19 replies to this topic

#1 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

Mastered my GI about two days ago. Should I get Adv. Seismic for when I am brawling/last man standing (both are kind of frequent), or should I get Target Info Gathering? I have all the weapon modules I need for it.

Just wanted y'all's opinion.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 13 April 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#2 HelBound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

I find the Target Gathering useful for Gauss/brawler builds. That timing boost helps get fire down range right where it needs to be for maximum damage.

#3 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

radar derp and seismic are your new bff

#4 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:23 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 14 April 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

radar derp and seismic are your new bff

I don't think I'll need Radar Deprivation since I'm mobile enough to escape most enemies.

#5 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:14 PM

I suggest that if you are using the Grid Iron with the gauss, you should take radar derp-perversion, seismic sensor level two, and the advanced zoom module. Personally, I think that radar derp and seismic are basically mandatory. However with the Grid Iron you would ideally be engaging from long-ish range, meaning that seismic becomes a tad bit less necessary. Conversely I honk that the advanced zoom module is nearly mandatory for gauss or ERPPC sniper builds.

So yeah, I don't know what modules you currently have on it, but I would go with radar derp, advanced zoom, and either seismic, sensor range, or target info gathering, with seismic still being my first choice.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up deciding on.

EDIT:

View PostDavidHurricane, on 14 April 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

I don't think I'll need Radar Deprivation since I'm mobile enough to escape most enemies.

Wait a minute - mobile? In a Grid Iron? You must not be running stock then, right? Cause the stock 64 kph if I remember correctly is not what I would call mobile, and certainly not enough to get into cover when you hear Betty say you've got incoming missiles. This is only my opinion - you may disagree - and that's fine. Or perhaps your play-style allows the GI speed to be adequate. But I would guess you must be running a larger XL engine at least. Is that the case?

Just to be clear, the purpose of radar dep is so that the instant you get behind cover the enemy loses their lock on you, making their missiles go to your last known location instead of where you are now. Otherwise the lock is retained for a short period of time even after they lose line of sight, allowing their missiles to seek you out even behind cover.

Edited by grendeldog, 14 April 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#6 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:08 AM

View Postgrendeldog, on 14 April 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

EDIT:
Wait a minute - mobile? In a Grid Iron? You must not be running stock then, right? Cause the stock 64 kph if I remember correctly is not what I would call mobile, and certainly not enough to get into cover when you hear Betty say you've got incoming missiles. This is only my opinion - you may disagree - and that's fine. Or perhaps your play-style allows the GI speed to be adequate. But I would guess you must be running a larger XL engine at least. Is that the case?

Just to be clear, the purpose of radar dep is so that the instant you get behind cover the enemy loses their lock on you, making their missiles go to your last known location instead of where you are now. Otherwise the lock is retained for a short period of time even after they lose line of sight, allowing their missiles to seek you out even behind cover.

I can't access my smurfy data on it, but I am fairly sure I am running the maximum XL and it's (obviously) tweaked out which lets me hit a nice 94.4. I mostly snipe, so I am always near cover or the back of my group. If I am not sniping I am brawling, but I rarely stay in the open or away from cover for prolonged periods of time in this Mech, which is why I don't find Radar Dep. to be something I'd need since I could just use a rock/my allies :D.

#7 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:17 AM

The only ones I use on the GI are target info gathering and the Level 5 GR Cooldown.

Seismic is always handy but like you said, you're usually far away sniping. Can still be good to let you know when to move out if enemies get too close though.

Edited by PowerOfNapes, 15 April 2015 - 06:19 AM.

#8 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 15 April 2015 - 04:08 AM, said:

I can't access my smurfy data on it, but I am fairly sure I am running the maximum XL and it's (obviously) tweaked out which lets me hit a nice 94.4. I mostly snipe, so I am always near cover or the back of my group. If I am not sniping I am brawling, but I rarely stay in the open or away from cover for prolonged periods of time in this Mech, which is why I don't find Radar Dep. to be something I'd need since I could just use a rock/my allies :D.

That's cool, I always thought it made a lot more sense to drop the SRM + ammo and put in a larger engine; a 64 kph sniper is one very dead sniper. I personally find radar perversion to be the most useful module of the game - though seismic possibly ties with it - but I think it's cool that there's enough depth in this game to allow a play-style where radar derp isn't required!

#9 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

XL GI... with gauss... a bold individual indeed.

#10 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:02 AM

View PostTim East, on 21 April 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

It works well. I rarely die from the Gauss explosion.

#11 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostTim East, on 21 April 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

Personally, I feel that the GI does well with the XL - just not the XL that comes with the mech as stock. With a higher rated XL you can have more ammo and move much, much faster, which is critical for a sniper. The tradeoff is that you lose the SRM - but that's not really a tradeoff because what real use is an SRM to a gauss sniper?

