Proposal For Op-4 Unit. Please Chime In!

10 replies to this topic

#1 Deristul

• Pip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGeorgia US

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

Okay gentlemen I'll get right to it. Earlier, right after logging out, I was regaling a friend of mine with a story from my time in the Army. With mech warrior still rattling around in my brain it clicked. Why not have a small group from Marik that can start alt accounts and setup an opposition force. From what I understand, several of our better pilots have multiple accounts. Simply roll clan for a week at a time for training purposes. We can also of course run op-4 as IS to practice inner sphere combat if we feel we need it. It seems very viable and we could add a channel in TS for it.

I will volunteer. I am familiar enough with clan mechs and the game in general to build at least one decent rig fast and trials can fill any gaps.

I was thinking of how I and the rest of us can improve. I like how Bear put it, I want them to see purple and immediately lose heart. I wanna be a good sport, but I want to be a deadly combatant slightly more.

So, in a nut shell.

What do you guys think (looking especially at you leadership roles), can we manage it without too much trouble?

Do other feel this is worth it. (I happen to think it's brilliant and should be done already)

When can we do it?

That's it. I just happen to know from experience there's no better way to train than to train against the enemy's tactics and equipment.

I was in Ft.Polk and ran op-4 for all sorts of units rotating in to train. I drove an apc made up to look like a BMP. I was also able to see the hind-d in action as we actually have a few for this purpose believe it or not. So if using this strategy worked then it should work for us now.

respectfully, Deristul

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

the best way to learn about the clans is to fight them. training against fellow mariks would be less productive than that imo.

#3 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:15 PM

I'm actually for this. Training against clan mechs and known meta builds in a controlled environment can be very beneficial to some players looking to improve their game.

#4 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 15 April 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

the best way to learn about the clans is to fight them. training against fellow mariks would be less productive than that imo.

Yep, I've learned a lot with my time in steiner.

#5 Cleaver404

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:09 AM

I'd also be willing to do this as I'd like to do some drops from that side and just see what changes, what works, what seems weaker than what we tend to do, etc. Euro-timezone here, so not sure we'll have much overlap, but I like the idea.

#6 Deristul

• Pip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGeorgia US

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

Hmmm, I can understand why you would feel like its less gainful than actually fighting in real drops. However, I also feel that by training new players, or anyone that wants, we will increase our dps dramatically.

I don't know how robust the private match system is: does it allow you to choose the map?

Even if it doesn't it still allows us to train against a group of mechs of our choosing. We can choose to train against a particular known strategy or tactic. An example would be training a group of players to setup a screen line. This is a basic tactic. Training to develop from screen line to firing line is another. Learning how to rush against competent players.

People are also intimidated by CW and spends a lot of time "pubbing". We could take these players past that so they can do better in pubs and be viable for CW. It would be good for me, I would rather test ourselves against known tactics that die on Twitch 2 effin times now. There is an unconsidered aspect here I think some people may have missed. If no one but us sees us die, then all pubs and CW will only see us winning. This can demoralize people before the fight even starts! It's all friendly yes, but I still want to have every advantage, even if it's only in their heads. I always consider results. All we need is 12 players confident enough to run the op-4 company.

And as a bonus we can pit Sting and Brawling bear against each other. (you could get him back for all those back shots)

Just my 2. GTG See you on the battle field.

#7 Evogenesis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

What we need to do is create the Allison Mechwarrior Institute to bring players up to speed. It should be comprehensive covering all the basics (movement, positioning, aiming, heat) along with advanced topics (CW drop decks, map awareness, drop calling, etc..) and practical exercises. I'd also be willing to help out and join your op-4 company Deristul.

New players to the game are an excellent source of recruits for the FWLM. Graduates can then be posted to the various loyalist units bolstering and stabilizing our numbers against the population imbalances that can occur when large merc units switch contracts.

#8 SilentShart

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

The current clan trial mechs are a overheating metal cans. That by itself is discouraging for pilots opting for clan mechs. Also using the trial mechs as fill ins, did that and does it suck. But you do have a good idea.

#9 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:05 AM

I already have a Clan alt unit set-up for training purposes and to occasionally play the "bad guy" whenever the mood strikes me. PM me for details, or we can discuss it on the forum at the House Marik website.

http://housemarik.enjin.com/

#10 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

Why would we need alt accounts in the clans? We can practice in the public and private queues

#11 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:11 PM

If you Purple Pigeons are ever looking for some REAL PRACTICE, send me a PM or come find me on Strana Mechty TS3.

Smoke Adders are always around and looking for fights! I often have Premium Time running and love using the PVT Lobbies! With the new features coming to the pvt lobby later this month you can even have two spectators (one each side) watching and critiquing your matches. Even running capture software for later review!

Good luck in your endeavors!

Seyla!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users