17 replies to this topic

#1 Rinkata Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 315 posts
  • LocationSoviet Clans

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

ZEU-6S had a lack of quirks. There is no nice build for this guy right now. I tested so much of them including some builds based on XL engines up to 390 - and all of them are just bad. Any other mech in game is just better than this one.

Just for example, every Battlemaster had much more firepower and usability compared to ZEU-6S. But you must know that Battlemaster is not a best 'Mech in game and also not popular.

Edited by Rinkata Kimiku, 12 April 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:52 PM

Not all mechs can be "best".

That said, my Zeus 6S works very well for me... LL, two AC5s, and an LRM10. (LRMs are optional.)

#3 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:27 AM

Most players will have trouble with the Zeus-6S design. I use Large Lasers and an AC10, maybe an SRM6, not as good as the ZEU-9S or ZEU-6T, but it works.

Technically, the right arm should have 2 missile hardpoints since this was a design weakness of the Zeus in the lore. So the technicians working on the mech would likely want optional hardpoints, if hardpoints existed in Battle Tech that is.

#4 Cord78

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:26 AM

The ZEU-6S already has some quirks that works fine.

Zeus ZEU-6S{R} and ZEU-6S Quirks:

Spoiler

I run my ZEU-6S with 4 med pulse and 2 AC5 and consistently do well in it average 3-5 kills and multiple assists. It can also take a savage beating as well before going down.

#5 Rinkata Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 315 posts
  • LocationSoviet Clans

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:27 AM

View PostCord78, on 13 April 2015 - 06:26 AM, said:

The ZEU-6S already has some quirks that works fine.

Nope, they are not. Look, if there will be a dragon style quirks for AC5, so yeah maybe it will be a nice AC5 boat with some lazors, but now it is not a good loadout.

Yes ZEU-9S for example can use much better loadout, just put in 6 MPL + SRM6A and it will works perfectly.
ZEU-6T can utilize it's 3 missile points to be a not bad LRM or a good (yeah not so good, but it works at least) SRM boat with MPLs.
But ZEU-6S is completely useless.

3LL + Gauss? No energy quirks, and same on HGN-732 works much better (and yeah you don't need to donate for HGN-732 it is free and better).

Edited by Rinkata Kimiku, 13 April 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#6 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

i done above 1k damage more than just once with it. yes it does need an XL but its not as fat as a victor.
i run XL350, 2 ac5, 4 med pulse laser and a srm6.
sure you need to be careful when to engage but it works really fine especially if you play with lancemates that know how to play as a lance.

#7 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

And there we have it ... people completly dependant on weapons quirks. Just get BETTER.
Weapon-specific quirks are dumb as all hell.

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

View PostIronwithin, on 13 April 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

And there we have it ... people completly dependant on weapons quirks. Just get BETTER.
Weapon-specific quirks are dumb as all hell.

I tend to agree. I don't even look at quirks half the time when I make my mechs. To say a mech is bad just on its quirks I feel is kinda silly.

#9 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:13 AM

Zeus ZEU-6S is supposed to have 2 missile hardpoints in the right arm. If you check the Lore about the mech the LRM launcher was problematic with the larger size launchers so it would have more than just one hardpoint. Problem is that Battletech has no hardpoints so you have to use logic as a guide rather than just the stock weapon configuration. But too late now.

Pretty Baby (for instance) has needed just one more hardpoint for a large weapon for 2 years and all it gets is these really dumb as hell quirks. If the Pretty Baby will really never get another hardpoint the Energy Quirks should be for ERPPCs, not 2 second recharging LLAS. The mech has an un-missable CT, but speed so it needs to be moving under fire, not popping it's laser every two seconds. Oh well.

#10 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:38 AM

I think we're losing sight of what quirks are supposed to be here. I blame none of us, PGI lost sight of this before we did. Those were supposed to help underperforming mechs get better. Instead we have some mechs that are so heavily quirked that they pretty much pigeonholed themselves into specific setups because frankly, one would have to be crazy not to take advantage of them. Now we have mechs that come with quirks on day one before anyone's had even a single match in them ( Hello King Crab.)

Originally the quirk system made sense for some mechs who were well known for specific loadouts, ( Awesome for PPCs, YLW for AC20, Hunckback for the same, etc...) Now we even have an awesome with LRM quirks...wtf ?? Concerning the Zeus, it's a jack-of-all-trades battlemech and its quirks, should they be necessary to revisit, should reflect that.

