A Possible Model For Clan Play In 04/15

2 replies to this topic

#1 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:38 AM

Recent Clan play has brought to mind a historical option that models Clan play ( at this moment)

I dont intend to make this with reference to political ideologogies , rather the combat experience of a military branch. That being the German Luftwaffe in the spring of 1945. Dropping as Clan at this point is most often done as pugs (maybe a 4 man anchor if lucky) against well organized IS teams often being 10-12 mans.

The Luftwaffe by this time was throwing many inexperienced pilots into the fray along with the few surviving veterans. The new pilots if lucky would survive long enough to get experience and perform well in combat. The match scores at the end of CW often reflect this with a few scores of 1600 plus and many below 1000.

The Luftwaffe had a few great planes ( jets me-262, rockets) at wars end but still relied on many prewar models (bf-109) . For the Clans..Tbr, Scr Hbr versus a pile of crappy CW mechs.

The allies fielded Thunderbolts! (spot on analogy) and other good planes by wars end (late model spits, typhoons, Mustangs) and had squadrons of experienced pilots used relentlessy. Again IS mimics this as they are using many more CW efficent mechs (Stalkers, Thunderbolts, Dragons, Wolverines and Lights) in excellent teams.

Like the Luftwaffe we await....the "WunderWaffe". Maybe Clan wave three will help us? (Hoping that current mechs will be quirked to CW competence seems a poor hope..)

Again this is not meant to imply any sort of ties to a Mechwarrior faction and a reprehensible philosophy, rather how Clan play at the present moment mimics the plight of the end war Luftwaffe.

#2 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:24 AM

Well, from what i know, those new fighters were introduced too late to have an effect..

And yes, Thunderbolts is really a good analogy lol.

#3 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

Since the map reset is coming soon, the best option is for pugs to keep throwing themselves into the fray to gain combat experience. The more of them that do this, the stronger our Clans' combined strength will be.

I think wave 3 will help tremendously. The addition of a 45-ton ECM-capable mech will give us a lot of ECM options, frankly better options than IS (the ECM Atlas is pretty outdated by this point). Also, the "uber-spider" will make it's debut, allowing us to effectively ling-rush the enemy's gens, but with better mechs.

Lastly, I believe that the EXE is really gonna change things. Many focus on the armaments only, which yea sure it's lacking compared to a Dire Whale... a 95-ton mech with the speed of an IS medium WILL strike fear into the hearts of many unprepared pilots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users