How's This Build?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Mechfu Master

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

Hello.

It's been awhile since I've played, and I'm getting ready to jump back into this game.

A have a build though, and I'm not sure if it's good or not.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4616caec35e484a

So... is it bad, good, or in the middle?

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

Quite in the middle. It's a good build, but it's not maximally optimised. If you wanted to optimise it further I'd get rid of the LRMs and equip a PPC somewhere instead with the leftover tonnage. Reason being: no quirks for LRMs, but it does have quirks for PPCs. Plus, putting in LRMs adds this huge launcher to your right torso, making it a huge and obvious target that people will more than likely aim for. If they take that out, there goes all your medium lasers with it. And also you have seven medium lasers equipped... if you fire all seven, you'll get ghost heat, so you'd have to split them into two weapon groups somehow.

But aside from the nitpicking, I can see somebody being very successful with this build. It's not an LRM boat, but it can provide light LRM support, while still having most of its tonnage dedicated to being a front line assault. Plus, you can use that exact same engine in the fully optimised build if you ever want to try it.

Go for it, I think it'll work fine. :)

Edited by Tarogato, 14 April 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#3 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:11 PM

I'm not a fan of 2 tons of ammo for a single LRM launcher. If you want to bring LRMs, at least bring the ammo to make them worth it.

Also, the armor stripping is poorly chosen. You want to max armor on every important section. The lack of heat efficiency is pretty crippling, too. Unless your build is very fast and agile, you generally get more damage out of heat efficiency than you do more alpha, especially when the heat load gets pushed into one- or two-volley overheat territory.

Personally, I'd do something like the following:

BNC-3S

You get 6 MLs (max without a ghost heat penalty) and an AC20 with max armor except on the shield arm (twist to get that empty arm in the way of incoming fire between shots), with a LL on the other arm for longer ranged tagging (single hardpoint arms need a big gun to really be worth it).

You lose some speed and your indirect fire capability, but pick up heat efficiency and direct firepower, as well as survivability.

Personally, I'd go with more DHS and a LL rather than ES, a bigger engine, and a single PPC, even with the quirks, which are terrible for using PPCs anyway.

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:23 PM

I would suggest ditching the one LRM launcher without Artemis, and removing some lasers to make the thing more heat efficient. Then either remove Endo Steel to add a ton of heatsinks everywhere, or use some LPLs as is. In addition, the maximum engine is a serious waste of tonnage for the minimal benefits it provides. 2xLPL+3xML+AC20, STD335 would be my choice.

Edited by Modo44, 14 April 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#5 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:30 PM

i'm a noob so don't listen to me but if i wanted ac20 and lasers on her i would make something like this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...409bfaf21baec6c

large lasors instead of lrm/ppc for easy sniping on the long distances, supported by ml on the closer distances and also ac20 since you want it, almost full armor except some armor was stripped from the empty hand

may be a bit hot, so you may want to lose 1-2 ml/some right arm armor for heat sink(s), it needs testing with a heat simulator which im too lazy to do :3

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 14 April 2015 - 08:50 PM.

#6 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:35 PM

I don't mind running small numbers of LRMs with low ammo count. I don't know much about the Banshee though as well. I'll presume the person who mentions the increase to that side torso hit box knows what he is talking about, as the Battlemaster (1G at least) does the same thing with the right side shoulder.

My biggest suggestion would be to remove a med laser and use that tonnage saved for more armor. It might even be more beneficial to even reduce the LRM15 to an LRM10 and try to change some of the Med lasers into MPLs. Same heat, slightly shorter range, better damage and better beam duration.

Without knowing your skills overall, I can't suggest too much else. Without knowing the mech itself and taking this design for a spin, I also can't help much more with that either. On paper, it looks like a decent start, depending upon what you are looking for.

