#41 Zvolimir the Blackhand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 388 posts
  • LocationThe Forbidden Zone

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostHarathan, on 16 April 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

If you're going to go with complete freedom for all, that also means freedom for Liao and Marik to not have a mandatory ceasefire with each other.

I think we'll decide on which ceasefires we keep, and the wisdom in doing so.

Interested in our border policies much? Don't fret...the map reset isn't going to help you, DavRat.

#42 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:16 PM

I'm not arguing for locking anything down (there's that reading comprehension thing again). I want to incentivize more dynamic gameplay that encourages more ClanvClan and more ISvIS. Alliances can be fun and part of an interesting metagame, but alliances based simply on "You have clan mechs, I too have clan mechs. We are friends now" is boring. Why can't there be a Steiner-Jade Falcon alliance? Why can't there be a Wolf-Jag alliance that crushes Ghost Bear? I want there to be reasons in-game to make these more of a possibility.

The Marik-Liao alliance was formed not specifically for lore reasons. It was formed because Davion started off by sticking to lore and trying to conquer everything. I like the Mariks and hope the alliance is created again, but I would never argue for it because "we should because that's how it was in lore".

As things are now, there is mechanically no difference between the IS houses. The only difference is those who have borders with clans and those who don't. I choose a House that didn't for a very specific reason. What I don't understand is why someone would choose a house that doesn't have clan border than want nothing more than to fight clans all day. That screams of insanity to me, but whatevs.

I will say that, separate from this debate, I do think that allowing all IS defend IS planets and all Clans defend Clan planets was a bad idea. Imagine someone new joins marik and then, without knowing better, spends all his days defending Kurita planets. He gets frustrated with Pugging and quits. NOW imagine if he spent all day defending Marik planets. His chances go up greatly of seeing more reliable Marik units. His chances go up of seeing familiar faces that he's played with before. His odds of having fun and sticking around are gonna be a lot better. In addition, this makes attacking and defending on those fronts a lot more organized and will cut the frustration those factions has at the beginning when planets were being lost because of group after group of pure pug gettin' stomped.

I have no doubts that the "defend all" feature will never be removed. People will scream and holler if it ever was. It is important though to recognize why it was a bad CW mechanic to avoid making a similar mistake.

View PostZvolimir the Blackhand, on 16 April 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

Interested in our border policies much? Don't fret...the map reset isn't going to help you, DavRat.

OH SNAP! Blackhand showing his Liao hand is strong.

Edited by Maxwell Albritten, 16 April 2015 - 02:17 PM.

#43 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:30 PM

View PostZvolimir the Blackhand, on 16 April 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

I think we'll decide on which ceasefires we keep, and the wisdom in doing so.

Not feeding you, troll.

#44 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:42 PM

View PostHarathan, on 16 April 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

Not feeding you, troll.

They're doing it wrong anyway.

The dominant language isn't Dolanspeak.
It's English officially, with French being vastly common and German being kinda in there for some reason.

Effective Davion trolling is missing a lot of French puns. >.> That and autocannon humor.
Like for example...

Why aren't there any mechs on the Davion front line?
All the pilots wanted to use the base's new autocannons.
Posted Image

"OMG the barrel is bigger than a Stalker!"
>.>

I'll let someone else do the French puns.

#45 Stoneblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 574 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCCAF Feng Yun

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:44 PM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 16 April 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

I didn't realize JF shared a border with those factions. My mistake then.

But honestly, Kurita is the best example of not following this trend and the size and activity of some Kurita units helps that. As I said before, if CW had much larger populations then my argument would be moot. I have the viewpoint that it would be easier to add incentive to more ISvsIS and more ClanvsClan than it would be to boost CW numbers and by adding such incentives would make the game more fun and add increase CW numbers.

Check his sig, he is apart of NKVA: the as a unit switched to JF to get the free ****.

#46 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

French-Dolanese:

puorqou l dvaino peluriat com un bbéé? prac q'il étti un bbéé.

Edited by Maxwell Albritten, 17 April 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#47 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

To help give southern houses more options: add the Star Adders and Steel Vipers and put one on the Laio/Davion border and the other on the Laio/Marik border.

#48 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

View Postvandalhooch, on 17 April 2015 - 02:07 PM, said:

To help give southern houses more options: add the Star Adders and Steel Vipers and put one on the Laio/Davion border and the other on the Laio/Marik border.

Nope. As I have explained in length this would actually be a reduction in options as we'd then just fall into the "ISvClan only!" mindset that pollutes the majority of the player base. All you'd be doing is making the rimward houses a mirror image of the coreward houses. Right now we have houses that border clans and houses that do not. That is two options. Your "solution" would make it so there are just houses that border clans. That is one option, which is one less than two. Not to mention that the idea that the coreward houses "lack options" as of right now is a false premise to begin with.

Plus, adding more factions would further dilute the player base for the existing factions and make matches even harder to find.

Edited by Maxwell Albritten, 17 April 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#49 Crockdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

I can safely say that neither Night's Scorn nor NKVA will become party to a new or old Star League. We will honor agreements with other Houses that House Kurita makes but not anything Star League. We won't go hostile after it ... if it leaves us alone we can leave it alone (which didn't happen this round exactly they tried to gang up and it didn't work out well for them).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users