#21 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:18 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 14 April 2015 - 01:01 AM, said:

Slowing down or jumping doesn't let you turn faster, slowing down just gives you a tighter turn circle and jumping lets you turn while going in a straight line.

You're quite right. Guess that's what you get trying to do a fast post at work. ;) So what I was poorly alluding to for the OP was how you can do those 2 things to help keep an enemy in sight, especially when you do the common 'circle of death' with each other (where both you and an opponent try and circle each other). So while you do not actually turn faster the tighter turning radius does help you to get/keep an enemy in sight. The same goes for turning while JumpJetting, you will have forward momentum based on your speed at the moment of jump, but for turning purposes you act like you are actually stationary, meaning you turn 'on the spot' (not really because of that previous forward momentum but the moment your feet hit the ground you will be going the direction your legs are now facing).

Posted Image

Edited by SnagaDance, 14 April 2015 - 11:13 AM.

#22 VeryHot

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:21 AM

Your posts have been helpful.

I played quite a bit yesterday and I think I've got a handle on the basics. Movement and aiming come naturally now that I'm 100% in cockpit view.

I played around with most medium and heavy trial mechs and settled on buying a Centurion. (I'm getting a bit off-topic here).
I took out the medium lasers and installed a single large torso laser. Studies have shown that I successfully keep a distance from my opponents until I get rushed, in which case I die anyways, so I removed most of my rear armor, nearly all of my head armor (I've never been hit in the head) and put most of it in the torso. I can't increase the armor of the right arm, so I keep losing the AC-10 if I engage the enemy from the wrong side :(

I'm happy there are many skills that I can use from World of Tanks. I don't know if any of you have used an M3Lee of the British TDs, but they have their gun mounted on one side of the hull.
I used those skill to keep my 'dead' left arm always facing the enemy when coming around a corner.

Peek-a-boo or whatever you call it here is very much alive. It's dipping into and back out of corner, alternating where you come out from to keep the enemy from being pre-aimed at your position. 'Artillery shadow' is something you had to learn in WoT too. Whenever I get an 'incoming missiles' warning, I stood next to tall cover and missiles never fall down steep enough to get over it.

Right now, I'm saving up for a faster mech than the Centurion, with four ballistic slots and two energy slots. Does anyone have an idea of what that is?

#23 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:44 AM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 13 April 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

Yes, 3PV is default. Because PGI "would love to enhance the new player experience".

God...If I´d be new right now I´d probably quit after a week. Tops.

If only the newbies would play the tutorial.

becaue seriously, who keeps that stupid mode enabled? And it is fortunately one of the first things the tutorial teaches.

#24 HelBound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:53 AM

The CN9 variants are solid medium mechs, you have the right idea by using the dead arm 'shield arm' to tank incoming fire. The CN9's are torso twist gods and are great for spreading damage. When taking incoming fire use the shield arm to absorb fire, move your torso around to spread the damage until your main gun has cycled.

The thing to note about the centurion is most people will first fire on the gun arm to gimp the mech. It is common for centurion pilots to use a Standard Engine rather then an XL engine and place some medium lasers in the centre torso. This allows the CN9 to lose both side torso's but still fight.

Sounds like you are using the CN9-A, Ive since sold my CN9-A but if I recall this was my set up. I used an XL engine for the speed boost (because its lighter I could fit a bigger engine) and used the mech as a strike mech. Here is the set up CN9-A

Standard Engines are heavier but take up only the centre torso. XL engines are lighter and sometimes have more internal heat sinks. However XL engines extend into both side torsos. For an Inner Sphere mech losing one side torso with an XL engine kills the mech.

I would suggest the Hunchback as another option, direct fire ballistics (on most) but are also small brawler mechs.
You can use Smurfy's which is an online mechlab to test out your builds and budget things out. It is a fantastic resource.

Good luck out there.

#25 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:26 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 14 April 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

...becaue seriously, who keeps that stupid mode enabled? And it is fortunately one of the first things the tutorial teaches.

I will answer with two questions of my own.

a ) Who made "stupid mode" the default mode? IGP´s fault? They are no longer here.
b ) Who didn´t make the tutorial 1. more visible and 2. mandatory?

Someone should twitter this thread to Russ and add some hashtag "new player experience" or some of that social media crap.

I do not even want to guess how many people quitted the game instead of coming to the forums to ask what
can be done about the camera.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 14 April 2015 - 07:34 AM.

#26 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostVeryHot, on 14 April 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

Right now, I'm saving up for a faster mech than the Centurion, with four ballistic slots and two energy slots. Does anyone have an idea of what that is?

That's a Cicada 3C (I think) or the Firestarter hero "ember" ... or a spider, I forget which spider though. All three are a little harder to play... I guess the Enforcer 5P (with a huge engine) goes faster than the centurion, but it only has one energy hardpoint. Not exactly what you're looking for, though.
In all seriousness, the 'mech faster than the centurion, is the centurion with a bigger (and better) engine.