Something I'd be more tempted to try running first. I tried to keep with your original design purpose, but...
I changed the LRM15 to an LRM10. It's not a focus, and I find a 10 can be meaningful enough. (up to preference).
From there, I moved your LRM ammo from your CT (a place that will get shot a lot) and into your legs. From there, I moved some AC20 ammo into your right torso with the AC20. (The AC20 should crit pad your ammo well enough I think.)
Then I took out all the med lasers. I placed a LPL into the CT for zombie abilities. I also paired this up with a set of MPLs, one in the head and one in the side torso. Between the CT LPL and head MPL, you could be a walking CT and still be able to deal decent damage. (If you are placing a Std engine, might as well try to make a build that can zombie.)
With the rest of the weight saved, I shifted armor around and added some extra armor. Beefed out the legs some more mostly. Try not to place ammo into your legs that you stripped of armor. It's asking for trouble.
With the weapons, sometimes less is more. It should help your heat management, and you can still deal a lot of damage depending upon how you use the mech.
(I'd like to note, I have not tested this design. It's all theory on paper.)

My suggestion if you play this mech (your original concept or mine), don't treat that LRM launcher like it's a main weapon. It isn't. Don't sit back and LRM till you run out of ammo. Use it while you are on the move and trying to get your other weapons to bear on a target. Also don't forget to twist when people are shooting you. If you can soak some damage in those arms, all the better.

A final suggestion, you can also always downgrade your engine for more tonnage to add into weapons. You don't need the max sized engine on an assault. A 325 or even 300 should be fast enough for a decent assault. This is up for preference, but don't be afraid to consider moving a little slower.

#7 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

Just wanted to also drop this by. Maybe it will be helpful.

My Battlemaster 1G is set up in a fairly similar manner. Maybe you can find inspiration from this? This build has worked very well for me so far.

#8 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:04 AM

Decide what range you want to be good at, and do it. Trying to create a mech that fights at any range means you will be absolute outclassed at every range. Jack of all trades just doesn't work here.

If you wanted to do short range on that mech, I'd do something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0dd1978513ceb3c

If you wanted to do long range on that mech, I'd do something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d3fdc22e25f3833

If you wanted to do mid range on that mech, I'd do something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cc09c3a25189a15

The idea is that you build around the range you want to fight at, then find ways to put yourself in that range without exposing yourself to enemy fire. I will say that in pub games, it's typically much more difficult to get a short range mech into it's optimal range. If you manage to do it, you can wreck, but sometimes you just end up hung out to dry.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

View PostBanditman, on 15 April 2015 - 05:04 AM, said:

Decide what range you want to be good at, and do it. Trying to create a mech that fights at any range means you will be absolute outclassed at every range. Jack of all trades just doesn't work here.

I do see your point, but I'd just like to remark here that I've had very good results in mixed range mechs. Sometimes, it's about finding that balancing point for yourself. Then again, there are a lot of merits to doing a more focused mech as well. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. If a mix design can force a focused design out of it's strengths, it wins. If a focused design can stay within it's focus against a mixed design, well... The focused design wins.

This depends upon the pilot, their play style, and what they want to do with their mech. Each has it's merits. Each has it's weaknesses.

#10 Mechfu Master

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:27 PM

Thank you all for your opinions and builds.

I will test them all and see how they work for me.

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostMatoi Ryuko, on 15 April 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

Thank you all for your opinions and builds.

I will test them all and see how they work for me.

Don't feel compelled to try all of them... Just whatever ones seem to interest you. (Because there are a lot of builds posted here already...)

#12 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

To the OP, note that there is a category under Guides & Strategies > Battlemechs > Assault Mech Builds. Where you can post your build and maybe get more information on it.

#13 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:51 AM

I'd dump the LRMs and go for more heatsinks in their place, that mech looks a little spicy and LRMs are dead weight anyhow.

#14 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:02 PM

I do have some builds that will use a single LRM launcher, but those sorts of builds are pretty specialized and I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner. As others have said, that's a hot build!

This one is still a little on the warm side but will be much friendlier for you!

Edited by Voivode, 17 April 2015 - 12:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users