31 replies to this topic

#21 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

View Postsycocys, on 20 April 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

So having someone skilled and geared to use them as a support in a drop where the rest of their team is front loaded can be a great boon by lobbing shakers and armor strippers over the top adding dps where there was none. It reduces the accuracy of the fire on your front line guys and makes the ttk seconds faster at the least.

I believe I explained their effective use once already. If you can't comprehend that brawling range is not the same as close or long range or that people in the back line can lob over the front line while positioning then I don't really see any need for you to add any further to this discussion, please carry on with your ranting elsewhere.

#22 percolated1

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUpper left coast of the USA

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:13 PM

I've had bad luck trying to do lurm support in CW. I tried my trusty KTO-18, but my high ammo payload worked against me, the phenomenon the OP mentioned where you get 800-1000 damage but find yourself with half the team dead and three mechs to drop rings a bell.

If you simply must lurm pug CW, something like CW lurm brawler might work, where you sacrifice about half of the ten ton plus lurm payload most KTO-18 guys run for TAG, pulse laser backups, better heat efficiency, and AMS to help swat down a little splat on the front line. The idea is you hang close like the OP said, and chainfire anything you can hold a lock on. Definitely pack your own UAV, they die quickly in CW.

If you're like me and like lurms to make up for a pedestrian computer, pulse lasers work awesome in CW and are spec friendlier than most direct fire guns. You can pack a bunch of 'em onto two 80-ton assaults, with room for a mix of light/med, small mediums, to make up the rest of the deck.

#23 Nazar24

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 94 posts
  • LocationItalia

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

View Postsycocys, on 15 April 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

[...] when using LRMs if you choose to as a support weapon, or pre-determined boat - they are about 500 times more effective in the 200-500 meter range than anything over that. The time to hit is greatly reduced giving the target much less time to duck for cover or break LOS. Ideally you'll want to be about 50 meters behind your brawlers at the most so that you can cycle in to soak damage while they cool off.

This is what i got from your words

Posted Image

the hunch can't shoot direct fire weapon because he will hit a friendly, or the terrain, so he use lrm that can lob over the heads of the friendlies and hit the baddies, more dps, shake, damage than a direct fire mech in the same conditions.

But...

Posted Image

If you can't hit with direct fire weapon, it's time to relocate yourself.
Take the high ground, close in, your choice.

Posted Image

the blue mech in the back, by moving to point C, can do more damage with direct fire, than lurming in point A or B or C.

Ton for ton, direct damage is going to crush lrms in CW.

I am not ranting, i am genuinely trying to make my point in why lrms are bad, and it has to be made clear in a post directed to new players that they are inferior in every aspect to d.f.w. and that there are no role that the later can't do better no matter the skill and the effort.

ps:I also know the difference between veteran and new, and i already said that any player that know what he is doing will be more effective than any lurm god in the field.
A good player with lrm, will be even better with a better weapon, at the same role.

Edited by Nazar24, 21 April 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#24 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

LRMs are useful ONLY IF:

1)You can jam enemy ecm BY URSELF to let it lock.
2)You can defend (passive+active) urself ALONE at last 1-1.

End of discussion.

#25 Nazar24

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 94 posts
  • LocationItalia

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

Given the current meta, where even rocks have their ecm, and given the fragility of an is lrm mech (not boat, mech) against the average stormcrow and timberwolf, th answer is never.

#26 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

Tips for CW as IS:

Buy a Firestarter-S, put some MWubs on it.
Buy a Thunderbolt-5SS, put more MWubs on it.
Buy a Thunderbolt-9SE, put some LWubs on it.
Buy a Stalker-4N, put some LLasers on it.

Radar derp on everything.

Simple, really.

#27 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

So you almost figured it out, but then you settled back into the non-thinking LCD method of play.

Figure out how much damage you do when you are second in line without a shot on that target versus how much you do lobbing lrms while you re-position *gasp* possibly even firing at another target with your main arsenal. (I know, firing at two targets zomg that shouldn't be possible - LRMs are so OP)

Then figure out the difference in damage your front man took when you were rocking that target with lrms AND kiting into position, versus how much damage that guy took when there was nothing impeding his shots.

#28 EldenLance

• PipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:19 AM

As for blinding and shaking - rapidfire ballistics do that allright. Before the quirks and ghost heat kicked in i used a jaggermech DD with 5x ac2s, that fired like a gaint machinegun and was "shaking the enemy into oblivion". In the same time the DRG-5N with 3 ac2s was quite capable, but then... the 1N.

Sriously - you can do a lot with this thing. Its a pinnacle of IS support weaponary right now. If I was a brawler pilot in a TDR-5SS with 7mpls(which happens sometimes) I would appriciate a support in form of 60t dragon 1N that deals pinpoint damage(making some nice breaches in components for me to cut off with my wub) and shakes the enemy rather then a 65t cat that shakes the enemy and splats some damage all over it only IF it has a target lock on that hellbringer. Its a question of reliability. I'd sooner trust my life to an UAC/5 then to such an unreliable weapon system like LRM. (And may I tell you that my uac-armed 5N has a couple of LPLs as a backup, so you see how likely is that).
Back to 1N and ballistics, while being a support mech it can handle itself allright in a brawl as well. It pretty much wins any pointblank duel against any of the clan hevies.
All you need to do is:
1 - point your AC's in the cockpir area.
2 - shoot in a displaced sequence.
3 - strafe. <-- this is the most importent part in the brawl. Dragon relies on agility, not the armor.

Thats it. It is both supressing AND damaging.

But there is some use to LRMs after all, though it is certanly not for those "new to CW". LRM mechs could be used by drop commanders. No, not bacause they can order some poor ravens to tag the targets for them. No. It is because LRMs are not demanding on mental recources. They allow you to shoot while not aiming too much, which in turn allows the commander to watch the minimap all the time, sometimes even switching to battlegrid without breaking the lock. And that is benifical for the whole team. (the said commander wont get much score though)

Edited by EldenLance, 22 April 2015 - 02:21 AM.

#29 Callinicus

• Pip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:51 AM

Hi!

I am not new in the game and playing CW from the starts, but I never was too "effective". Can somebody give me some advice, which mechs I should use in my drop on Tukkayyid? (Also how I should build them...)

I have theese:
https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

All are elit or master, I don't really have mech modules, just the consumable GXP advances. (All of them.)

Don't need to spam this forum with my problam, but if somebody have an idea send a PM to me please!

#30 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:03 AM

Messaged as requested. If you have further questions just reply and I'll get back to you. Or we can discuss it here if you like, because it could be good for new players to understand the components of a deck.

#31 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:53 AM

I'll add this to the notes at the start as well, but for modules it is extremely helpful to pick up at least 2 (preferably 4) Radar Deprivations.

12 mil c-bills is a fair bit, but it does pay off even if you only run them on the first 2 drops which is where most of the clan lrms are going to be out.

4 is obviously better because it does help with setting up blind spot positioning in the later parts of the match when you are down to purely brawling it out.

#32 Troopie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

At tukayyid ive seen people with lrms. If there is 4 lrm guys, match is already lost.
Others are fighting and lrm's, they waiting their first lock under 3-5 clann ecm's...
So I always prefer for new(er) guys, take real weapons and start learning to aim.
Just avoid shooting team mates.

After lurming your first proper mechs, how good you are with other weapons?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users