#23 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

Change my settings a little. Consistent 60fps in public drops - 40-60s in Community warfare (not sure why fps is lower in CW)

Posted Image

#24 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:36 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 04 June 2015 - 08:38 PM, said:

Change my settings a little...
IF you want to SNIPE at long distances, you should not reduce SHADOWS to LOW !
I would only do that as a BRAWLER ... as shadows of mechs hidden behind obstacles often help you to catch them when they peek around the corner, or allows you to notice enemy mechs earlier at greater distances.

Why have you set TEXTURING to VERY HIGH ?

Edited by Brother MEX, 04 June 2015 - 09:39 PM.

#25 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostBrother MEX, on 04 June 2015 - 09:36 PM, said:

IF you want to SNIPE at long distances, you should not reduce SHADOWS to LOW !
I would only do that as a BRAWLER ... as shadows of mechs hidden behind obstacles often help you to catch them when they peek around the corner, or allows you to notice enemy mechs earlier at greater distances.

Why have you set TEXTURING to VERY HIGH ?

We're talking about high level competitive play - not scrublord pug matches. I use shadows medium as a light to see them around corners, but if I'm long-ranging then shadows don't matter. Texturing just makes mechs look pretty - there is negliabel difference between med and very high.

#26 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

Lots of articles on gelid extreme: this is one of the best http://obengplus.com...ml#.VYUF8_lVhBd

#27 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:33 PM

I also underclock to reduce heat:

Posted Image

#28 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:01 PM

Went back to my original settings for best visuals while sniping:

Posted Image

IPS Panel installed with a 500gb Samsung 850 Evo - display is dramatically better. Dumped the hybrid - couldn't stand it. Overall the computer is $1400 with upgrades (CND)

Edited by MavRCK, 03 July 2015 - 10:01 PM.

#29 Xperimentor

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

I've had similar problems since the beta, I was hoping it'd be more optimized by now. Despite an i5 processor and 8 gigs of ram, the game runs at an annoying 20fps with a clear 1 second delay, even with all the in-game settings at minimum; it's near unplayable. My computer is only a year old (had to replace it recently) so it shouldn't be having any trouble with computing power; it can run crysis at high across the board with a stable 45fps. And my place is plenty ventilated; sadly the configuration details you provide appear to be gibberish since I'm not as tech-savy. But frustratingly, older forum posts that would be more relevant are blocked from comments now; I've been waiting for years for game improvement, but doesn't seem like there's any to be had for several more years for this kind of optimization :/

I've had similar problems since the beta, I was hoping it'd be more optimized by now. Despite an i5 processor and 8 gigs of ram, the game runs at an annoying 20fps with a clear 1 second delay, even with all the in-game settings at minimum; it's near unplayable. My computer is only a year old (had to replace it recently) so it shouldn't be having any trouble with computing power; it can run crysis at high across the board with a stable 45fps. And my place is plenty ventilated; sadly the configuration details you provide appear to be gibberish since I'm not as tech-savy. But frustratingly, older forum posts that would be more relevant are blocked from comments now; I've been waiting for years for game improvement, but doesn't seem like there's any to be had for several more years for this kind of optimization :/

#30 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:30 PM

View PostXperimentor, on 12 September 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

… sadly the configuration details you provide appear to be gibberish since I'm not as tech-savy.

Is this going someplace?

#31 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

View PostGoose, on 13 September 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

Is this going someplace?

I think "not as tech-savy" means "I can't copy and paste"...

:(

This computer and any variant of the Y50 ie with the new GTX960m will run MWO at 60 fps (in CW I've had some drops to 50 fps but still smooth etc). Anyone with a gpu better than the GTX 860m/960m will do better fps... BUT

The KEY is throttlestop and running the cpu at a constant speed.

#32 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

I changed the very high settings to high - I don't know why but I found the visuals to be more clear and the fps went up.

#33 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

Summary of my recommendations and a link to a good guide for MWO computers.

This is a great guide: Will this Play MWO? http://mwomercs.com/...play-mwo-mk-ii/

For laptops the key issues are:

1) CPU - even some i7s and most i5 or i3 cpus are dual-core! Make sure to check that the cpu is a quad core!
2) GPU - the minimum mobile gpu that plays at 60 fps / 1080p is the nvidia gtx 860m (the gtx 960m is a rebrand)
3) Thermal throttling - mobile cpus throttle down further than desktop cpus ie. from 2.5ghx from 3.5 ghx which is 1/3rd your fps! Using a throttling control program such as Throttlestop is a must! A consistent 3.2 ghz is more important than a fluctuating cpu between 2.5 - 3.5 ghz.

The best price/performance laptop I have researched over the past year is (still) the Lenovo Y50 with the 860m or 960m. About $1000 Canadian Dollars / $800 - 900 USD.

Feel free to copy and paste whatever information you would like from my guide: http://mwomercs.com/...710hq-gtx-860m/

Great guide. Well done.