#11 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:49 AM

2 ac5 4 mpl work really well, its my favorit resistance package mech
Not saying much since i dont like most of them sadly.

Edited by deanon, 20 April 2015 - 05:49 AM.

#12 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:07 AM

Haven't even touched my Zeus's yet, but these will probably be the first build I try on the 6S:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2e06507df454285

Edited by xeromynd, 20 April 2015 - 07:07 AM.

#13 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

ZEU 6S® is my favorite mech from resistance. Try in with a G-riffle and 4MPL. Standard engine and filled up rest with DHS. It tears things apart. Use one side as a shield (full armed) to protect left side weapons. Run MPL range and Gauss cool down module. Very hard to over heat and can use the whole right side to soak damage if caught in the open.

The Zeus tank damage well.

#14 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

put 4 large pulse lasers on and profit. Dont listen to Tesunie, LRMs are terrible.

#15 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

Both Battlemasters & Zeus's are fine and commonplace enough, imho.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostRinkata Kimiku, on 12 April 2015 - 06:17 PM, said:

ZEU-6S had a lack of quirks. There is no nice build for this guy right now. I tested so much of them including some builds based on XL engines up to 390 - and all of them are just bad. Any other mech in game is just better than this one.

Just for example, every Battlemaster had much more firepower and usability compared to ZEU-6S. But you must know that Battlemaster is not a best 'Mech in game and also not popular.

6S is my best Zeus. Run an LRM15, 4 MPL and ac10 on it with I think a 350xl. Running over a 3.0 KDr in it.

View PostLightfoot, on 16 April 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:

Zeus ZEU-6S is supposed to have 2 missile hardpoints in the right arm. If you check the Lore about the mech the LRM launcher was problematic with the larger size launchers so it would have more than just one hardpoint. Problem is that Battletech has no hardpoints so you have to use logic as a guide rather than just the stock weapon configuration. But too late now.

Pretty Baby (for instance) has needed just one more hardpoint for a large weapon for 2 years and all it gets is these really dumb as hell quirks. If the Pretty Baby will really never get another hardpoint the Energy Quirks should be for ERPPCs, not 2 second recharging LLAS. The mech has an un-missable CT, but speed so it needs to be moving under fire, not popping it's laser every two seconds. Oh well.

what the heck are you talking about? In Lore it was notorious for ONLY being able to pack a single ton of ammo in the arm for the launcher. The LRM was a tertiary system, not a primary. I would love a second hardpoint, but there is nothing in lore indicating or mandating it.

View Postpbiggz, on 20 April 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

put 4 large pulse lasers on and profit. Dont listen to Tesunie, LRMs are terrible.

depends on if teams or PUGs. And how you use them. I FInd the work well on the build.

#17 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:57 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 20 April 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

Just because you disagree about LRMs doesn't mean people shouldn't listen to me. That aside, as I mentioned, LRMs are optional. I like them and I feel they work well for me in the design. If you don't like them, you don't have to use them. They are a support system only, not the focus of the mech.

My 6S has two AC5s, a LL and a single LRM10 with two tons of ammo. For me it works well, as I use the LRMs as I approach for direct fire combat, or when I am far to injured to take another hit. My Zeus 9S has a similar payload, and it's been holding well in my matches. Then again, so has my Battlemaster 1G.

I built my mechs to my preferences and play style. You should do the same for yourself. What works for me may not work for you. What I find fun, you might not. There is nothing wrong with that.

View PostTelmasa, on 20 April 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Both Battlemasters & Zeus's are fine and commonplace enough, imho.

Battlemasters I find are uncommon, and do at least give the Zeus' population the consideration of it being a new mech. It's true popularity and "usefulness" inside the "meta" I feel is still yet to be determined. Then again, I'm not calling you wrong here either. Each seem like great mechs to me, depending upon what one wishes to do for their mech designs of course. I also see them "common enough" as well, though Atlases and Stalkers are seen far more often from my perspective.

#18 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:16 PM

Honestly, if I weren't already committed with at least one mech per weapon type - or if maybe the Awesome 9M didn't get better quirks for the ERPPC - I'd be workin' a Battlemaster about now. I've always loved how they look.

Heck, someday if I'm swimming in spare c-bills maybe I'll pick one up just for that reason. (I still need to buy a stupid amount of modules though.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users