I'm taking a wild guess that you're either piloting the A or the D variant. I don't want to assume anything so I'll go with the basics. If you already know this, you can skip ahead. - Chassis have different variants that have weapon layouts and quirks that mark them as different from one another. Each InnerSphere mech can be customized almost entirely to your liking, within the hardpoint system.

Because the D variant is so expensive, I'm guessing that you have the A variant. It starts looking something like this: CN9-A
It's balanced, but there are some improvements that can be made. First, let's improve the cooling capabilities - that's an upgrade to double heatsinks. You can find those under upgrades in the game mechlab.
if you like the weaponry, lets go with some upgrades that save some weight. Like so:CN9-A#2
Endo Steel and Ferro-Fibrous armor reduce the weight at the expense of your hard earned c-bills and taking more space inside your 'mech.

Now it has almost an extra 5 and a half tons extra to use as you want, but we've also lost 2 of our required heatsinks when we upgraded to the double type. (10 are required for every mech, minimum)
So let's do something drastic.
We're making your Centurion look like this: CN9-A#3
we removed the LRM launcher and one ton of LRM ammo, then moved the AC ammo to the legs and the LRM ammo to the head (it's safer there). we removed the engine and replaced it with a standard 250, making your ride much faster. the next thing we did was add in 2 LRM 5's which have a faster reload time.
You should also notice that the 250 has all 10 required heatsinks included inside itself, meaning you don't need to add any extra. We've also reduced the head armor and the left arm armor to 13. That way we can max the center torso armor (where your engine is) and bring the legs to near max, making your Centurion much more survivable.

From there you can tune the armor to your taste, but this is a pretty good "stock+" way of upgrading your mech. I would also point you to the quirks for maximizing the value of your design. You can find a list of them here:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ium_innersphere

The sky's the limit. Welcome to the game. Let us know if you have any more questions!

Edited by Phobic Wraith, 14 April 2015 - 09:19 AM.

#27 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

If you want a ballistic mech that's faster, you won't be able to run more than one ac (you'd be limited to machine guns instead because of weight).

If you want a stronger ballistic platform, look to the Jagermechs first, but also Cataphracts, Banshees, and King Crabs on the IS side.

#28 VeryHot

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

Thanks a lot everyone. I took all I learnt from this account and you guys, and started over.

#29 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostVeryHot, on 14 April 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

Thanks a lot everyone. I took all I learnt from this account and you guys, and started over.

I hate to see new players start over, but let us know your new profile name and be sure to hit us up with any questions.

#30 Krakenfingers

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:38 PM

View PostPhobic Wraith, on 14 April 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

I hate to see new players start over, but let us know your new profile name and be sure to hit us up with any questions.

It's me, also on the Noob Build thread where I explained my reasoning for starting over.
If you see my profile, I have a Trebuchet 7k.

#31 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

>Right now, I'm saving up for a faster mech than the Centurion, with four ballistic slots and two energy slots. Does anyone have an idea of what that is?

nova :3 you can get 4 ballistic and 12 e slots at once lol

if it's faster depends on what engine you use on your centurion, a centurion with xl engine can be a bit faster... but nova doesn't blow up with a single side torso destroyed like a centurion with a xl engine

#32 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

3PV is only minimally useful for learning the most basic of piloting skills, and only minimally useful for highly situational terrain peeking.

1PV gives you better control over everything, while allowing you to use your arm weapons to their full extent and removing most all of the targeting issues and other wonky behaviors of 3PV.

#33 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:08 AM

View PostVeryHot, on 14 April 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

Your posts have been helpful.

I played quite a bit yesterday and I think I've got a handle on the basics. Movement and aiming come naturally now that I'm 100% in cockpit view.

I played around with most medium and heavy trial mechs and settled on buying a Centurion. (I'm getting a bit off-topic here).
I took out the medium lasers and installed a single large torso laser. Studies have shown that I successfully keep a distance from my opponents until I get rushed, in which case I die anyways, so I removed most of my rear armor, nearly all of my head armor (I've never been hit in the head) and put most of it in the torso. I can't increase the armor of the right arm, so I keep losing the AC-10 if I engage the enemy from the wrong side :(

I'm happy there are many skills that I can use from World of Tanks. I don't know if any of you have used an M3Lee of the British TDs, but they have their gun mounted on one side of the hull.
I used those skill to keep my 'dead' left arm always facing the enemy when coming around a corner.

Peek-a-boo or whatever you call it here is very much alive. It's dipping into and back out of corner, alternating where you come out from to keep the enemy from being pre-aimed at your position. 'Artillery shadow' is something you had to learn in WoT too. Whenever I get an 'incoming missiles' warning, I stood next to tall cover and missiles never fall down steep enough to get over it.

