New Starter Advice

10 replies to this topic

#1 CLAN MONKEY

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:57 AM

Hello fellow Clanners.

I'm new to MWO, but have played BT/MW since table top (I still have it in the loft!).

I've dabbled with IS, but seem to get on better with Clan mechs so I've gone full Clan now.

I have a Stormcrow and a Mist Lynx and for CW I've been dropping with trial Hellbringer (for ECM cover) and Gladiator . . .

I'm saving up for a Hellbringer as I find the trial version painfully hot to run, I feel a custom build would suit me better and get more out of the mech and still retain ECM to further help the team, or should I be buying more Stormcrows to elite and master, you thoughts please???

#2 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:00 AM

I'm all for the underdog, but when it comes to clans your best bet would be to master the stormcrows. They are good at basic, they become even better when mastered.
Before buying a mech you should have twice the amount of money that it costs, so you can freely customize it if you need to.

So play around, enjoy the game and get many C-Bills first. Then go for mastering one of the best mechs around (stormcrow) and go from there to other mechs.

Edit - for now, nothing prevents you from having 2 or 3 stormcrows on your dropdeck. So master them and use them.

Edited by FlipOver, 14 April 2015 - 03:01 AM.

#3 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

The Hellbringer is probably the most useful CW clan mech. The CW style of play fits it extremely well.

#4 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

Hellbringer, my goto mech, 7 medium pulse, ecm and active probe, up the armour, near full.

I do this setup, but the right torso is whichever one has the yaw rate quirk on it, not the Prime:

HBR-PRIME

And for my Stormcrows, I go with this setup:

SCR-PRIME

Edited by Uminix, 14 April 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#5 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

Elite your Stormcrows for sure.

#6 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

it's almost always better to focus on souping up a mech (engine, weapons, whatever) than to buy a new mech, and almost always better to buy a mech variant with an eye to eliting what you've got than it is to diversify with an entirely new mech. especially as a new player limited by mechbays. If you're comfortable with your current mech's loadout, I definitely recommend you buy stormcrows and elite what you've got. the difference in play will be enormous, and the stormcrow also happens to be one of the best mechs in the game and by far the best medium mech.

Edited by YCSLiesmith, 14 April 2015 - 10:24 AM.

#7 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:31 AM

View PostUminix, on 14 April 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

Please, for the love of God, don't put LRMs on your Stormcrow, a mech with some of the best energy hardpoints in the entire game

#8 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

Honestly I wish new players would not start with cw. You will just be letting your team down do terrible, not likely very fun when you lose all four mechs whithout doing much more than a few hundred damage a lose in cw is costly for your side since we wait for long periods of time just to find a match and often I imagine the newbies will shoot at friendlies.

Unless you have a knack at adapting quickly to games and can do decent right off the bat wish new players would start with normal matchmaking where losing isn't that big of a loss.

#9 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

Well, there is a reason indeed if CW is considered end-game content after all.

#10 CLAN MONKEY

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:28 AM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 14 April 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

Honestly I wish new players would not start with cw. You will just be letting your team down do terrible, not likely very fun when you lose all four mechs whithout doing much more than a few hundred damage a lose in cw is costly for your side since we wait for long periods of time just to find a match and often I imagine the newbies will shoot at friendlies.

Unless you have a knack at adapting quickly to games and can do decent right off the bat wish new players would start with normal matchmaking where losing isn't that big of a loss.

I fully understand where you are coming from, but it is called Community Warfare, not 'End game warfare', I think the system is broken not the new players breaking the system.

From the some of the games last night in CW even PUG vs PUG the team seemed to have no will to even try and win, just sit and try to farm C-bills. Even when I suggested to push in together, they aren't that organized, I was told to shut up.

CW is more interesting than normal death matches, if new players can't play the interesting parts they won't stick around long.

I don't and won't be doing that much CW, but when I am there I'll be doing all I can to help the team.

#11 CLAN MONKEY

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:33 AM

I bought a Hellbringer, just to try out some builds and see how I get on with it.

Then I will decide on which I like best to focus on, I really like the Mist Lynx at the moment and love pestering big mechs.

That's for your input guys.

PS no LRM's on my Stormcrow, just good old laser vomit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users