Pc Crash With Higher Video Settings

14 replies to this topic

#1 Mumpitzmaster

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

Hi Community and PGI,

looks like this is the right forum to get support for my crash issue.

My Rig:
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Intel i7 980X EE @ 3,33GHz
6x8GB Crutial Balistix Sport DDR3-1600 set by X.M.P. Profile to 9-9-9-24 1,5V
2x MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G SLI
3x iiyama ProLite E2710HDS 27" Displays
Tagan TG1300-BZ, a 1300W PSU, SLI-Ready

My Problem:
I recently upgraded my Rig from 3x2GB ADATA XPG Plus2.0 and 2x Leadtek GTX480 SLI to the above given Hardware.
Before, i could run MWO at 'high' details and also at 6000x1080, but i chose to play at low with 1920x1080 windowed for higher FPS.
Now i thought i should at least be able to play at 'very high' details and 1920x1080 whitout any problems. Nope, impossible.
Right after the match starts, my system just shuts off and reboots.

So i thougt this could be a hardware problem and run some Benchmarks.
- Memtest passed whithout errors or crashes, one with multi-threading and one whithout
- 3DMark passed all benches, also the 4K one
- FurMark passed all benches also with Xtreme burn-in and Post-FX activated
- Prime95 was running an hour without problems

The CPU Temp never exceeded 70°C and the GPU Temps never 80°C
I also tried MSI Afterburner to manually speed up the GPU Fans to 100%. Still direct crash on 'very high'

I tried other Games with their Ultra-Settings and they run perfectly fine.

The PSU is strong enough, the GTX 480 have a TDP of 250W and the GTX980 of 180W. By the way 1300W should be good for nearly every system.
GPU Temperatures of 80°C should be fine, if they get to 90 i should have a look for better cooling.

While trying to find the cause i set the details to 'mid' and raised one option by one to 'high'.
It seemed to be stable until i finally raised the post processing from 'mid' to 'high'.
So i thought the pp is the crash factor and tried 'very high' except for pp to 'mid'. I could run around and kill all the mechs on the new cw map but shortly after, it crashed again.

I apreciate every bit of help to be able to use the power that is given to me.

#2 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

Reinstall MW:O yet? uninstall the game and run a registry cleaner to get rid of any vestige that windows might leave behind. This is a really easy thing and cheap - just costs you some time. Then reinstall after rebooting your machine.

Irrespective

take these steps when problems crop up:

Fault/Isolate
Remove/Replace
Test/Verify

I am unfamiliar with that power supply. always worth checking to see if that's the problem.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 12 April 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#3 Mumpitzmaster

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:55 AM

Short Update:
Just made two further testing sessions in the testing grounds. Map, Thera Therma. Details, 'mid' and 'low'
I was running straight to the Cataphract on the left. Both times the PC crashed right before i could stand in front of him. About 300m away. So not even 'low' details work reliable.

I will try to plug of two displays an use max performance in the SLI Settings. This way i could play at least the half of the challange. If it still crashes, i am seriously worried.

#4 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:03 AM

I didn't think SLI was supported in MW:O. maybe that's the issue?

#5 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

When a PC shuts down or reboots itself, there is a hardware problem.

First thing I would do is take everything apart and put it back together again. Could be something's loose in its slot.

Second thing I would do is increase the voltage to your RAM. Large amounts like that generally require more voltage than normal. Try 1.6v or even 1.65v to see if that helps.

Could also be your power supply. 1300W is way overkill, but even a big boy like that can develop problems.

#6 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

Could try 8 hours of prime small FFT

Or LinX, memory on "all"

I always test memory with HCI memtest, did you use that one?

Edited by Flapdrol, 12 April 2015 - 11:20 AM.

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostMumpitzmaster, on 12 April 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

Hi Community and PGI,

looks like this is the right forum to get support for my crash issue.

