30 replies to this topic

#1 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

Good News!

The Oculus Rift DK2 support continues to improve! The Vorpx 7.5 version made perfect head tracking with 1080p resolution work - without having to aim with your head or tweak with weird resolution/format adjustments (had to do a lot of work before).

The new Vorpx version 8.0 works great both in standard view using some adjustments or the new 3D theater mode which lets you see the whole view without any adjustments - though I would recommend maximum curvature with max zoom in that mode. It is a delight to play

No reason to hold off getting an Oculus if you were on the fence...it is not full stereoscopic 3D in this mode, but you really won't notice...it is still 3D.

TriDef still has the best stereoscopic 3D, but I can't get any headtracking with the DK2 yet...if any of you know a way to get it working - let me know.

See you in VR!

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:25 PM

i dont want to hop on the oculus bandwagon until they get it to retail and have attained far reaching game support.

#3 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

Post a video man

Posted Image

#4 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:34 PM

:) will post a video when I figure out how to record it without shooting it through one eyecup - the DK2 is finicky about cloning the screen, which was easy on the DK1.

I have to say though that I have played 100's of hours using the Vorpx drivers (7.5 & 8) and can't imagine playing any other way now..(until it has native support of course).I am split as to whether I prefer the 3D cinema mode or adjusting the pixel/widescreen modes - either way is a blast, but the 3D cinema mode is an easier fit for the menu screens.

Both modes will still track your torso to where you look, but thankfully the mouse/joystick is able to move free of the head tracking now- so you can aim independent of the head tracking (the biggest setback before).

If you want to know my settings - let me know...

Oh, and if you want to enjoy some of the coolest 3D third person games using "3D cinema" mode, you will love "Darksiders", "Tomb Raider 2014", and "Mass Effect 2" (really digging Darksiders) :D

#5 zeta44

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

Oculus rift with mechwarrior.......

That would be awesome....

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:18 PM

One of my friends has a Oculus DK2 and I have tried it, it gives me the same eyestrain headaches as "3D" cinema (if you get those but your friends want the 3D showings search for 2D glasses), but faster and I can make out the individual pixels, I will not be getting one of those unless/until those issues are fixed.

the effect is impressive, I just cannot use it in its current state for more than 15 minutes without headaches.

#7 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:51 PM

View PostCreszZ, on 10 April 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

Good News!

The Oculus Rift DK2 support continues to improve! The Vorpx 7.5 version made perfect head tracking with 1080p resolution work - without having to aim with your head or tweak with weird resolution/format adjustments (had to do a lot of work before).

The new Vorpx version 8.0 works great both in standard view using some adjustments or the new 3D theater mode which lets you see the whole view without any adjustments - though I would recommend maximum curvature with max zoom in that mode. It is a delight to play

No reason to hold off getting an Oculus if you were on the fence...it is not full stereoscopic 3D in this mode, but you really won't notice...it is still 3D.

TriDef still has the best stereoscopic 3D, but I can't get any headtracking with the DK2 yet...if any of you know a way to get it working - let me know.

See you in VR!

Does it make you motion sick? Having to puke into a bucket every few minutes kills VR for me

#8 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:34 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 20 April 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

Does it make you motion sick? Having to puke into a bucket every few minutes kills VR for me

Oculus has fixed this. Every set of Oculus glasses comes with a pre-attached bucket. No need to stop and take of the glasses any more.

#9 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

The DK2 has come a long way towards eliminating the motion sickness problem...I am one of the lucky ones I guess that never had a problem with the DK1 either, though it did give me a headache to play too long and the resolution was no good for anything other than brawling - the lamest thing was being forced to aim with your head though.

All those issues are resolved now, but it is still going to need the resolution upgraded to super HD/Retina display quality to really see it's full potential...that said - it's pretty !@#$%ing Awseome!!

#10 masCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 407 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:38 AM

So when you move your head, does the mech's arms/torso move or does the pilot's head move?

#11 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:31 PM

The head and torso move, but you can use your mouse at the same time...so for example you can just look forward and aim with the mouse like you normally would or fine tune your aim by following the target with your head and using the mouse to adjust - it works really well, not like it used to where you were forced to aim with your head or how you did using TriDef (last time I played with it). I haven't used TriDef in a while because the head tracking didn't work with the DK2 for me...

Vorpx is working great for me now, but really can't wait for native support - hope it happens!

#12 Rebel Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:32 AM

CreszZ I've been following you for a while now reguarding oculus Rift.
I've got my DK2 arriving in the morning. If you could offer any help on how to get it working with Mechwarrior Id be very greatful.

what programs settings would i need? Many thanks.

Rebel

#13 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

It works best with "VorpX" which you have to buy but enables you to play pretty much every game that uses DirectX 9.0 or above -with headtracking and full 1080p.

First turn on the VorpX driver and when you start MWO move your Oculus around and you should see the load screen start displaying the headtracking right when the log on screen appears...if it doesn't back out and restart MWO - it sometimes takes a few tries but usually enables right when it asks for your log in info.

Once your in VR use the VorpX settings screen to choose your display setup to your liking - you can really tweak a lot here but the easiest is to either pick the virtual cinema mode which gives you a wide view and mimics playing in front of a giant screen or to choose "widescreen 2" (it might be called something else like cinema 2 or something) either one of which is very playable without tweaking anything else. However, if your willing to experiment with all the options, you will be rewarded with a pixel 1.1 display that is really cool but takes a lot of work. (I am on vacation in Hawaii right now but will post my VR settings when I get back...didn't bring the Oculus with me)

You can download TriDef for a free trial and give it a go...works great with the DK1 but I can't get the headtracking to work with the DK2 - the 3D is great though if you dial it in.