1st person - cockpit view is always easier to aim. the + sign is for your torso weapons, while the O sign is for your arm weapons, and may move laterally besides vertically (if the arms have lower arm actuators).

You can change engines on Inner Sphere (IS) mechs as well, not just to increase your movement speed, but your torso twist speed as well.

Before i forget, headshots do happen. Don't strip all the armour off the head, especially for builds with large or obvious cockpits (catapult, atlas, etc)

Edited by dragnier1, 15 April 2015 - 03:11 AM.

#34 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:46 AM

You can search for ideas for builds under the Guides and Strategies - Battlemechs subforum.

You can also go here : https://www.mechspecs.com/

That website (forum) is linked to smurfy mechlab, so you can fiddle around with the mechlab while you do your research.

#35 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

Hello there new one :)

few advices in short form:

Never ever use 3PoV, only if you want see your new shiny paint job :D ( in CW its forbidden anyway )

Put your sensitivity very low in game and also on your mouse (I am using Logitech G5 default sets just that lowest-slowest mode), I know its different on each mouse, but thats help a lot. (and working for me)

W A S D for your legs

MOUSE for your upper torso and arms.

Also you have two types of crosshair. Circle is for your arms and cross is for your torsos mounted guns.

Probaby you already know how to put your guns in to the groups.

And about mechs in begin?

. . . . this is my personal opinion but it helped me a lot of learning the game fast. . . but there are many ways.

Take one mech from light, heavy and assault, it will learn you really fast how working a different chassis. Whats are cons and prons of each of them. How you can beat an assault in a light . . .etc.

Then you choose one and buy another two variant and start with mastering each chassis. . thats the fun part :)

You dont have to start new account, there are no "bad" mechs . . . each of them could be devastating in skilled hands on right place with good loadout :D

And dont care about your C-bills, just play and you will be rich soon.
And yes with group of good people your progress should be faster.

GL

Edited by DrSlamastika, 17 April 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#36 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 13 April 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

Aside from early match hill peeking, nobody worth their salt uses 3PV. It's almost impossible to fight in.

Yep, the inability to move your arms (OP also disable ARM LOCK in the same options menu!), plus the bouncy reticule trying to converge on every damn rock and tree on the ground makes 3PV straight up horrible to fight in.

#37 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:24 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 14 April 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

>Right now, I'm saving up for a faster mech than the Centurion, with four ballistic slots and two energy slots. Does anyone have an idea of what that is?

nova :3 you can get 4 ballistic and 12 e slots at once lol

if it's faster depends on what engine you use on your centurion, a centurion with xl engine can be a bit faster... but nova doesn't blow up with a single side torso destroyed like a centurion with a xl engine

Yeah, but holding pilot skill and build skill equal, a Centurion will mop the floor with a Nova one on one.

#38 PremithiumX

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 61 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

Hey Kraken, I skimmed the last few responses so I don't know if anyone mentioned this:
You need 3 variants of a chasis (like 3 different versions of the trebuchet) to fully level up that mech. Each one of those variants (TBT-3C, TBT-5N, TBT-blah blah blah) has an associated skill tree; mastering tier 2 (Elite) significantly improves that mech's performance.

Edited by PremithiumX, 18 April 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#39 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:38 PM

Just passing through quickly, but I think I read interest in a missile-locking light 'mech? I would recommend reading up on the Oxide hero Jenner. Mind you, it requires a real money purchase to unlock.

#40 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 18 April 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

Yeah, but holding pilot skill and build skill equal, a Centurion will mop the floor with a Nova one on one.

Not really, a good Nova build can kill a Centurion in 3-6 seconds, depending on the specific build you'll either need to get really close or be running very hot afterwards, but if you're good with lasers you can cut through any other medium in seconds with a Nova.

My personal favorite is the 12 small pulse build, that one's actually cool enough that you can put in machine guns instead of 2 extra heat sinks, it will shred anything under 200M if you're using a range module and since you'll have at least one, possibly two weapon groups ready at any given time it makes returning fire within it's effective range very dangerous. The trick to that build is to get within effective range, but that's not all that hard most of the time and a good Centurion build usually doesn't have a long enough range advantage to keep away when the opportunity arises for you to get closer.
The typical Centurion tactic is the twist and shoot, but you're not going to survive doing that more than once when you've got someone training 6 small pulse and 4 machine guns on your CT, and you're not going to outgun it because there's another 6 small pulses waiting for you to try.

Centurions have small hitboxes and can potentially ( and usually do ) go faster than Novas which for most people makes them harder to kill than other mediums, but good aim and highly focused damage go a long way to fixing that little problem.
Novas have giant hitboxes and are slower than most mechs their size which makes them probably the easiest medium to kill, but that won't matter as long as you hit your targets hard enough to kill them before they kill you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users