My Rig:
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Intel i7 980X EE @ 3,33GHz
6x8GB Crutial Balistix Sport DDR3-1600 set by X.M.P. Profile to 9-9-9-24 1,5V
2x MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G SLI
3x iiyama ProLite E2710HDS 27" Displays
Tagan TG1300-BZ, a 1300W PSU, SLI-Ready

Since when can a Nehalem talk to 8GB DIMMs?

How many kits did you buy? There is supposed to be an issue with using two smaller kits instead of one, full-sized … But I used to get away with it, when I was up to 24GB.

And who is "Tagan?"

Have you run Prime95 and Kombuster/ FurMark at the same time?

Edited by Goose, 12 April 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#8 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

Fallow the links: http://www.jonnyguru...read.php?t=3858

http://www.hardocp.c..._power_supply/9

#9 Mumpitzmaster

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

@Gremlich Johns: I switched to 'maximized 3D Performance' where only on display is active with the SLI and it worked like a charm. Even on 'very high' details setting. So SLI is not a problem per se. But maybe Multi-Monitor with this Setup. As i mentioned, with the two GTX480's i had no problems playing on thre displays. Just the FPS where quite low (~20) and the fan's where running at full speed. For 480's thats quite a noise. So SLI Support is given, i would say.

@Flapdrol: I used http://www.memtest.org/
The first run i just started it and let it work (about 4 hours). On the second run, i forced multi threading (F2) and let it run (about 1 hour).

@Goose: Regarding to this guy, http://wp.xin.at/archives/880 this setup is able to run save and stable, even if intel says 24GB is the max supported by the i7 980X and the X58 platform. I bought 3 dual kits, because there are no other packagings.

Tagan was a German company that suddenly dissapeared. As far as i know the quality was very good. Else i wouldn't have bought it. :P
And also, if its "just" a 1100W PSU, like HardOCP said, that should still be enough.

Prime95 and FurMark togerther doesnt really work. I tried it but FurMark only gets 1-3 FPS then.

Finnaly @Durant Carlyle: I also thought that it has to be Hardware related, but all benchs are working and only at MW:O with Multi-Monitor-Setting active, it will crash. Like i said, turning of MM lets me play at the highest settings.

I'm planning on setting up a fresh windows system when buying an SSD and HDD's for a RAID5. In the meantime i will try to re-install MW:O if i can find the time for it. The repair tool already was "fixing" files for about an hour, the second run of it found no compromised files anymore. I also reseted the settings with the second run.

Edited by Mumpitzmaster, 12 April 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#10 Mumpitzmaster

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:24 PM

~48h of memtest, ~8h of 3DMark Firestrike, ~5h of Bioshoch Infinite on highest Details at 6000x1080 and there were still no crashes. For me, this problem is related to MW:O and not to my hardware itself. Why else would all these 'tests' pass but MW:O fails?

By the way, Bioshock's recommended system requirements seem higher than the ones from MW:O, except for Memory. But it just might be more efficient than MW:O.

Bioshock Infinite recommended system requirements:
Processor: Quad Core Processor
Memory: 4GB
Hard Disk Space: 30 GB free
Video Card: DirectX11 Compatible, AMD Radeon HD 6950 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
Video Card Memory: 1024 MB
Sound: DirectX Compatible

MW:O recommended system requirements:
Operating System: Windows 7
Processor: i5-2500/X4 650
RAM: 8GB
Video Card: GTX 285/HD 5830
Hard Drive Space: 16GB
Direct X: 11

#11 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:42 AM

… Annnnnnd your Prime95-plus-something-graphic'y pulls went how?

#12 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

View PostMumpitzmaster, on 16 April 2015 - 10:24 PM, said:

~48h of memtest, ~8h of 3DMark Firestrike, ~5h of Bioshoch Infinite on highest Details at 6000x1080 and there were still no crashes. For me, this problem is related to MW:O and not to my hardware itself. Why else would all these 'tests' pass but MW:O fails?

By the way, Bioshock's recommended system requirements seem higher than the ones from MW:O, except for Memory. But it just might be more efficient than MW:O.

