30 replies to this topic

#21 masCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 407 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:03 AM

Have you guys tried the Vox Machinae demo with DK2?

I was like.. whao! Immediately thought about MWO but :o :unsure: :angry:

#22 2RC4U

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

I just tried my oculus running 0.8 runtime and Vorpx and i must say it made the game heaps more immersive was holding left ctrl to free move my head and typically shift to do arms it gives really good arm control for the headset follows the circle, aslo had FoV 120. I hope PGI get behind VR awesome stuff.

#23 Deadead

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

hate to resurrect stuff but this seems the best place for it.

i am considering getting the samsung gear VR, since i already own a samsung smartphone.

alternatively, considering making a pair of goggles and using google cardboard.

is there a way to make either of these options work for playing MWO as you described above with the Oculus? it sounds like an interesting experience. And would it be worth the effort/cost to do in your opinions

#24 Ravewolf

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

View PostDeadead, on 13 December 2015 - 06:42 PM, said:

hate to resurrect stuff but this seems the best place for it.

i am considering getting the samsung gear VR, since i already own a samsung smartphone.

alternatively, considering making a pair of goggles and using google cardboard.

is there a way to make either of these options work for playing MWO as you described above with the Oculus? it sounds like an interesting experience. And would it be worth the effort/cost to do in your opinions

I don't think that the GearVR or cardboard options have any way at all to link up to the MWO game. I have heard of some people getting the Oculus DK2 to work with it somehow, but am not entirely clear on how it works. I have VorpX, but no luck with MWO so far for me. I suspect that some people may have used an earlier version of the developer's SDK that supported the Oculus as second monitor to work with it, but the latest SDK doesn't have built-in support for that anymore.

Reportedly, the experience was mixed at best anyway though, from what I have heard. Some sense of distance and depth was added to maps, which could be helpful for aiming shots at times. But MWO was not built for VR from the ground up, which may make the usefulness of headset implementation with it limited. Purpose built stuff like Vox Machinae may be better for VR mech experiences.

#25 Razorfire

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:07 PM

Could you walk me through setting up and getting Oculus Rift DK2 .8 with Vorpx to run with MWO. For the life of me, I can't figure it out. It simply wont attach itself to the MWO Client. Help would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to give this a try.

#26 Linus

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:23 AM

View PostRazorfire, on 25 December 2015 - 10:07 PM, said:

Could you walk me through setting up and getting Oculus Rift DK2 .8 with Vorpx to run with MWO. For the life of me, I can't figure it out. It simply wont attach itself to the MWO Client. Help would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to give this a try.

I couldn't it make work at first, but now it works for me. I can not say what was the missing step, as it was more than an afternoon of triale and error.

Here is a summary of what I did:
  • Following this troubleshoot suggestions:
    Deactivate all things that messes with your graphics (SweetFX and their like) or add overlays (Mumble, Teamspeak, AMD Gaming Evolved/Raptr, Steam, Skype)
  • Disconnect other monitors
  • Deactivate Crossfire/SLI
  • Run the MWO Repair Tool and delete the Shaders
  • Set MWO to a resolution of 1920x1080 (DK2 native resolution)
  • Try the 32bit or 64bit Client (currently both works for me)
  • I tried the Oculus Runtime v0.8.0, v0.7.0 and v0.6.0, first I got it to work with v0.6.0, but now v0.8.0 works fine, too.
---

Currently I deactivated the Head-Tracking in VorpX and use Opentrack as Free-Look to control the Pilots Head via TrackIR-Protocols (shout out ot Ekezial's "DIY VR - MWO With Google Cardboard (Working Head Tracking)" Post).

---

As I am not satisfied with the view-settings of VorpX (Cinema, Pixel 1x1 + Zoom out, or Custom Resolution (looks off-centered)), I would appreciate any Hints/Suggestion in this regard.

---

MWO: Set Custom Resolution:
  • File: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Profiles\<ProfileName>\attributes.xml
  • Values: OptionCfg.r_Width & OptionCfg.r_Height
---

Also has someone used MWO with TriDef 3D? Does it look better?

I got TriDef to work with MWO by using the 32-bit client and using DirectX9.
But I couldn`t it make it to use the DK2. According to the TriDef Forums I need to clone my display to the Rift, but currently I can`t.
Maybe it has something to do with this Issue Oculus Rift Runtime [0.8] Failed to initialize DirectDisplay extension (AMD), as I am using Radeon 15.12 (Crimson?) for my AMD cards, but I don`t want to downgrade now.

Any sugesstions?

Edited by Linus, 30 December 2015 - 08:21 AM.

#27 Ritter Prinz Eugen

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:20 AM

My boss was talking yesterday so long to me after work, that I forgot the reminder for ordering the Oculus.. Posted Image Now I have ordered today and have to wait until june..... But I´m glad that I can order it and get it in a couple of month. Posted Image Until this I have to play on my 3x 27" monitors, that´s also nice. Posted Image

Anyone with an earlier delivery?

And do anyone know if the developer version(s) you guys using far behind the final consumer version?

#28 Daddy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

I placed mine 5 mins after the site changed. My date says April. I'm excited for the full vr experience but my true passion is mechwarrior. I'm really hoping pgi comes through on there support pro is during the steam launch event for oculus rift.

#29 Sizzles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationWaiting in line for his UrbanMech UM-PP.

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:09 AM

It would be nice for playing ArmA and War Thunder. And eventually Space Engineers WHEN THEY GET FREAKING SUPPORT FOR IT.

But for now I'm going to stick with my trusty Track IR.

#30 Ritter Prinz Eugen

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

@Daddy,
you can play MWO with Oculus. It´s not so perfect like games that are made for that, but better than on monitor. When I understood everything right. Full Support would be awesome for sure. Can`t imagine it right now, I hope Oculus is as good as everyone is saying.

#31 Daddy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:32 PM

I do know that my coworker and I both love this game and he ordered his 15 mins after he found out I ordered mine. He is however starting to sell plasma to make his wife happy with the $600 surprise on the credit card.
We are both looking forward to a true mechwarrior experience better then the pods of old that you could jump in and play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users