---

David, you said you're running the max engine, so that's gotta be an XL275. How do you like it? I'm about |--| that close to buying one to go with both my GI and my soon to be purchased 4G (I know, I know, XL hunch, etc). What other weapons do you run and how much ammo? I'm looking at 3 ML plus the gauss, with five tons of ammo, a gauss cooldown module, a gauss range module, and then either a medium las range or cooldown module, plus radar dep and targetting modules.

#12 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

Target Info Gathering is useful every time you see an enemy.

Seismic is only useful at short range.

Take Target Info unless you're a very brawl-centric build. The only time Seismic truly shines is when 1) you're a brawler and 2) you're using weapons that can't be reliably aimed on a specific component anyway(SRMs). And even then, Target Info will usually be the more useful choice. The other use for Seismic is if you're playing "hardscope" mode - camping a single spot and sniping away. But that's not a very wise playstyle in MWO anyway.

#13 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:03 PM

View Postgrendeldog, on 22 April 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

David, you said you're running the max engine, so that's gotta be an XL275. How do you like it? I'm about |--| that close to buying one to go with both my GI and my soon to be purchased 4G (I know, I know, XL hunch, etc).

Griffin-3M
Shadowhawk-5M
Shadowhawk "Gray Death"
Wolverine-6K Champion [note - NOT the standard Wolverine-6K]
Wolverine-7K
Highlander "Heavy Metal"

All of those come with an XL 275 pre-installed. So if you're looking to level up Griffins, Shadowhawks, or Wolverines, or if you're planning on buying a Heavy Metal, just get the relevant 'Mech instead. It'll save you quite a bit of money in the end.

#14 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

View Postgrendeldog, on 22 April 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

David, you said you're running the max engine, so that's gotta be an XL275. How do you like it? I'm about |--| that close to buying one to go with both my GI and my soon to be purchased 4G (I know, I know, XL hunch, etc). What other weapons do you run and how much ammo? I'm looking at 3 ML plus the gauss, with five tons of ammo, a gauss cooldown module, a gauss range module, and then either a medium las range or cooldown module, plus radar dep and targetting modules.

I wouldn't use XL on a brawler. Sniping, the XL works great, 400 damage is an average match now. (I still die a lot but I normally get at least one kill and 40 damage.) I run this config in my GI.

Definitely install both of the Gauss Weapon Modules. You might not notice the range (since you're far away) but you will definitely notice the RoF (Rate of Fire) improvement. If you plan to be running the build at medium to close ranges, definitely go for Radar Deprivation. Otherwise grab an Advanced Zoom. If you plan to master and get the three Module Slots then I'd advise the Advanced Target Range or whatever it's called. It helps snipe.

For the 4G I'd recommend something like this. Pretty standard, I run my 4G with a similar build (but AC/10 cause I'm too cheap to buy the Mech I'll show you in a sec). Modules, probably Advanced Seismic Sensors and Radar Deprivation with AC/20 Cooldown and Medium Laser Range. That'll give your lasers a medium ranged edge and your AC/20 some speed. For your Mastery Slot, I'd say grab a Target Info Gathering so you know where to shoot or 360 Degree Target Retention so you can brawl 360 degrees.

But, you'd really have some fun in this HBK-4H. The AC/10, as you may already know, has a good RoF and damage, while still dealing some good screenshake. Add the AC/10 Cooldown and AC/10 Range modules and the Mech and you'll have a delightfully terrifying Mech. I'd recommend the same modules as the 4G in terms of Mech Modules. Although this one has a technically lower DPS than the 4G, the psycological side of this Mech is hilarious. AC/10s scare people.

View PostBloodweaver, on 22 April 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

Griffin-3M
Shadowhawk-5M
Shadowhawk "Gray Death"
Wolverine-6K Champion [note - NOT the standard Wolverine-6K]
Wolverine-7K
Highlander "Heavy Metal"

All of those come with an XL 275 pre-installed. So if you're looking to level up Griffins, Shadowhawks, or Wolverines, or if you're planning on buying a Heavy Metal, just get the relevant 'Mech instead. It'll save you quite a bit of money in the end.

True, but, the GI has 2/2/2 Modules Slots while the SHDs, WVRs, and the HNG-HM have 1/2/2. The Shadow Hawks do have general ballistics/general lasers quirks, but the GI has specifically Gauss quirks. The Wolverines have no ballistic quirks at all. The Heavy Metal is more versatile Harpoint wise and carries general ballistics quirks, but is slow. We're talking fast, Gauss-Rifle sniping Mechs here.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 22 April 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#15 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 22 April 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

True, but, the GI has 2/2/2 Modules Slots while the SHDs, WVRs, and the HNG-HM have 1/2/2. The Shadow Hawks do have general ballistics/general lasers quirks, but the GI has specifically Gauss quirks. The Wolverines have no ballistic quirks at all. The Heavy Metal is more versatile Harpoint wise and carries general ballistics quirks, but is slow. We're talking fast, Gauss-Rifle sniping Mechs here.