Bioshock Infinite recommended system requirements:
Processor: Quad Core Processor
Memory: 4GB
Hard Disk Space: 30 GB free
Video Card: DirectX11 Compatible, AMD Radeon HD 6950 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
Video Card Memory: 1024 MB
Sound: DirectX Compatible

MW:O recommended system requirements:
Operating System: Windows 7
Processor: i5-2500/X4 650
RAM: 8GB
Video Card: GTX 285/HD 5830
Hard Drive Space: 16GB
Direct X: 11

They Say "Recommended", but it's more of a Minimum

#13 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

View PostMumpitzmaster, on 12 April 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

Finnaly @Durant Carlyle: I also thought that it has to be Hardware related, but all benchs are working and only at MW:O with Multi-Monitor-Setting active, it will crash. Like i said, turning of MM lets me play at the highest settings.

Any kind of reboot or shutdown is hardware-related. 100%, absolutely, positively, guaranteed.

If it was just software, the game would crash. Or the graphics driver would crash. Or Windows itself would crash. But that's it.

Are you running the latest BIOS for your mainboard?

Have you tried 24GB of RAM? Yes, you cite one particular guy who was able to run 48GB, but even he said many people cannot get it to work. It's a random die roll getting it to work.

Also, have you tried multi-monitor with one 980? Yes, the performance will likely suck, but it's a necessary testing step.

Which PCIe slots are you using? Maybe a different arrangement would allow it to work. Or maybe just switching the cards will work (maybe the top one likes to be on the bottom lol).

#14 DesiDioN

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

I feel compelled to comment on this. To be pithy - you're experiencing catastrophic failure. Why?: You're overheating. The problem you are describing means only one of two things - either A: there's a fundamental issue with your PSU, or B: your graphics cards are overheating. (btw, 1 hour or so of testing them isn't enough.) 80c on the 980 is too hot. Especially if you have a ref. based card. You will want to get them returned via RMA and ask for an ACX v2.0 for your cooler units in the 980. Throttling starts at 79/80 c +/- 1c, and for many, the cards simply cause catastrophic failure at 80c. Whatever it is about MWO,is putting you at the edge. You might try reducing certain bonus settings in your drives to reduce tessellation or AA to reduce the heat strain that invariably causes.

I would have said RAM - but you, at no time, mention any kind of BSOD. So, this sort of failure (But passing of tests) is nearly always those two hardware types - PSU or GPU heating. Good luck

Edited by DesiDioN, 17 April 2015 - 08:17 PM.

#15 Mumpitzmaster

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:49 PM

@Durant Carlyle: No, i have not tried MM with just one Monitor, because i have no Monitor with DisplayPort and there are just one DVI and one HDMI but three DP's on a Card. I am using the PCIe Slots that are said, by the manufacturer to be used for a dual SLI setup. The first and the third of the four slots.

@DesiDioN: No, there where never BSOD's. Not even a dump that i could look at with the bluescreenview tool.
The System also crashed with the FAN's at 100% and less than a minute at the battlefield. The last temperature i could see in MSI Afterburner was about 60°C. That's why i excluded a heat problem. Your knowledge about 80° being to hot comes from experiance?
My short research about temperatures for graphics cards, was that 100° being hot and 110° being critical. But also that some Nvidia support has told a customer that up to 140° are possible whithout damaging the hardware. o.O Totally crazy, stupid and false, if you ask me.

I have decided to take these Cards because, there are Water-Blocks for it and they had a RMA 0%, beside good user ratings and a solid chance of having no or just little coil whine.
If you are right and 80° are to hot, then i need to speed up my plans on switching to water cooling. I bought the all the Blocks (CPU, NB, 2xGPU) together with the cards but i still need a radiator, a pump, a reservoir and all the other liitle things.

You also mentioned s.th. about just 1 hour testing isn't enough. As i said in my last post, i tested 8 hours successfull and played more than 5 hours successfull. I could also run Furmark for several hours if you think this one is better than 3DMark for stressing the GPU.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users