14 replies to this topic

#1 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:18 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c74d7a5497db641

I came up with this monster 3M yesterday and put the engine in today, still finishing up the elite bracket but it's already pretty deadly without modules or the bonus bit of heat management.

Sits at 1.19 heat rating which would be far more manageable in CW than in the pug drops I've been taking it, firing the 2 LL then 6 MPL back and forth gets you 3 full cycles + 1 set of LL before a shut down if you don't pause if my memory serves me correctly. I'm sure far more if you 3 group it or do chain fire.

54 damage laser vomit rounds that are predominantly pulse - get that on anything's ct or side torsos and you are going to dictate where they move, with the speed to make sure they go there or put them down. I've had a lot of luck imposing my will on other slower assaults with it so far, also those silly lights that like to jump and dangle their legs right in front of your sights.

Higher mounted MPL than the 5ss with a little less range but slightly more speed, and if you have 3 triggers you can separate out those MPL to L/R for less heat loss while poking and a little more management. I keep em linked because it simply shreds face, but its an option if you have a better mouse than I do.

People will call out the XL I'm sure, but I've found that you are either going to get ct or headshot most of the time against good pilots long before your side torso's are even a thought, so mobility speed wins out for me with this mech.

Less armor than the 4N you'd probably normally use, same heat efficiency and its a mad brawler that in a pack will give the 5ss a run for its money. Before this conversion I was running it with a standard and 8 MPL which was pretty terrifying on its own, the LL gives it some range but could be dropped all MPL for BAP and AMS or a missile launcher with more leg armor to protect your ammo.

Anyway, super fierce and fun I bet some of you guys would really enjoy it. Have fun if you try it out!

Edited by sycocys, 09 April 2015 - 08:20 PM.

#2 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:32 PM

If you are feeling really ballsy you could drop a couple DHS and some left arm armor, go all MPL then add BAP, Command Console, and and SRM6 with 1.5-2 tons of ammo for a 60.9 Alpha shot.

I'd go with the SRM4 and less ammo more DHS because the 6 spreads so much, but the additional screen shake is always a nice gift. XD

Not really sure a command console would be necessary or even super useful other than I think its best features are faster info acquisition and a bit more range on that BAP.

#3 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:15 PM

Wow, nice firepower. Not sure I'd run this particular build because its a bit close range for my liking. In a TDR I'll face hug them with MPL, not so much in a BLR. I may give it a try one day though.

I think my main objection is that I don't like brawling in my XL Battlemaster. I've been running a Large pulse build long time in my 1G(P) (pre-quirks) and have had great success with ridge humping and peeking, only getting in to fights sub-400m if I have to. In fact its my most-played mech and very consistent on the scoreboard.

#4 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:36 PM

Yeah, as a big BLR fan, I wouldn't take it to brawl. Tends to be a 400-500m or less chassis, to me. It is a fire-support mech.

Now a brawler, I'd take some heavy/medium with JJ and high alpha. I've done so much more work in an XL 60-ton like the QKD-4H than any assault brawler I tried. Assaults are imposing yes, but outside of certain builds (King Crab with 2AC20 comes to mind), I maintain that smaller chassis are for brawling specifically. Assaults are for shields while the brawlers get into position, and for fire-support the entire time.

#5 LordSkyKnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 194 posts
  • LocationPLACES!!!

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:00 PM

I kinda like that build idea, altough here's how I'd probably do it: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ed3881e5cd23ff8

You're still doing over 70, which is fast for an assault, and you have the survivability of the standard engine. you also lose out on 1 DHS, which isn't a huge deal. Still massive pinpoint alpha and a bit of midrange poke with the larges.

#6 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:34 PM

View PostLordSkyKnight, on 09 April 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

I kinda like that build idea, altough here's how I'd probably do it: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ed3881e5cd23ff8

You're still doing over 70, which is fast for an assault, and you have the survivability of the standard engine. you also lose out on 1 DHS, which isn't a huge deal. Still massive pinpoint alpha and a bit of midrange poke with the larges.

I would love to try that build you've posted. That'd be phenomenal! Damn shame I can't get a nice trade-in for my upgraded BLR-1S :(

#7 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:01 AM

I prefer the BLR-1G witch has -10% energy heat generation with another -10% for medium lasers. And with -10.00 % laser duration Medium Lasers are already pretty sweet.
I run
3xLPL 4xML UAC5 XL350
or
2xLPL 5xML UAC5 XL375
or
3xLPL 4xML XL400

Some say that UAC5 on a BLR is a waste. But once you load up on lasers and heatsinks you reach a certain DPS limit and the only way to increase it is to add a ballistic weapon.

Because Assault mechs need DPS in case some medium or heavy brawler decides to face-hug you.

Edited by Kmieciu, 10 April 2015 - 12:06 AM.

#8 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:56 AM

I've honestly had no problems brawling with it in a very similar manner as I use my HBK's. Take a good angle of approach and launch in/turn (using the mostly useless left arm as a shield initially) and load their face with the full force of your DPS cycling right as their's is ending. By the time they are ready to fire again you should be moved well out of their initial line of attack because you have the speed to do so.

It takes a non-assault approach to play it this way, but realistically the Battlemaster isn't really much of an assault mech, more of a heavy - heavy.

---
My 1G is xl360, 7 MPL and LBX10, pretty equally brutal running it in a very similar fashion.

Also here in FRR we only face Clanners so at the most the only things that are going to approach you to brawl are Crows and Ferrets, and the amount of DPS you can vomit into their torso's won't have them sticking in that position until they heat up.

#9 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:32 AM

I think I'll stick with my Wubmaster. It has higher dps due to better cooling and higher heat cap. Also as a nice bonus all the lasers are pulse and therefore your damage doesn't spread as much.

#10 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:28 AM

View PostVompoVompatti, on 13 April 2015 - 02:32 AM, said:

I think I'll stick with my Wubmaster. It has higher dps due to better cooling and higher heat cap. Also as a nice bonus all the lasers are pulse and therefore your damage doesn't spread as much.

The LBX-10 has barely any spread out to 250m, effectively makes it a more effective ac10.

Although it has some range issues (if you don't like setting up closer brawl situations), I've switched my 3M to the 8 MPL, BAP, Command Console rigging and find it to be much more effective. CC seems like a waste on the face, but that target info acquisition bonus of 43% is pretty wicked for making sure your pulses are shredding weak points.

Nearly maxed leg armor which leads me to believe that PGI has some sort of conversion that affects the overall armor when you run something too low on armor because now my torsos seem to hold up far better with no changes to them.

#11 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cc389517f2e7f6e

The 84.7 alpha Hellslinger I've been playing around with. Warning runs very hot.

#12 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

Hahahah - I went for unconventional on mine:

2 big shield arms:

BLR-3M
2LPLs, 4MPLs - LOADS more armor on the legs. Seriously, you get artied once in that thing, and you'll be lucky if they aren't critted out.

For giggles, here's my Slinger build:

HELLSLINGER
2ERLL, 2LPLs, 2 Flamers. It's funny how effective those two flamers are against hot-running Clan mechs.

#13 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

Once I switch the 3M to the BAP/CC combo the leg armor came up, and perhaps coincidentally the ct armor seemed to go up to what it actually was as well.

#14 Texas Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just started on the B'Masters and this is the one I use. Its fast, tankish and fun.

E: I don't use this in CW though as it lacks range for most of the maps.

Edited by Texas Merc, 22 April 2015 - 09:55 AM.

#15 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

That's plenty of range for CW. Its model/hitboxes would me more of my concern.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users