, especially if already stripped of armor. Also 3-4 AC2's have that special Scarface "You'll never catch me alive" feeling *_*

AC5 are nice in a battery of 2+ and there are many mechs with heavy quirks for it. Nice weapon all in all.

AC20 is the ultimate Pinpoint Damage(imo, but I'm bad with Gauss') but the low range can be troublesome on slower mechs.

LBX only when quirked, then it can be a pretty nice weapon(CN9-D).

(Only IS)

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 14 May 2015 - 07:30 AM.

#33 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

Has to be the AC20 for me. Get in nice and close then hit them for six. You have to use mobility and cover to get yourself to the point where you can use it but when you're there you can really dish out damage. I don't use ballistic weapons very much (I tend to prefer pulse lasers) but I'm really enjoying running my AC20 Hunchback at the moment. I usually aim to engage light and medium mechs as a couple of well placed AC20 shots can be absolutly devestating.

The main problem with the AC20, IMHO, is weight. It's heavy and then requires several tons of ammo on top of this. Basically it usually ends up being your primary weapon and, as it's your primary weapon, you also need it to keep firing as long as possible (so investing in plenty of ammo and protecting the area of the mech that it's located in). On the other hand though it's so worth having when you catch a circle strafing light mech in the back.

#34 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 14 May 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

LBX only when quirked, then it can be a pretty nice weapon(CN9-D).

I generally like the LBX, but I primarily use it on the CN9-D and the cooldown quirk really is a game changer for it.

#35 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:55 AM

What would be best for mounting two of onto a Mad Dog C as far as the /20 cannons goes? AC, UAC or LB-X? (obviously not a serious build, just two autocannons, max armour and as much ammo as I can fit in the remaining tonnage and space)
On a related note, what are the differences between the three types?

#36 K1ttykat

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:17 AM

View PostFreebirthToad18999, on 26 May 2015 - 04:55 AM, said:

What would be best for mounting two of onto a Mad Dog C as far as the /20 cannons goes? AC, UAC or LB-X? (obviously not a serious build, just two autocannons, max armour and as much ammo as I can fit in the remaining tonnage and space)
On a related note, what are the differences between the three types?

firstly, you can't fit enough ammo with two 20 class autocannons or gauss (same weight) on a maddog. Clan AC is 100% completely useless as it weighs the same as the UAC, takes an extra slot, and still burst fires like the UAC but without double tap. The LBX is like a mech shotgun, which sounds cool but is disappointing. The spread is really wide so you need to get super close which makes you vulnerable. The LBX is at least more useful than the AC, it deals damage instantly so in theory you can torso twist with it (in practice you're at such close range that you still take heaps of damage in return).

UAC fires a burst of shells each click with the option to fire one more time during the cooldown with a chance to jam. 95% of the time, the UAC is the best choice for clans if you're not just going with a gauss

Edited by K1ttykat, 26 May 2015 - 06:37 AM.

#37 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:26 AM

View PostK1ttykat, on 26 May 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

firstly, you can't fit enough ammo with two 20 class autocannons or gauss (same weight) on a maddog. Clan AC is 100% completely useless as it weighs the same as the UAC, takes an extra slot, and still burst fires like the UAC but without double tap. The LBX is like a mech shotgun, which sounds cool but is disappointing. The spread is really wide so you need to get super close which puts makes you vulnerable. The LBX is at least more useful than the AC, it deals damage instantly so in theory you can torso twist with it (in practice you're at such close range that you still take heaps of damage in return).

UAC fires a burst of shells each click with the option to fire one more time during the cooldown with a chance to jam. 95% of the time, the UAC is the best choice for clans if you're not just going with a gauss

Cheers! UAC it is

#38 SkyHawkOne

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:03 PM

With any choice of weapon, what is MOST important is your aim.

I have worked hard to improve my aim and with my 3 AC2s, I do great most of the time. My last game, 137 Match score, 2 kills, 7 Assist and 857 damage. I have broken 1K in damage 2 times..

Most games I do 2-3 kills, and over 500 damage.

My new tactic is to focus fire on legs, in 5-10 secs, I can do some heavy damage on someone legs. They tend to back off.

This configuration, is not without limitations. One on one, close range, I almost always die(I dont have a lot of punch), unless I am a better player. But around 500 meters, and with them focus on something else, or I am behind them, I do great. So it is HOW you use your weapon of choice.

I also run a dual AC5, I dont do as well, but it is just as fun.

I would like to thank everyone for their insights into ACs....

#39 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

For IS, AC5, UAC5, AC20, or gauss (or multiples of these), everything else is garbage. For Clan, all ACs are garbage (except gauss).

#40 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

Clan LB5-X is underrated.

3 1.67 damage projectiles from AC or UAC that hit consecutively or 5 1 damage projectiles hitting at the same time?

The Clan LB5-X actually has the same DPS as the Clan ULTRA AC-5, except it never jams. The projectiles also travel faster. It has a greater max range, and the spread is quite small. Adding the cooldown module it's even better, not to mention it has the crit boost.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users