MavRCK

Edited by MavRCK, 17 November 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#34 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

Apple Imac Users: Just an FYI - as an owner of the 27" imac i7 3770 - 680mx GTX - the apple imacs use a mobile cpu and are very heat sensitive -- as such, they will throttle as well. I used bootcamp to play MWO on my Imac and i highly suggest also using throttlestop.

#35 cool93

Rookie

• The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 17 November 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

Apple Imac Users: Just an FYI - as an owner of the 27" imac i7 3770 - 680mx GTX - the apple imacs use a mobile cpu and are very heat sensitive -- as such, they will throttle as well. I used bootcamp to play MWO on my Imac and i highly suggest also using throttlestop.

Glad to see this, as I run on a MacBook Pro laptop. I had to quit playing MWO about 1.5 years ago due to updates to the game that made my Dell Workstation unplayable.

I do not play MWO through bootcamp, instead I bought "Crossover" a program that is not an OS and also not an emulator. MWO is one of the programs (among hundreds) that run through it. It gives 2 errors on loading, and one warning that my graphics card is not approved. However, I assume there are a few other people out there who are stuck playing on a macbook laptop, and it was hard to figure out how to make it work.

Here are the specs for my mac:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

I am able to play at around 20 fps, but would be interested in how to run (if possible) the Throttle program and also if there is a way to see if all my cores are in use. I used to put a desk fan beside my computer, and even set my laptop on a wire cookie sheet
to keep it from heating the desk beneath. However, I've stopped doing that.

Any help on settings for this would be appreciated.

#36 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:01 PM

View Postcool93, on 17 November 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

Glad to see this, as I run on a MacBook Pro laptop. I had to quit playing MWO about 1.5 years ago due to updates to the game that made my Dell Workstation unplayable.

I do not play MWO through bootcamp, instead I bought "Crossover" a program that is not an OS and also not an emulator. MWO is one of the programs (among hundreds) that run through it. It gives 2 errors on loading, and one warning that my graphics card is not approved. However, I assume there are a few other people out there who are stuck playing on a macbook laptop, and it was hard to figure out how to make it work.

Here are the specs for my mac:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

I am able to play at around 20 fps, but would be interested in how to run (if possible) the Throttle program and also if there is a way to see if all my cores are in use. I used to put a desk fan beside my computer, and even set my laptop on a wire cookie sheet
to keep it from heating the desk beneath. However, I've stopped doing that.

Any help on settings for this would be appreciated.

Two issues:

1) you must use bootcamp - prob see huge increase in framerate
2) the gpu is the integrated intel -- likely iris 6100 or 5200 iris pro --- :(

you cannot play at retina resolutions and must downsize to 1080p or even lower 720p

#37 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

MWO Environment includes Crysis Shaders, which in turn chooses between SSDO at Very, and the "normal" SSAO at settings between Very and Low. SSDO is quite a bit more demanding …

MWO Shaders is actually Crysis Quality.

#38 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:41 PM

View PostPasiasty, on 20 April 2015 - 04:06 AM, said:

Good Lord... Thanks to that command i found out that my ram, for all those years, was running single-channel at 9Gb/s capacity... After replacing RAM its dual channel now with 17786 Mb/s (17Gb/s)!

What desktop are you using?
Even my MacBookPro 9,1 has better RAM performance !

View PostGoose, on 20 April 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

See: "winsat mem" is the quick and dirty subset that gets this job, of filling out these strings, done; The full-on
winsat formal -restart clean
is the proper way to do it, but takes a few minutes to run, and it's been recommended to re-run it after every, or after a wave, of upgrades and patches. New RAM, new video card driver, and M$ says it's Patch Tuesday? You can winsat them all in one fell swoop …
Many thanks for this tip B)
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>winsat mem
Windows-Systembewertungstool
> Wird ausgeführt: Featureaufzählung ''
> Laufzeit 00:00:00.00
> Wird ausgeführt: Bewertung der Systemspeicherleistung ''
> Laufzeit 00:00:05.17
> Arbeitsspeicherleistung					  19759.18 MB/s
> Gesamtausführungszeit 00:00:06.83

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

View PostMavRCK, on 03 July 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

Went back to my original settings for best visuals while sniping:

Posted Image
Many thanks for your tips too ... I now use similar settings with HIGH instead of VERY HIGH for my 650m GPU in my MacBookPro 9,1 @ 1440x900 B)
I have 55 FPS in the mechlab ... and a average of 40 FPS while playing.

Edited by M E X, 18 November 2015 - 12:28 AM.

#39 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

You, sir, would seem a candidate for "sys_MaxFPS = 42" to see if you minimums come up.

#40 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:29 AM

View PostGoose, on 18 November 2015 - 12:50 PM, said:

You, sir, would seem a candidate for "sys_MaxFPS = 42" to see if you minimums come up.

Stabilizing framerate is important for laptops where thermal limitations must be considered. Don't overheat your laptop with unnecessary spikes in FPS which in turn overheat your gpu and drop them - better to keep a stable fps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users