8 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Hoag

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

Hi, guys.

I'm not sure which patch over-wrote my settings, as I applied four patches in one night (I was out of commission from allergies for two weeks), but it's wreaked havoc on my MWO install.

First, my computer login is a standard account on Windows7 Ultimate. Every time I launch MWO, I get a prompt asking for the admin password. The last time this happened, I had to completely uninstall the game, then re-install while logged on to my admin account. Please, please tell me someone has a work-around, for this. Coz if uninstalling and re-installing is the only option, I think I'm just going to uninstall it and forget about it - I'm not going to have my computer download the initial patch overnight, again.

Second, all my game settings were reset to defaults. I tried to put everything back to how I initially had it set, but I didn't memorize the settings, so I occasionally have to tweak them. What is really annoying is that I have a dual-monitor system, and the game is set to fullscreen on one of the monitors; the other monitor "shrinks" my desktop (the wallpaper shrinks and leaves a large, black border) as if the game were commanding a higher resolution than my desktop. This wasn't happening before the patches were applied.

I've got my monitors at full-blown top res. So, why is this happening?

Is anyone else having this issue?

V/r,

Jonathan Hoag

Edited by Jonathan Hoag, 19 April 2015 - 02:59 PM.

#2 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

A while ago a patch changed where MWO saves profile-data and screenshots to comply with some mircosoft windows guidelines or whatever ... if your patcher didn't run with admin rights it might have screwed that transition up and just created a new profile folder for you (while deleting the old one, with your screenshots, probably).
That's probably also why you're asked for your admin password, don't know about that, though. You might have the reinstall...maybe someone here knows a more tech-savvy way of working around that.

Regarding the monitor thing: I'm guessing your "main"-monitor has a different native resolution than your secondary one,if you run MWO in full window-mode it should stop happening (you could also set both monitors to the same resolution but that might be even uglier than a wrongly scaled wallpaper OR run MWO in the resolution of your second monitor).

#3 Jonathan Hoag

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

Both monitors are at the same resolution, no doubt.

If the patch that complies with some micro$oft guidelines can be fixed with a simple work-around, great. If I have to re-install to get it to work, I'm done. Hopefully, someone (as you stated) who knows a more tech-savvy way can provide instructions. I really do not want to do the whole download thing, again, especially since the downloads go slower than molasses through cheesecloth, lately.

Thank you for your input, @Ironwithin.

Jonathan Hoag

#4 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:33 PM

Do you have MWO running at the same resolution as your desktop ?

Also: have you tried ticking the little "Run as Admin"-box or (if it's already ticked) turning it off ?

Edited by Ironwithin, 13 April 2015 - 06:54 AM.

#5 Jonathan Hoag

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:38 PM

I'll check to see if they are the same. But the thing is - this wasn't an issue until just recently.

And, yes, the "Run as Admin" box is ticked. Changing the tick makes no difference. SOMEthing (one of the .exe files) was over-written during one of the patches, and since I was logged on as my standard user when it happened, I now have to enter my admin pw, every time I run the game.

V/r,

Jonathan Hoag

#6 Jonathan Hoag

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:08 PM

Okay.. as it turns out, the resolution settings had little to do with it. I was in FULLSCREEN when I should have been in FULL WINDOW (like I said, earlier, I don't remember my settings and am tweaking as I go along.) So, now, not only is my desktop staying the same, but I can now move my cursor out of the game and open my chat client. :)

But this still leaves the admin pw BS. If I can fix it without re-installing, I'm all about it! I do love this game. However, if uninstall/reinstall is the only fix, I'm most likely going to give up MWO.

Thank you for your help, @Ironwithin.

V/r,

Jonathan Hoag

#7 Jonathan Hoag

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the admin pw BS without completely uninstalling and re-installing MWO?

V/r,

Jonathan Hoag

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

If you are talking about the admin popup on a standard account, that will happen every time now simply due the settings being saved in a standard profile, no uninstalling/installing the game will change that.

I think this is the thread you would need to review.

http://mwomercs.com/...-admin-account/

There is a newer thread that I am not able to find but it had basically the same instructions.

Just remember, if playing from 2 different Windows accounts on the same PC, the game settings will not be identical if any changes had been made to one of them.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 April 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#9 Jonathan Hoag

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:57 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 18 April 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

If you are talking about the admin popup on a standard account, that will happen every time now simply due the settings being saved in a standard profile, no uninstalling/installing the game will change that.

I think this is the thread you would need to review.

http://mwomercs.com/...-admin-account/

There is a newer thread that I am not able to find but it had basically the same instructions.

Just remember, if playing from 2 different Windows accounts on the same PC, the game settings will not be identical if any changes had been made to one of them.

The interesting thing is that I did manage to get it to run without prompting for admin pw, and I did it without running any third-party installations. One of the patches undid/overwrote what I did and started prompting me for the pw.

HOWEVER, thanks for providing that link. I did some looking around, followed the instructions for manually using the "sdbinst" command, and once I went through and removed "Run As Administrator" on all the .exe files, it now works without prompting me for the admin pw!! THANK YOU!

V/r,

Jonathan Hoag

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users