Another free option is to download "Virtual Desktop"from the developer share section of Oculusvr.com and play it on the Big screen - it doesn't track but is surprisingly fun and playable that way. If you haven't created a developer account with oculusvr.com yet, do it right away - there are a ton of free demos there and all the drivers and updates you need.

I know it sound like I'm pushing "VorpX' - but it really does work the best until Piranha gives us native support (hope hope!).

#14 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:18 PM

I need to offer you some general Oculus setup tips...they don't really give you a lot of instructions with the kit. The very first thing you need to do is create an account on Oculusvr.com and download the latest "Oculus runtime" and SDK, you can download Unity here and the Unity demo also.

After you download these you need to restart your computer to enable the "Runtime" and "Configuration Utility" - if you downloaded the Unity demo you should be able to start it in "direct to rift" mode to see everything working but to use it with VorpX and MWO along with the vast majority of other software you will need to set the Rift to Extended mode in the Configuration Utility then go to your computers' video display setup.

From there go to "setup multiple displays" and make sure the Rift is set for "portrait orientation" at 1080p native and at 75hz - if it is, fire up "VorpX" and MWO and make sure that the video is set for 1920x1080 on MWO and you should be golden!

If the Dispay is sideways you need to change the orientation to "Portrait"...if MWO is playing on your monitor instead of your Rift - you will need to go back to "setup multiple displays" and change the primary monitor (I have the Rift set as my primary, but depending on your rig you may need to make your monitor the primary instead). Don't clone the display...you should have one monitor set as primary and the other extended.

Once you get this working it will work on any game supported by VorpX and should still allow you to play "direct to rift" games also. With this setup working you should be good to go...

If you don't want to invest in "VorpX" you can still have fun with MWO using "TriDef" or "Virtual Desktop" without headtracking.

The coolest VR native games are available on "Steam" and you just need to download "SteamVR" from the "Tools tab"

All the Half Life games are VR native without needing any other drivers, as is "Alien Isolation", the "Portal" games, "Arstetto Corsa", "Strike Suit Zero", and "Zero Point" among others...

If you DO get Vorpx, you can access all your Steam games from the "Steam VR" interface - I am particularly fond of "Skyrim" and "Darksiders" in VR...

#15 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:54 PM

Some great demos/games to download from the "Oculus Share" area in no particular order:

1) Welcome to the Oculus
2) New Retro Arcade
3)Dumpy - going Elephants
4)Ocean Rift
5)Titans of Space
6)Star Wars (the battle of Endor)
7)Kira
8)Kite & amp; Senza Peso
9)Air Drift
10)SightLine - the Chair

----all free

#16 Rebel Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

Got it working using vorpx. cant read the log in screen or any menu. think it needs tweeking a lot.

But looks great in game.

#17 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:06 PM

Awesome! try using the virtual cinema mode with maximum curvature and zoom....you can read all the menus in the Mech lab and in Faction play by moving your head a little.

Once your good with those settings you can use the advanced VorpX controls (make sure they are enabled in the VorpX configuration settings) in game to get them how you like them best. I use the Pixel 1.1 setting and have the screen tuned to where I see the map and HUD inside the Mech in game and can see the Mech Lab and Faction screens well enough to be usable.

The default setting is too zoomed in to be usable in the Mech Lab.

I found the best way to tweak the settings is to launch a Training Grounds session in Canyon Network and experiment with the settings there - then you can go back and forth to the menu/mech lab screen to see how it looks and repeat the process till your dialed in...it gets pretty darn good and is rewarding once you've got it set up to your liking - thank goodness VorpX saves your settings if you enable the option...

Happy Hunting!

P.S. - If you like roller coasters, get yourself a fast Mech with jump jets in VR - it's a blast!!

#18 Rebel Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:49 AM

Every time i try to run vorpx tonight and then run mwo i get an error saying it cant find my rift. Can't understand why

#19 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

The first thing to do is make sure the Rift is plugged in everywhere and working on other stuff - but the most common cause other than that is when you turn off your Rift or it goes in to "Rift Saver" mode while VorpX is active and the driver doesn't see it so VorpX disables...the best thing to do is to turn off VorpX (which you should always do when your not using the Rift for the above reason) and turn on the Rift without it - making sure it runs a demo or other native game ok.

Next, activate VorpX and then MWO and it should be fine...if not, go to the Oculus configuration utility with VorpX turned off and hit the tab that says "disable/suspend oculus runtime utility" and after a few seconds enable it and that should fix it. Then go ahead and activate VorpX followed by MWO.

When in doubt, run a native program or demo (I usually start Half Life 2 with Steam VR) just to see if the Oculus is working and all the connectors are in place...another embarrassing thing that can happen is that you accidentally turn off the Oculus with the button on the top right of the headset - done that a few times myself (the Oculus should have the blue LED lit on the top of the headset - if it's amber, it's either turned off, disconnected, or doesn't have a program running in VR) .

Hope this helps....

#20 Rebel Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

Turns out the latest Runtime is bodged. And a few others are having problems with it. Installed an archived runtime and so far last night it was working ok.

Still got a lot oftweeking to do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users