The point is that buying a 'Mech that already has the XL engine you want, then leveling it and selling it down the road, is better for your C-Bills than just buying the engine itself. You're actually getting a discounted engine price if you do this. If you happen to be interested in Griffins, Wolverines, or Shadowhawks anyway -i.e., you intend to buy three variants of one of them and bring them to Elite/Master level- then buying the engine alone becomes double wasteful.

XLs on Hunchbacks are totally viable, BTW. Don't be a scaredy-cat, and don't listen to the Smurfy theorists. The HBK is already an agile chassis; bringing its engine rating up to 275 lets you move like Muhammad Ali, and using an XL lets you do this while bringing the big guns(apart from an AC/20 of course). Whenever I tried XLs on HBKs I did fantastically, even before quirks. Now that it gets INSANE durability quirks to its hunch (the RT is actually stronger than the CT now) this is even more viable, especially on the -4H and -4J models.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 22 April 2015 - 06:46 PM.

#16 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:11 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 22 April 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

I wouldn't use XL on a brawler. Sniping, the XL works great, 400 damage is an average match now. (I still die a lot but I normally get at least one kill and 40 damage.) I run this config in my GI.

Definitely install both of the Gauss Weapon Modules. You might not notice the range (since you're far away) but you will definitely notice the RoF (Rate of Fire) improvement. If you plan to be running the build at medium to close ranges, definitely go for Radar Deprivation. Otherwise grab an Advanced Zoom. If you plan to master and get the three Module Slots then I'd advise the Advanced Target Range or whatever it's called. It helps snipe.

For the 4G I'd recommend something like this. Pretty standard, I run my 4G with a similar build (but AC/10 cause I'm too cheap to buy the Mech I'll show you in a sec). Modules, probably Advanced Seismic Sensors and Radar Deprivation with AC/20 Cooldown and Medium Laser Range. That'll give your lasers a medium ranged edge and your AC/20 some speed. For your Mastery Slot, I'd say grab a Target Info Gathering so you know where to shoot or 360 Degree Target Retention so you can brawl 360 degrees.

But, you'd really have some fun in this HBK-4H. The AC/10, as you may already know, has a good RoF and damage, while still dealing some good screenshake. Add the AC/10 Cooldown and AC/10 Range modules and the Mech and you'll have a delightfully terrifying Mech. I'd recommend the same modules as the 4G in terms of Mech Modules. Although this one has a technically lower DPS than the 4G, the psycological side of this Mech is hilarious. AC/10s scare people.

Yeah I have my GI elited but not mastered yet, though my 4P and SP are mastered and I have unlocked master modules for heavies and mediums.

The critical thing about the gauss range module is that the gauss has the threefold range damage reduction thing going on. So if you're engaging at super long range, you'll want that range boost to try and get it within the middle of the damage falloff (10 instead of 5). Ideally - at least IMO - I would want to use the majority of my ammo within the effective range so as to deal 15 instead of 10 or even worse 5, and that gets boosted too, so that's nice as well. I have advanced zoom on it currently and I think it's a really good fit.

As for the XL 4G, I intend to grab both the 4G and 4H since I love Hunchbacks so much, they're cheap as all get-out, and I have a stack of C-bills sitting around. With the XL 4G I intend to replicate the build from that one Kon vid - AC10, 2 MG, XL engine, front-loaded armor. Whether or not I am even remotely successful I do not know, as I can see how a really good comp player can run a risky build like that, whereas I may have a much worse time of it. But I'm grabbing an XL275 for the Grid as it is, so I'll have the engine sitting around anyway.

I'll probably end up reverting to a normal AC/20 STD build, so that the AC10 and 20 end up on the Hunchbacks that have quirks for those weapons specifically, but I just can't help myself from at least giving the super-speed AC10 / MG build at least a few tries.

EDIT: https://youtu.be/ZLEOf9G4jQc is the video for the build I'm talking about. It just looks too much like a stupid amount of fun to pass up!

Edited by grendeldog, 22 April 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#17 Drakkith

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:48 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 14 April 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

Stop right there. You need Radar Deprivation. End of story. Avoiding LRM's, breaking locks from streak-crows, keeping people from getting target info on you, being able to juke someone around a building... radar deprivation is amazing.

#18 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:21 AM

As long as you're confident in your aim I'd take info gathering. During a brawl it's invaluable for quickly scanning targets for a heavy or assault with an open torso.

#19 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

Do not underestimate MPL for GI, 350m (module) effective range pretty surprising for enemy.

#20 Mauadib

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

View PostVlad Striker, on 05 May 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

Do not underestimate MPL for GI, 350m (module) effective range pretty surprising for enemy.

Yea that MPL boost is awesome which is why I run two MPL on my GI with the gauss.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...772de2513b3c1a7

yes that is 70 shots and I find I end up with 10-15 after a medium length match pretty often. I like ammo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users